The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

Let's Keep Talking About Confederate Statues

Professor Fate

Let's Keep Talking About Confederate Statues

Postby Professor Fate » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:27 pm

More statue controversy please! This is a losing issue for Democrats. Every poll says that Americans overwhelmingly think the statues should stay. The Marist poll just taken shows that 62% of all Americans want the statues to remain as historical figures. Only 27% say they "should be removed because they are offensive to some people." 11% unsure.

Republicans will win on this issue, the more ridiculous the opposition becomes. This reminds me of the Transgender bathrooms nonsense which was the last straw for middle America in the last election.

Regarding the statues, even among Democrats, only a slim majority thinks the statues should be removed (47%-44%). Independents are siding with the Republicans 61% to 27%.

So more statue controversy please! Let's hear also about the removal of Washington, Jefferson, Hancock statues!

The poll also is very bad news to Democrats because the 27% who want these statues to be removed, are those who were not going to vote for Trump ANYWAY. All this is doing, is driving the independents to support Trump and the GOP on yet anther issue, and to rally Trump's base.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavl ... n-n2370029

BTW, eight people have been arrested and charged with both felonies and misdemeanors for pulling down the statue in N. Carolina. They are members of the "Workers World Party" led that day by a pro N. Korea Marxist. Now who do you think those people will support in 2020? :mrgreen:

Things under Obama got a lot worse before they started to get better – and they only started to get better after the GOP took over half of Congress and put the brakes on spending.

Wabash

Re: Let's Keep Talking About Confederate Statues

Postby Wabash » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:34 pm

Professor Fate wrote:So more statue controversy please! Let's hear also about the removal of Washington, Jefferson, Hancock statues!

This is a false equivalency designed to deflect the issue.
I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

We only started hearing about fake news when we elected a fake president.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:44 pm

Professor Fate wrote:Republicans will win on this issue,...

Actually, the cities they're in will win on this. The rest of us don't get a vote.

Let's hear also about the removal of Washington, Jefferson, Hancock statues!

Yeah. False equivalence. Read up on the statues' history.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:49 pm

Yeah, I imagine there are a sizable group of people too stupid to understand the difference between Civil War generals who rebelled against the United States in order to preserve slavery, and the Founding Fathers. After all, they even heard the President make the same stupid mistake.

Most people don't realize when most of those statues were put up and why.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:53 pm

Here's an interesting (to say the least) part of this poll. Even African American's favor leaving the statues in place as historical monuments, by 44% to 40% with 16% unsure. So just what is this all about? This poll was taken after the Charlottesville riot.

If you don't believe the poll said that, check for yourself. It's on page 11.

http://maristpoll.marist.edu/wp-content ... pdf#page=3
Things under Obama got a lot worse before they started to get better – and they only started to get better after the GOP took over half of Congress and put the brakes on spending.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:58 pm

I saw a tweet today that said Pelosi wants to remove Confederate statues (busts, maybe?) from the US Capitol. Why on earth do we have statues of secessionists in the US Capitol in the first place? That doesn't make a lick of sense.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:06 pm

Perhaps because Washington D.C is the capital of all 50 states, not just the North, and the statues are a part of the history of 11 present day US states, not to mention the nation as a whole, no?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:28 pm

But this is the US Capitol building. The place where Congress meets. The place where the Southern Representatives lost the vote and said "Aw, to Hell with it. We quit. See ya at Ft. Sumter." Makes no sense. Can you name any other country where they'd put statues (busts?) of people they fought a war with in their capitol building?

broman

Postby broman » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:32 pm

Professor Fate wrote:More statue controversy please! This is a losing issue for Democrats

Professor Fate wrote:Republicans will win on this issue, the more ridiculous the opposition becomes.

Excuse me if we over reacted to Neo- Nazis and Klan members.

Professor Fate wrote: All this is doing, is driving the independents to support Trump and the GOP on yet anther issue, and to rally Trump's base.

