The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

Register High School Football Coverage

ocfootballfan

Register High School Football Coverage

Postby ocfootballfan » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:09 pm

I used to love sitting down with a cup of coffee on Saturday morning and reading the recaps of Friday night games. What happened to the coverage? This morning there was nothing for MD or OLu as well as many other teams.

Professor Fate

Re: Register High School Football Coverage

Postby Professor Fate » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:18 pm

Yeah, I had some beefs about them before the new format. Now, not only is the new format harder to follow, but the coverage is not as good. When they have a story, it may or may not have any stats or box score showing who scored and how they scored.
Things under Obama got a lot worse before they started to get better – and they only started to get better after the GOP took over half of Congress and put the brakes on spending.

Sweetness34

Postby Sweetness34 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:28 pm

Its pretty bad. Its unfortunate, but newspapers are dying breed. The OC Register cut back, no longer support stringers and they cut loose their three other on-staff high school reporters. So thats why you only see Fryer and Albano reporting on games. They will rely on other area reporters for some additional games.

Its a shame, they can't even get stats/box scores in the paper. Its all going on-line and the digital route. Albano and Fryer do a 10 minute recap of the Friday nights games online, which you can find about after 10 pm. Albano has been making consistent on-line posts/stories on OC varsity.com, via the twitter accounts.

I know you guys like to read the paper, as I did too, but you have to find what's left of high school football coverage online these days.

scj60

Postby scj60 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:04 pm

When the Southern California News Group bought the Register they made them a clone of their other So Cal papers. They share staffs now and each paper is now about 90% the same across the board with some local content.

Prep Sports staffs have been consolidated everywhere. I have a feeling that SCNG will eventually merge all their papers (Pasadena Star News, Whittier Daliy News, LB Press Telegram, SG Valley News, SB Sun, Inland Valley Bulletin, OC Register into one paper and probably get out of Prep Sports like the LA Times. I could see them keeping Fryer like the Times keeping Sondheimer.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:03 am

Are these changes new since the SCNG took over or are they a continuation from when Birthday Card Boy owned it? Looking at their other papers, I'd say that Fryer's and Albano's jobs are both secure for the time being, but yeah, they do have a lot of consolidation. I'm always seeing stories about something that happened in Whittier in the Star News and something that happened in Pasadena on the SB Sun's site, and half of the time they're written by the same person.

But in the last few years, just from digging for scores for the football pool, the SGV Tribune seemed to be more reliable than the Register. Their writers seemed to keep working after the games where the Register's people went home and wrote their stories in the morning. Even now, their "live updates" aren't anything more than Twitter embeds - same as we have in the sidebar, maybe even less, considering we also get Sondheimer's tweets. But I think they do a pretty admirable job, considering the condition of the market. You want five sports reporters and box scores, you have to bring back all those tire ads that used to pay for them.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:53 am

ocfootballfan wrote:I used to love sitting down with a cup of coffee on Saturday morning and reading the recaps of Friday night games. What happened to the coverage? This morning there was nothing for MD or OLu as well as many other teams.

Dial the wayback machine back even farther--when the Register and the LA Times actually competed for OC coverage! Both had multiple full time local coverage writers, plus all the stringers. Box scores of all the high school games, and even of the JC games.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:18 am

John Q. Public wrote:You want five sports reporters and box scores, you have to bring back all those tire ads that used to pay for them.

Not to mention the ads for Captain Cream and all those exotic out-call massage services. Ah, the good old days.

scj60

Postby scj60 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:10 pm

Use to look forward to reading the papers on Saturday morning.

The LB area is now down to 2 guys, Guardabascio and Fiddler. SGV (Whitter, SG and Pasadena) papers are down to Robledo, Tolegian and Hernandez with Tolegian soon to be transferred to the crime beat. Most of the stringers are gone. Expect further consolidation after the season.

TheFan

Postby TheFan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:19 pm

You guys forgot to add the OC Varsity coverage of the Trinity League is 50% of their resources. Its a free country and they can do what they want and need to do, but reality is many games get skipped, except all the Trinity teams.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:09 pm

That's not true. This past Saturday there was not a word of the Mater Dei game results.

What makes it even worse is that the Register raises their subscription rates every six months.

TheFan

Postby TheFan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:23 pm

Pick one game against a depleted LM...cant cherry pick
I said Trinity, not just MD....OLu, JS, SM, all got love ...its a free country just an observation.......
Fryer's pickem games were not even covered...

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:31 pm

Interesting point, though, considering that 90-whatever percent of the kids in their readership area go to non-Trinity schools. But I don't know what a realistic alternative would be, unless a couple of the public schools have some real phenoms playing for them, in which case I'd imagine they would get covered.

TheFan

Postby TheFan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:46 pm

Obviously OCR knows where their bread is buttered at this point, just an observation.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:24 pm

John, it's not just the cost of the reporters. If that were the case, they could probably attract high school journalism students to provide coverage of their schools. It's also the cost of printing and paper. Monday through Thursday, the newspaper is the thickness of a throw-away pamphlet.

It's clear they're circling the drain, and they're trying to drag it out as long as possible.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:03 pm

Unfortunately, I don't know that OC is a big enough market to support much of an online-only paper. I'm sure they make more with their in-house ads, but with the type we have, OCV need close to a million hits a day to pay for Fryer and Albano. You generally need a much bigger market to get that kind of traffic. It'll be interesting to see where the news business goes in the next 10-20 years.

I'm tempted to subscribe to our local "pamphlet" just to support it. Plus i'd have a ready supply of paper to start the BBQ with. Win-win.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:12 pm

but reality is many games get skipped, except all the Trinity teams

Another way to look at it is they weight their coverage to the OC top 10 teams which would be of more interest to more people than #58 vs. #60...
Oct. 25: "One of the great memories of all time"
Nov.02: "I don't remember much about that meeting..."

How stupid is our country?
Donald Trump

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:38 pm

John Q. Public wrote:Plus i'd have a ready supply of paper to start the BBQ with. Win-win.

And if you switched to propane, the Register would have no purpose at all.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:28 pm

"Ain't gonna happen," he said, digesting his mesquite smoked chicken.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:00 am

I'm tempted to subscribe to our local "pamphlet" just to support it. Plus i'd have a ready supply of paper to start the BBQ with. Win-win.[/quote]

Thats reserved for the LA Slimes :lol:

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:17 pm

Red, is that you? :lol:
Oct. 25: "One of the great memories of all time"
Nov.02: "I don't remember much about that meeting..."

How stupid is our country?
Donald Trump

Return to “High School”