The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

North Texas Football

not4u13

North Texas Football

Postby not4u13 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:25 am

Here in North Texas, Collin County is often compared to Orange County. That's the county I live in and I live in the city of McKinney. HS football here is serious business. The Allen Eagles are a powerhouse team and they have an incredible stadium to play in. Tens of millions of dollars. The surrounding cities are scrambling to keep pace.

Frisco is the beneficiary of commercial stadiums that allow High School teams to play in them at no cost to the school. First there was Toyota Stadium, which is a soccer stadium home to the Frisco MLS team. Now there is Ford Field, which is the domed Dallas Cowboys practice field. These fields are not reserved just for post season play. They are the "home stadium" for Frisco high schools.

About a year ago the residents of McKinney voted to build their own multi-million dollar HS football stadium that is now under construction. Just to the north of McKinney and Frisco, the city of Prosper announced earlier this month that they are also building a state of the art stadium for HS football.

Of course, a stadium does not make a team good, but it's just amazing to me to see the money poured into these projects, all from property taxes. There is really no end in sight either. Collin County continues to grow very fast and property values are increasing by 10% or more each year. Because there is no prop 13, so too do property taxes on that property. There is no cap and the revenue is pouring in.

A recent transplant from OC, I continue to be amazed by this.

Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

Bick

Re: North Texas Football

Postby Bick » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:18 am

Here's a rendering of that stadium in Prosper. It's really big time. Looks just like Handel Stadium!

https://vimeo.com/225915809

not4u13

Postby not4u13 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:41 am

Did you happen to notice the banquet area in the end zone toward the end of the video? No more end of year banquet at a Hotel. The press box area is unreal. The visitors side reminds me of the home side of a lot of the nicer OC stadiums.

They also have the Natatorium. Not sure what all is going to be in there, but that indoor swimming pool will be great for year round training and events. No ice cold morning water polo practice.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir

not4u13

Postby not4u13 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:51 am

Here is a link to a story about the McKinney stadium.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/mckinne ... s-trustees

$70M. High School. 12,000 seats. (both McKinney and Prosper stadiums)
Allen Eagle Stadium seats 18,000.

The Santa Ana Bowl seats 10,000. OCC LeBard is around 7,500. Most of the HS stadiums in OC (even the largest) seat around 5,000. You have to go to the Home Depot Center and that is 27,000.

The scale on these things is massive by comparison.

not4u13

Postby not4u13 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:59 am

I ran across this site. Crazy stuff. Didn't realize there were several stadiums over 15,000 seating capacity, including one in Fort Worth.

http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/region_ ... egion=%204

Toyota Stadium that I mentioned above that is home to the Texas MLS team is 20,000. Similar in concept to the Home Depot center

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:34 am

Any idea why high school football is so big there or how far back it goes? Maybe it was the only game in town at one point? Tribal type rivalries between towns? Do non-Texans who move there get into it as much as the people who've been there for generations? It's an interesting phenomenon to me.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

watchersince68

Postby watchersince68 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:18 am

I have long said we should be building something, maybe not so elaborate, in the Great Park where Big games could be played. Then you may see some of South County People come out to see some great high school football.
Build it they will come.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:28 am

Suggest naming it after Larry Agran and it will get built. </snark>
Don't look at me, I just work here.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:09 am

,,,actually the great park has a number of soccer fields in the complex now and I think the
athletic fields open up this month? --- one of the soccer fields has a 5,000 seat fan capacity, I think;
You could easily add markings, goal posts, etc., and turn it into a very good HSFB stadium for
teams to play on - something for HS team(s) that have a hassle in finding a stadium to play
home games at - something to look into... ( I could not tell if the field had lights, a major drawback)

NJtoNYCtoSOC

Postby NJtoNYCtoSOC » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:58 am

For comparison, is there any consensus on who has the nicest on-campus HS stadium in LA/OC?

not4u13

Postby not4u13 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:16 am

I don't know the history. I can say that a Friday Night HSFB game here is a community event. Not only are the FB teams there, but they have large dance/drill teams, large cheer squads, very large marching bands. It's as though the entire school comes together for one event. That kind of thing creates enormous school pride and that tends to breed rivalries that transcend the graduating class.

Perhaps it is also the generally friendly/community minded nature of those from the south. Texans are known to host large gatherings around the outdoor BBQ with lots of smoked meat and beer.

It's bigger than a FB game.

Realtors in the area talk about the FB programs as part of the quality of the schools, which we know affects property values. Some of the arguments made to residents for spending this kind of money on a stadium is to keep up with the neighboring communities or the property value growth will stagnate. All over HSFB.

Keep in mind, these stadiums are often "district" stadiums that are home field for three or high schools. Allen is an exception but that's because they just decided to have a massive HS with student enrollment of nearly 6500. That's three times the size of neighboring high schools.

paperRANCHObag_Grad

Postby paperRANCHObag_Grad » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:23 pm

I've always been a fan of stadiums and would always look out the window on drives as a kid to check them out. I've been aware of the Texas Bob stadium site since 2004 and have known since then the day/night of Texas vs California stadiums.

Check out the high school stadiums in Fresno/Clovis, they look comparable. Also the new stadiums at Pioneer and Cal High Schools in Whittier, both the same but look amazing, they're probably the best in the area. Yorba Linda is one of the nicest in the county, but none really compare to anything in Texas.

Even the newer stadiums in the county (Grove, SA Sports Complex, Costa Mesa) would be ranked lower than some 6 man school stadiums.

scj60

Postby scj60 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:14 pm

During my 1st trip to North Dallas over 2 decades ago I drove past a stadium in the Plano area. Looked like it sat 20K+. I asked my friend which college played there. He said that is was a HS stadium......

Return to “High School”