The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

2017 Sunset League / Division 2

Bick

2017 Sunset League / Division 2

Postby Bick » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:24 pm

The Sunset League will get a lot more interesting next year when CDM replaces Marina. Should have replaced FV IMO - Marina is on the rise. Until 2018, it's a 2 horse race for the 24th consecutive year. Since '94, Edison won 12 times, Los Al 11

Standings when the dust settles in early Nov from a Los Al guy's view:

1. Los Al - time for them to even the slate. Strong front 7 puts them over the top.
2. Edison - O'Connor is a dude, and has a good target in Atencio. Rest of cast will be solid as usual
3. Newport - A couple decent QB's for Coach Brinkley to get the most out of. Losing Kinder and Chalmers too?
4. Marina - The Vikes on the rise under Jeff Turley. Get 2 league wins this year.
5. Hunt Beach - Injuries and other issues killed the Oilers last year. Good coaching staff kept it from true disaster.
6. FV - tough times for the Barons, but at least they'll be able to run fast.

Division 2
The most competitive division top to bottom last year looks to be the same again this year despite the a lot of movement in and out of the division.
Outgoing:
To D-1 - San Clemente & Murr Valley
To D-3 - Crespi, Westlake, Citrus Hill, El Toro, Camarillo
Incoming:
From D-1 - Upland & Tesoro
From D-3 - Edison, La Mirada, Los Al, Cathedral
From D5 - Calabassas

4 OC teams total

18 playoff teams from 15 different leagues. 9 league champs and 3 2nd place teams. In the 2016 playoffs - 2 CIF champs, 1 runner up, 3 semis, 5 qtrs.

Looks like 15 teams should be auto-qualifiers, with St. Bonny, Tesoro & Notre Dame (SO) arm wrestling for the lone AL spot.

Calpreps pre-season shows this order in the division:
1. Edison (D-3 *)
2. Valencia/Valencia (2)
3. Oaks Christian (2)
4. Upland (1)
5. Norco (2)
6. Heritage (Romoland) 2
7. Great Oak (2)
8. Calabasas (D-5 *)
9. Los Alamitos (3)
10. Cathedral (3)
11. St. Bonaventure (2)
12. La Habra (2)
13. Tesoro (1)
14. La Mirada (D-3 #)
15. Notre Dame/SO (2)
16. Arroyo Grande (2)
17. Redlands East Valley (2)
18. Chino Hills (2)

I think Norco & Upland are the top dogs going in.
Next group: Valencia, Los Al, Edison, Calabassas
Followed by: Heritage, Oaks, La Habra, St Bonny
Then: Cathedral, Notre Dame, Great Oak, Tesoro
Lastly: La Mirada, REV, Arroyo Grande, Chino Hills

Shaping up for a fun year.

Playthegame

Re: 2017 Sunset League / Division 2

Postby Playthegame » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:33 pm

Nice post Bick...I am hoping to catch Norco at some point this yr...they are big upfront from what I am hearing and Travis Dye is game breaker. Keep your eyes on Los Al...Excellent break down of D2, great division, most of the teams have been competing at a high level of late, indeed going to be a fun year!

RoadRunner

Postby RoadRunner » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:02 am

PTG...damn ...I still owe you some wings, honestly I just forgot.

I don`t know if Norco is the favorite here they do return 16 starters and got two transfer starters from Chino HS (OG) and SS from Riverside ND. Offensively they will put up some points- Dye will have a special year running behind that OL....our problem will be our secondary which killed us in big games the last few years.

Norco has a pretty tough pre season with Servite, Orange Lutheran, Rancho Cucamonga and Chino Hills ...So I will hold judgement on them...
" Inter-National Scouting Director for Youth Football"

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:42 am

RoadRunner wrote:PTG...damn ...I still owe you some wings, honestly I just forgot.

No worries Runner...I haven't forgot how to eat so when ever is convenient! Perhaps around the Norco vs. Servite @Servite contest on the 25th. Really want to see these teams with pads on and my guys are off that week...

RoadRunner

Postby RoadRunner » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:16 am

Sweet...game will be at Norco

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:52 am

Good to know, Maxpreps has it at Servite, I thought that was odd...all good now!

RoadRunner

Postby RoadRunner » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:03 am

Servite couldn`t secure the field...so game was moved to Norco...Norco just got new turf put in...stadium looks really nice..
https://www.instagram.com/p/BW9Joa_gZC4/?taken-by=frewzer

Bick

Postby Bick » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:10 pm

More D2 stuff

Geography breakdown
6 IE
4 OC + La Mirada
3 T-Oaks/Ventura + Arroyo Grande
3 LA / SFV / Clarita

12 public / 4 privates

Top rushing - Heritage (return Sherod White)
Top passing - Calabasas (Gebbia graduated)

OC HS Football Fan

Postby OC HS Football Fan » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:07 pm

Great analysis Bick! Thanks for sharing. Some thoughts:

Los Al will be lights out defensively (especially against the run with that front 7), but they look like they'll struggle throwing the ball. Can you expect much out of them in the playoffs if they're one dimensional offensively?

