The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

New OC TOP 10

hit the lights

New OC TOP 10

Postby hit the lights » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:13 am

After another week of football, questions are getting answered on how good teams really are.
Its not 7 on 7 anymore, the trench guys and run game is making its impact. So are some transfers that have landed at some high schools in the OC.

MD- looking like #1 team , no doubt!

OLU- looking like a real good explosive team, Ford, Hawkins, Strong, Loya, Hillinski, etc..

SM- looking better than expected. Norwood, running and throwing, dfense stepping up!

J serra- ANOTHER BIG WIN, and Robinson QB doing his thing, while Al Fisher is pounding and slashing it up.

Servite- Mc Mahon QB leading the Friars!

MV- Arnold, new RB looking explosive, and the Diablos still look to take the South Coast league, but not sure how far in D-1

La Habra- Taylor and physical defense proves they can hang with big boys

SC- Costello, leading Tritons. getting better week by week.

Los Al- DEFENSE

Edison- Oconnor and Defense making a play for the sunset.

on the bubble..... CDM - looking good and pounds ET. Capo Valley, Manning and Defense proves they belong in South coast league. who should be out?

Luca

Re: New OC TOP 10

Postby Luca » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:24 am

I think MV is likely better than SM/JS/OL.

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:16 am

Lights, it was another scrappy contest, but it was 42-13 when MV put in their sophs, are you sure about your statement. MV lost Jamari Ferrel for the season broken leg, and Chuck Redman succumbed to nagging ankle injury, so MV a little banged up, but if they left in the first team, likely 56-13, not exactly hanging...not to take anything away from LH boyz who always come to play and are tough, not as many good players as prior teams but still a great program. Got a little nasty last night as refs did a terrible job. I was on the field for coin toss refs told the boys no trash talking etc but took way to long to make calls, they had 7 refs on the field and instead of making quick calls they let both sides stew and finally high school kids loose respect and get their licks in. Happened on both sides. Very poor officiating. One other thing is when the other side is dominating and puts in their sophomores, I am ok with a score by your first team just for the kids sake but when you don't start to rotate and pound the ball to score points when their is no way to win is classless and that is why you will hear some neg rap on Mazzotta. Everyone paying attention knew that was bush...lot a pride, I get that but then coaches should agree, hey if we are blowing you out we'll just keep our foot on the gas roll you back to D4. Made me feel bad for everybody, as this was cool rivalry in the make, now there is bad blood...we'll see how it goes now but I doubt the series is renewed and if it is, first team will be in the whole game and 60 burger will be on the menu.

Bick

Postby Bick » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:34 am

My vote would be:

1. MV - any discussion?
2. SM - defense has been stellar
3. Olu - we'll find out in next 2 weeks
4. MV - Up 30 in 4th v. LH before subs came in. Handled Vista M, but they seem to be down. Poly & SM up next.
5. JS - Great offense...def?
6. Servite - better than expected, but should be winless in Trinity.
7. SC - might be overrated. Challenged by a down Oside, then routed Fullerton & HB
8. Los Al - JS & Tesoro in 2 weeks. Hard to say right now
9. Edison - handled Canyon w/ backup QB. Def seems to be improving
10. CDM - played JS fairly tight week 1 before handling 2 lower quality opponents

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:57 am

SM, Olu, MV probably pretty even at this point, Olu allowed more points vs. VM than MV. MV plays SM in two weeks, are a little banged up fortunately for them they have guys who can fill in, but LBP next week will tell the future. MV has some clean up to do to be ready for Poly.

SM and Olu meet in league...in two weeks we'll know whose who in the Zoo!

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:29 pm

1. Mater Dei - No doubt.
2. Servite - Not kidding! Strength of Schedule so far 41.5
3. Mission Viejo - Must get healthy.
4. J Serra - Great offense, no defense. SOS so far 37.6
5. Orange Lutheran - Opponents are 1-8. SOS so far 35.4
6. Santa Margarita - SOS so far 32.0 (lowest in the Trinity).
7. San Clemente
8. Los Alamitos
9. La Habra
10. (Tie) Corona Del Mar
10. (Tie) Edison
Things under Obama got a lot worse before they started to get better – and they only started to get better after the GOP took over half of Congress and put the brakes on spending.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:38 pm

1. Mater Dei
2. Orange Lutheran
3. JSerra
4. Servite
5. Mission Viejo
6. Santa Margarita
7. La Habra
8. Edison
9. San Clemente
10. Los Alamitos

OCLongBall

Postby OCLongBall » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:34 pm

This biggest / difference with Servite is improvement with the OLINE and Defense. QB's are interchangeable. Bell will be better than TJ next year and as good this year. We had 5 seconds to throw the ball in many instances and holes you could drive a good size car through. The OLINE is the primary reason for Servite's success period. D is also much more consistent and better across the board talent wise. Servite has not provided that type of protection in years.
Last edited by John Q. Public on Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unnecessary quote removed

ocfootballfan

Postby ocfootballfan » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:34 pm

OLu won handily last night but looked really sloppy doing so.......I wasn't that impressed.

