The Sunset League will get a lot more interesting next year when CDM replaces Marina. Should have replaced FV IMO - Marina is on the rise. Until 2018, it's a 2 horse race for the 24th consecutive year. Since '94, Edison won 12 times, Los Al 11
Standings when the dust settles in early Nov from a Los Al guy's view:
1. Los Al - time for them to even the slate. Strong front 7 puts them over the top.
2. Edison - O'Connor is a dude, and has a good target in Atencio. Rest of cast will be solid as usual
3. Newport - A couple decent QB's for Coach Brinkley to get the most out of. Losing Kinder and Chalmers too?
4. Marina - The Vikes on the rise under Jeff Turley. Get 2 league wins this year.
5. Hunt Beach - Injuries and other issues killed the Oilers last year. Good coaching staff kept it from true disaster.
6. FV - tough times for the Barons, but at least they'll be able to run fast.
The most competitive division top to bottom last year looks to be the same again this year despite the a lot of movement in and out of the division.
To D-1 - San Clemente & Murr Valley
To D-3 - Crespi, Westlake, Citrus Hill, El Toro, Camarillo
From D-1 - Upland & Tesoro
From D-3 - Edison, La Mirada, Los Al, Cathedral
From D5 - Calabassas
4 OC teams total
18 playoff teams from 15 different leagues. 9 league champs and 3 2nd place teams. In the 2016 playoffs - 2 CIF champs, 1 runner up, 3 semis, 5 qtrs.
Looks like 15 teams should be auto-qualifiers, with St. Bonny, Tesoro & Notre Dame (SO) arm wrestling for the lone AL spot.
Calpreps pre-season shows this order in the division:
1. Edison (D-3 *)
2. Valencia/Valencia (2)
3. Oaks Christian (2)
4. Upland (1)
5. Norco (2)
6. Heritage (Romoland) 2
7. Great Oak (2)
8. Calabasas (D-5 *)
9. Los Alamitos (3)
10. Cathedral (3)
11. St. Bonaventure (2)
12. La Habra (2)
13. Tesoro (1)
14. La Mirada (D-3 #)
15. Notre Dame/SO (2)
16. Arroyo Grande (2)
17. Redlands East Valley (2)
18. Chino Hills (2)
I think Norco & Upland are the top dogs going in.
Next group: Valencia, Los Al, Edison, Calabassas
Followed by: Heritage, Oaks, La Habra, St Bonny
Then: Cathedral, Notre Dame, Great Oak, Tesoro
Lastly: La Mirada, REV, Arroyo Grande, Chino Hills
Shaping up for a fun year.