The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

LB Poly drops its JV football program

Bick

LB Poly drops its JV football program

Postby Bick » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:52 pm

Wow - times are a changin'.

Beginning of the end of the bunnies?
Last edited by John Q. Public on Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unexplained link removed

cruiser

Re: LB Poly drops its JV football program

Postby cruiser » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:41 pm

...if LBP (4600+- enrollment) can't come up with enough numbers for a JV team then you know HSFB in SoCal is probably in a steady decline?

insidetrinity

Postby insidetrinity » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:44 pm

things tend not to go well when you hire a coach whos never been a coach or ran a program

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:58 am

Hmm, I'm wondering what LBP's numbers look like for their varsity team? It's hard to believe an
old/storied program like LBP can't come up with enough numbers ESPECIALLY for FB!

The program started a downward drift when Lara (sp) left.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:43 am

According to the article, Poly has 60 varsity players.

2002tony

Postby 2002tony » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:31 am

I think blaming a coach at one school for the sharp decline in players when we see the same decline in the majority of other schools is not close to being fair.
If you think it is a fair comment to post then I guess you feel with your comment that because he is not running a program at LBP that has kept the numbers up is why the coaches in the Trinity have not either. They must get their guidance from him in your opinion judging from that post.

Bick

Postby Bick » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:22 am

11-man Football participation in CA over the past 5 years

1,017 schools had 97k players in 2016-17 - 95 players per school
1,064 had 100k in 2015-16 - 94 players
1,063 had 103k in 2014-15 - 97
1,049 had 103k in 2013-14 - 98
1,045 had 102k in 2012-13 - 98

3% decline over a 5 year period doesn't seem particularly steep.

https://www.nfhs.org/ParticipationStati ... tatistics/

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:09 pm

Football is still a very popular sport, but recent head trauma publicity and neg press coverage may be contributing to kids deciding to play other sports.

3% decline nationally over 5yrs is not telling, 60 varsity player's is still a good number roster for Varsity, just seems like a nothing burger...ebb n flow...

A lot of teams JV are comprised mostly of sophs anyway so this has been in process for a long time. Seems to be more of a Moore league issue and the district enrollment tracks than lack of interest albeit down over other periods.

One glaring stat is the drop over the last five years at Poly...School District policy seems to me to be the driving factor. It was bound to happen at some point.

So if MV beats poly they go to Number ten...right?

2002tony

Postby 2002tony » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:59 pm

3 % is not telling the whole story here in the so calif where we have seen many schools drop from 75 to 80 kids out for freshman football supporting two teams to down under 40 and supporting 1 team. All the programs in the south coast league have dropped from 2 teams to 1 with programs like mission viejo and trabuco always having upwards to 90 out for freshman football down under 40. On other boards That cover other areas I have read the same thing. Even in the Trinity league as a whole has felt that same reduction where I think it is only 1/2 the programs still have 2 full freshman teams. That is a lot more then 3 %.

2002tony

Postby 2002tony » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:07 pm

PTG, lol no it just means that the preseason polls had them too high. That or a lot of ppl are buying in to what Antonio is saying and forgetting he said the same thing last year in the preseason before they got whooped.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:10 pm

Playthegame wrote:One glaring stat is the drop over the last five years at Poly...School District policy seems to me to be the driving factor.

Even with the general decline in numbers at most SoCal schools, I agree that district policy may be the biggest culprit in the dramatic decreases at Poly. For decades, any kid with football talent who lived in the LBUSD could attend Poly..and they did. In the last two years, the district has made it much more difficult for a family to send their son to any high school other than the one in whose enrollment area they reside. The result is not only a decrease in the numbers at Poly, but probably an even greater decrease in the talent level.

Bick

Postby Bick » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:36 pm

2002tony wrote:3 % is not telling the whole story here in the so calif where we have seen many schools drop from 75 to 80 kids out for freshman football supporting two teams to down under 40 and supporting 1 team. All the programs in the south coast league have dropped from 2 teams to 1 with programs like mission viejo and trabuco always having upwards to 90 out for freshman football down under 40. On other boards That cover other areas I have read the same thing. Even in the Trinity league as a whole has felt that same reduction where I think it is only 1/2 the programs still have 2 full freshman teams. That is a lot more then 3 %.