Upland looks like they're loaded at the skill positions, but do they have the line to go deep in the playoffs? I'm not sold on Baldwin as a passer. He is really inconsistent and doesn't make really good decisions.

Curious to see what Norco can do this year. They were a ways off last year. Returning all of those kids will help, but enough to be CIF champs? That non-league schedule looks like it will get them ready! Kudos to them for scheduling those teams!

Calabasas will not go deep in the playoffs. They lost too much talent, are jumping up far too many levels, do not have the line to compete at a high level, and look to start a sophomore QB who didn't light it up when he received some varsity reps last year (he's a year away).

La Mirada is going to be awful. They lost everyone, including some key offensive line transfers, their coach, and are going to be really young as well as inexperienced. Will lose in the first round.

Can Oaks bounce back from the Corrall drama? Who do they even have at QB? They had a good looking 6'4" sophomore leave the program AFTER Corrall did, and where there is smoke....

Cathedral and La Habra are my two sleepers to make deep runs. Both have serious question marks, but both have some really nice pieces too.

Can we get this season started already? This division is going to be really exciting!

Bick

Postby Bick » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:36 am

Agree about Los Al's D. I think it's going to be one of the best units in the division. Offensively, Los Al is geared around the run, and that's a departure from previous years before Fenton arrived. Not really big on the passing league champ stuff anymore. Seemed to work out better when the pads came on last year. That said, I think Caraway will be efficient running the offense, and the WR's should be able to take advantage of single coverage as I think most D's will be stacked against the run.

It'll be interesting to see how Edison handles the new coaching transition. I'm guessing they'll stay true to what's worked in the past. As much as their offense garnered much of the headlines, their D was pretty stout.

Oaks has a couple dudes on D also. Might not be the shorts champs, but should be in the mix like most of the group.

Don't know much about the IE teams...RR...you around?

TheFan

Postby TheFan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:04 am

I saw the Edison scrimmage. Any update on how the others did , Marina ?
How is HB frosh QB ?
Did Newport and FV even scrimmage ?

Bick

Postby Bick » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:59 pm

How was Edison scrimmage?

TheFan

Postby TheFan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:43 pm

I posted earlier about the Edison/MD scrimmage. Both teams did not show much. Edison never blitz, MD did ?
Edison ran inside and outside zone read out of the pistol (mostly inside) and ran the same three patterns/tree of our twins or doubles .
Edison QB going to have a good year he looks better, Edison O line needs to block better especially run block, and they miss their stud center who I thought was the best player in the league and maybe all of OC. He dominated the game.
Edison is really small this year, I have never seen them this small, but they have some pretty good football players and good enough to win league. MD was about 48 point better to me, they should be playing Golden West.

Who did Los Al scrimmage ?

TheFan

Postby TheFan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:43 pm

I posted earlier about the Edison/MD scrimmage. Both teams did not show much. Edison never blitz, MD did ?
Edison ran inside and outside zone read out of the pistol (mostly inside) and ran the same three patterns/tree of our twins or doubles .
Edison QB going to have a good year he looks better, Edison O line needs to block better especially run block, and they miss their stud center who I thought was the best player in the league and maybe all of OC. He dominated the game.
Edison is really small this year, I have never seen them this small, but they have some pretty good football players and good enough to win league. MD was about 48 point better to me, they should be playing Golden West.

Who did Los Al scrimmage ?

TheFan

Postby TheFan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:04 pm

My predictions

1) Los Al, will play fast and hard.
2) Edison, tough call but their size worries me against Los Al
3) Newport...Brink factor, but its wide open, no clear 3rd or 6th..like watch sets from the 80's too
4) FV..Nolan factor + one year...
5) Marina...short on athletes and foot speed
6) HB..Frosh QB ? if he was great he would be at MD or SJB...weak up front

Bick

Postby Bick » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:33 pm

Los Al had a limited scrimmage v Western. Lots of special teams, some situational stuff and about 20 plays each for the #1 O/D. Both coaches know / trust each other so it doesn't get chippy, and both come out unscathed for the start of the season while accomplishing some things. Reminded me more of a joint practice that NE does than a game.

Defense was more about "fitting" than hitting. Offense seemed to be about pace and tempo than just ramming it down their throats. Both Qb's looked good, and the #2 looked as good as I've seen this year. Punter with a decent leg seemed to emerge. Hopefully he won't see much action this year.

Can't really glean much from it all though.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:10 pm

CDM will shake this division up next year.

Bick

Postby Bick » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:32 pm

Not sure they'll climb into D2 next year, but they'll make the Sunset league more interesting.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:42 pm

Bumping off J Serra might help.
Things under Obama got a lot worse before they started to get better – and they only started to get better after the GOP took over half of Congress and put the brakes on spending.

OC HS Football Fan

Postby OC HS Football Fan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:21 pm

CdM is not going to beat JSerra.

They have a shot at doing something in D3 next year if they can handle that weak D4 division that they "somehow" fell back into. Does anyone else suspect they lobbied for it in a year they're breaking in a new QB?

With MD recruiting like they do, the Moore and Humphries type players who used to want to go to MD will continue to go to CdM since it's a safe place to land (play earlier and get film against that weaker D4 competition).

Return to “High School”