The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

North Korea and trump

Vilepagan

North Korea and trump

Postby Vilepagan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:30 pm

I'm just curious if there's anyone out there who's happy with the idea of trump being in charge when the crap hits the ventilator in NK.

Is there anyone who feels comfortable with the trump finger over the nuclear button?

There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Wabash

Re: North Korea and trump

Postby Wabash » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:09 pm

I never started worrying about another war until Trump became president.
I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

We only started hearing about fake news when we elected a fake president.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:50 pm

I am! :thumbsup:
Things under Obama got a lot worse before they started to get better – and they only started to get better after the GOP took over half of Congress and put the brakes on spending.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:27 pm

PF, what's your enlistment date?
I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:27 pm

PF, what's your enlistment date?

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:31 pm

1970. Yours?
Things under Obama got a lot worse before they started to get better – and they only started to get better after the GOP took over half of Congress and put the brakes on spending.

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:49 pm

Professor Fate wrote:I am!

Why?
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Bick

Postby Bick » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:59 pm

Were you around during the Reagan years?

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:21 pm

Yes..was that supposed to answer the question?

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:43 pm

Professor Fate wrote:I am! :thumbsup:

Can't say I'm surprised...I'm curious, where would you draw the line? How about Curtis LeMay's finger? Brig. Gen. Jack D. Ripper? Carrot Top?

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:44 pm

Not interested.

If you are a Vietnam vet then I have to ask why you would so willing to send Americans off to fight another war in a country that has posed no existential threat to us till Trump.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:13 pm

We're actively fighting in what, seven countries right now? North Korea--and South Korea--will make eight and nine.

We can afford it, I guess.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Bick

Postby Bick » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:33 pm

Vilepagan wrote:Yes..was that supposed to answer the question?

Then you'd remember all the handwringing about him leading us into WW3 or a nuclear holocaust with Russia.

Reagan stood up to Gorbachev. Trump needs to stand up to the Korean dude.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:08 pm

Reagan stood up to Gorbachev, but he had a number of other factors working in his favor that Trump doesn't have. Besides an arms race, Reagan had an oil price that had dropped by a third, a European embargo on Russian natural gas and Russia burning through money fighting in Afghanistan. Russia's economy was weaker than it had been in God only knows how long and Reagan took advantage of it. American military escalation was only a very small factor. Donald has... well, he's acting really tough with NK.

Plus Reagan was a whole lot smarter than Trump. So much smarter. Sad.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Bick

Postby Bick » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:31 pm

How does NK economy compare with Russia back then?

If you were around, you will remember all the hand-wringing how we were sure-fire headed to WW3 because he stood up to Gorbachev. Trump is absolutely right to stand up to NK.

You don't like Trump's "tough talk", so what do you suggest?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:52 pm

No idea how their economy is doing but it doesn't seem to be at a low point. Russia's was collapsing, so that was probably a bigger factor than anything else.

Trump's right to act tough but not to get carried away and start shooting. Just one nuke would be a disaster if it hit anything or not and they say that Kim has an ICBM set and ready to launch. No idea if it has a nuke on it. I don't know what the solution is but there has to be one that's better than starting another war.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:09 pm

Bick wrote:Reagan stood up to Gorbachev. Trump needs to stand up to the Korean dude.

I wish I could view things in that simple way. The big difference I see in this scenario is that with Reagan and Gorbachev we were dealing with two stable individuals. With trump and NK we don't even have one.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:38 pm

The two situations aren't even remotely comparable...these threats the DPRK issues almost daily are unprecedented from a nuclear power...and not just towards us, but South Korea and Japan as well
I thought it would be easier
Donald Trump

How stupid is our country?
Donald Trump

Bick

Postby Bick » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:58 pm

They certainly are comparable from the standpoint of aggressive countries with nuclear capabilities. Difference being DPRK continues to develop them AND threatens to use them on our allies.

I doubt we get to the point of war though. If it gets close enough, my guess is he gets taken out either internally or covertly by Chinese. He's getting close to that point IMO.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:47 am

Vilepagan wrote:I'm just curious if there's anyone out there who's happy with the idea of trump being in charge when the crap hits the ventilator in NK.

Is there anyone who feels comfortable with the trump finger over the nuclear button?

Well, nobody with an IQ over 70 is comfortable with Trump in this situation. He's an undisciplined imbecile.

However, I do feel more comfortable given the presence of the three generals, who would have a real clue about what's actually at stake, and Tillerson, who understands the importance of peace to the world economy.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Return to “National”