Are you saying the nfhs stats are not accurate? Or the no cal schools are actually increasing by some measure to offset the greater decreases here in so cal?

But while we're throwing numbers around, Los Al has an enrollment of just north of 3,200 kids, and Poly has over 4,300 kids. So Poly with 1,000 more kids, can't field a JV team...and that's NOT a function of the program itself? If you read the coach's remarks, he's putting this on the district for not allowing enrollment / transfers. Sorry...that has a hard time passing the smell test.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:05 pm

I also believe it is district policy that is making the difference. And I think it is a good thing that will improve the Moore League as a whole.
Things under Obama got a lot worse before they started to get better – and they only started to get better after the GOP took over half of Congress and put the brakes on spending.

frankieboy1

Postby frankieboy1 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:39 pm

don't forget demographics...

If you have lots of Asian kids in your HS-bad for elite football (eg: Irvine USD) and team sports in general (good for band, golf/tennis/badminton)
If you have first-gen Hispanic kids in your HS-bad for elite football (good for boy's soccer-not so much for girl's soccer)
If you have middle/upper middle class white kids, good for football if you can keep them from going private (eg: CDM, Edison, MV, San Clemente)
If you have middle/upper middle-class 2-parent family black kids great for football
If you have lower middle/poor black kids, hit/miss (due to problems in home)
If you have Polynesian kids, great for football (football replacement for warrior training in traditional culture)

If you can get a mix of 4 through 6 in a large public HS, you have a dynasty (eg: Oceanside HS, Poly, Edison in it's heyday, Los Alamitos in it's heyday)

If the development was built 15-25 years ago, schools are likely to be large and full of middle-class kids-good for football. 40-50 years old-less kids, lots of retired in place -not good for large numbers in football.

My point-demographics are destiny. Suspect some of the issues at Poly are demographic, some district policy, and the combination of the two may lead to talented kids going private (Trinity League, Serra Gardena, etc).

Is St. Anthony/Long Beach football improving? This may be a bellwether of what is happening in LBUSD also.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:47 pm

frankieboy1, your points have merit, but they are long term. Demographic changes can't explain the relatively rapid decline of 50% in Poly's football body count. It's the recent change in the district's attendance policies that are the most likely cause.

frankieboy1

Postby frankieboy1 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:06 pm

agree-I do think that numbers as a whole are going to decline unless the equipment/rules makers figure out what to do with concussions.

downtothewire

Postby downtothewire » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:22 pm

We all saw this coming from last year and discussed it.

viewtopic.php?t=23890#p534581

Bick

Postby Bick » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:42 pm

MDDad wrote: It's the recent change in the district's attendance policies that are the most likely cause.

Not sure I concur given the 4,300 enrollment there. Is there a school in OC with that many students? Heck, Edison has like 2,600 and somehow they manage.

Also think it's complete BS to drop this news at this point of the year. Those 4 teams that scheduled JV games will likely only get to play 9 games this year. Did LBP just figure out there weren't enough soph's and juniors to fill a JV team? Pretty GD selfish on their part.

And c'mon. 60 on the varsity roster. There's not 30+ soph / jrs that wouldn't want to play? They'd rather sit on the sidelines all year? Western has 48 combined JV / V kids.

Something is really fishy.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:03 pm

Bick, I think you misunderstood what I said. My comment was that the new district policy most likely helps explain the rapid numbers decline. It has nothing to do with the school's decision to drop JV football, or whether or not 100 players is enough to support three games a week.

Sixth Man

Postby Sixth Man » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:57 pm

Frankieboy, I once made a similar comment about demographics on this board and got destroyed as a racist. I hope you don't receive the same fate. Demographics play a part in it.

Return to “High School”