Do you get a "I voted with the KKK sticker"?

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:42 pm

Two different issues Broman. Just because the KKK opposes an issue that I oppose, doesn't mean I approve of the KKK. Seriously, Broman...is that the kind of argument you are reduced to? That's like saying that because both Hitler and I wiped/wipe our asses with toilet paper, I must approve of him. ](*,)

broman

Postby broman » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:46 pm

I'll keep looking for the threads you started before the Klan Rally in Virginia about your love of Confederate Statues.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:56 pm

The Marist poll just taken shows that 62% of all Americans want the statues to remain as historical figures.

Should polls be the deciding issue? What about the people who actually live in those towns? Shouldn't they have final say?

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:03 pm

broman wrote:I'll keep looking for the threads you started before the Klan Rally in Virginia about your love of Confederate Statues.

You do that. You'll find that while I didn't start any such threads, I commented on the subject several times this year during the New Orleans statue removals, right here on this forum. Not sure how you could have missed it.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:09 pm

Here, I'll help you.

viewtopic.php?t=24481

You'll find eleven posts by yours truly in this thread. :slapfight:

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:15 am

How about this guy? Nathan Bedford Forrest. Lt. General in the Confederate Army. There's a statue of him on horseback in Memphis and this bust in the state capitol building.

nathan bedford forrest.jpg

"State Sen. Kerry Roberts, R-Springfield, notes that many people called for the immediate removal of a bust of Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest from the state Capitol after last summer's shooting in Charleston.

"'And I don’t want us to try and erase our history because of a moment of political correctness. I want us to be very thoughtful.'"

http://nashvillepublicradio.org/post/so ... e#stream/0

I guess it only matters to whiny Liberals that he was also the KKK's first Grand Dragon.

broman

Postby broman » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:58 am

Professor Fate wrote:You do that. You'll find that while I didn't start any such threads, I commented on the subject several times this year during the New Orleans statue removals, right here on this forum. Not sure how you could have missed it.

Just of reminder of the people on your side of the argument

All his company did was drop off a fence.

But that was enough this week for white supremacists across the country to call the unidentified contractor’s business ― hired by the city of New Orleans to drop off the fence at the soon-to-be-torn-down Jefferson Davis monument ― and threaten him.

“Specifically, they said they were going to burn me, they were going to burn my trucks, they were going to come to my yard and protest, they’re not gonna let my trucks leave the yard, they going to protest all day long, and one woman from Mississippi specifically said she’s going to make sure that I’m going to get burned and my truck is going to get burned,” the contractor told WVUE Fox 8. “That’s how bad it is.”

And in April, former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke posted on Twitter the name, address, and phone number of a local business hired to remove the monuments.

remember this guy?
Dylann Roof massacred nine black parishioners at Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, South Carolina in 2015.

Roof, a white supremacist, revered the Confederate flag, often posing in pictures with the symbol of the Southern army and the bloody regime of slavery it sought to uphold. The state of South Carolina eventually removed the flag from outside its statehouse.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/new ... 4c734e7b5d

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:45 am

I dismiss the whole "removing history" argument. The history existed before these statues were erected. I'm betting the history will exist after they are gone.
I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

We only started hearing about fake news when we elected a fake president.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:11 am

Maybe the are sincere about "losing history" with the statues because they can't read books?
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Bick

Postby Bick » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:27 am

Professor Fate wrote:Two different issues Broman. Just because the KKK opposes an issue that I oppose, doesn't mean I approve of the KKK. Seriously, Broman...is that the kind of argument you are reduced to? That's like saying that because both Hitler and I wiped/wipe our asses with toilet paper, I must approve of him

I think you've just described mob logic.

Here's a good one for you. The mob left is also currently arguing the confederate states were traitors for seceding the union. I've not read any such criticism directed toward our great state for wanting the same.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:35 am

We haven't seceded. And we haven't attacked Fort Huachuca.

Return to “National”