Bick

Postby Bick » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:21 am

Here's the compiled OC Connect board OC Top 10

1. MD (40)
2. OLU (32)
3. JS (28)
4. SM (27)
4. Serv (27)
6. MV (26)
7. SC (13)
8. LH (10)
9. LA (9)
10. ED (6.5)

3-6 pretty close. Big drop off from there.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:30 pm

Don't look now, but Servite, which opened the season ranked about 67th in the state and 698th in the nation, is now rated 11th in the state, and 71st in the nation.

I wonder where they'd be if they didn't have so many penalties. If they ever solve that problem, and put together a mistake free game...nobody is safe.
Things under Obama got a lot worse before they started to get better – and they only started to get better after the GOP took over half of Congress and put the brakes on spending.

Skmns

Postby Skmns » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:43 pm

Don't look now, but Servite has just been called for a personal foul for roughing the polls!

Luca

Postby Luca » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:58 pm

More like a false start.

I have to ask, Mr Fate. What is that degree in again?..........Luca

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:05 pm

nobody is safe

You mean nobody ranked lower than #244 in the nation?

#245 American Fork 2-2
#343 Norco 0-2
#521 Roosevelt 1-1
Oct. 25: "One of the great memories of all time"
Nov.02: "I don't remember much about that meeting..."

How stupid is our country?
Donald Trump

IEking

Postby IEking » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:57 pm

My top 10

1. MD- No explanation needed.
2. SM- No close games and defense only giving up 7 points.
3. MV- Coaching
4. Jserra- QB play
5. Servite- DB play
6. OLU- Better athletes than teams not in the Trinity league.
7. SC- QB play
8. Los Al- Better players other than Trinity league teams
9. LH- Coaching
10. CDM/EDISON

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:54 pm

Trinity, MV and the field

Donald Trump

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:32 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:You mean nobody ranked lower than #244 in the nation?

#245 American Fork 2-2
#343 Norco 0-2
#521 Roosevelt 1-1

Maybe, but none of those games were won by way of a lucky bounce, or a bad call or a miracle comeback. The Friars were clearly the best team in each of those games and the margin of victory was between two and four scores, despite having something like 6 TDs called back by penalties.
Luca wrote:More like a false start.

I have to ask, Mr Fate. What is that degree in again?..........Luca

Didn't you see my movie? I'm obviously a genius in mechanical engineering. But you're right about the false start. Servite was clearly underrated at the start of the season, but I can't fault the rankings after last season's face plant.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:55 pm

Rankings at this point of the season are still mostly guesswork...Servite won't really play a "good" team until league

Donald Trump

Bick

Postby Bick » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:47 pm

Here's the adjusted OC Connect Board OC Top 10

1. MD (50)
2. OLU (37)
3. SM (36)
4. JS (35)
5. MV (34)
4. Serv (33)
7. SC (17)
8. LH (12)
8. LA (12)
10. ED (7)

We'll see if Steve and Dan can get it right this week...

2002tony

Postby 2002tony » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:19 pm

I would say that you could make an argument for any of the two thru six teams to be in any order.

I think the best team that the 2-6 has played so far is American Fork and that team would have beaten all the teams that the top 2-6 have played so far.
It is hard to judge the top 2-6 since all of them would have beaten all the teams that the top 2-6 have played.

To me BA was probably the 2nd best team and even though JSerra won And was clearly the better team they still let BA back into the game giving up 27 points in the first half.

If I was going to pick a team over MV I can see JSerra or Maybe Servite giving a better argument then SM or OLu.

SM still has not played a game that all of the other teams in the top 6 could not have those games with the same results. Every team would have rolled that level of competition IMO The game this week against Mayfair will be another game that will be just a going thru the motions until the final tick of the clock and most likely the 2 and 3rd teams playing the entire 2nd half.

The one team I would not put above MV is OLu as the comparison if we were to make any would be that MIssion Viejo had a much more convincing of a win over Vista Murrieta then OLu did. With MIssion leading 41-0 they pulled their starters at the beginning of the 4th. Vista scored with 3:40 left in the 2nd quarter to make it 26-20 in favor of OLu. Not so convincing up to that point and I believe OLu had given up more yards in rushing and total yards in the first half then Mission gave up the whole game.

With that said I truly believe that each teams games can't really be compared against another teams games and make a really good assessment for placement. One way though is with a common opponent and in those cases where there is a common opponent you can't just say by the score one team is better then another because there are just so many factors unless one game is so lopsided or results in a loss

However picking one team over another is what we are doing for fun and that is my take on 2-6 in the OC.

I can make a MV homer of a statement and just say that everyone had them picked 2 at the beginning of the season and even this last week and they have not put in such a lacking in performance that would prove they don't belong there. Until some other team can clearly show they are better, I don't see any reason they are not no. 2.

Return to “High School”