The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

Keeping The Neighborhood Kid From Leaving....

SK80

Keeping The Neighborhood Kid From Leaving....

Postby SK80 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:44 am

Here is a great story that seems timely in regards to some of the discussion on the "Battle of the Bay" thread. Questioning why Newport Harbor has sunk and CDM is sailing.... Enter the story of John Humphries. If you have not seen this 6'5" Sophomore receiver, defensive star and basketball player then you are really missing out on something.

Last year CDM and Chase Garbers lost their best receiver in Billy Shaw, in came Freshman John Humphries to save the Sea Kings playoff run. A kid whom was groomed to go to Mater Dei, his brother a stand out player there and now starting for Duke. John was the water boy for MD when he was in 7 and 8th grade. MD had him signed, sealed and..... well not delivered. Something happened, read on....

“We were thrilled to death that a local kid came to the realization that Corona del Mar is a great place, too. Since the first day we got here, back in 2011, our No. 1 priority was just to try to keep the neighborhood kid from leaving, or having a reason to leave. That was on us, the football coaching staff, to make it competitive enough and high profile enough. I’m not sure we’ve done that completely, but I think we’re beginning to scratch the surface.”

How talented is John Humphreys at playing football for Corona del Mar High? Coach Dan O’Shea said Humphreys would be starting for any team in the Trinity League right now, and he’s only a sophomore.

http://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilo ... story.html
Attachments
JH-cdm-football-vs-jserra-20170825-005_medium.jpg
JH-cdm-football-vs-jserra-20170825-005_medium.jpg (25.67 KiB) Viewed 1142 times

TheFan

Re: Keeping The Neighborhood Kid From Leaving....

Postby TheFan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:57 am

why would the kid go to MD and then every year have a four star replacement show up...plus get the pleasure of paying for school, paying for football, and parents get to fund raise ...just to sit on the bench and support a kid on a scholie ...hey but you can say you are D1, and on MD....

albundyrules

Postby albundyrules » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:39 am

Just shows you what ROLLO is doing just to win. Sad but true and all you MD faithful know it.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:22 am

How dare a young man turn down our institution! :notworthy:

dont be that guy

Postby dont be that guy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:30 am

Just shows you what ROLLO is doing just to win. Sad but true and all you MD faithful know it.

Not sure how you got that from this article. Everyone in his family (other than his brother) went to CDM. Him going there too had little to do with Rollo and more with the fact that he wanted to play basketball.

It's a great story, don't spin it into something it's not.

Quiet on Baker

Postby Quiet on Baker » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:57 am

Albundytools- that was a stretch for the ages. Way to your hyperbole out there regardless of the topic. Very subtle....

SK80

Postby SK80 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:03 am

No one is spinning anything, yes it's a great story and hopefully seen as such... historically keeping any kid whom could play for a school like MD at home by any public has been a struggle. The storyline is that CDM Athletics is a school (football in this case) that is providing a program that is worthy of staying for. It also touches on the fact that these Newport kids whom play for the junior teams as young kids especially Newport-Mesa Seahawks are sticking together. I think you can see this in the recent success of the CDM program as these kids have long history and cohesion of playing together.

Last, when a respected coach in Orange County says a kid, one of his players would start on any Trinity league team i would bet he is probably accurate in his assessment.

I think instead of looking at this as "spin" one may consider the notion of "dismiss". This idea that is portrayed constantly on here that if you are not on a Trinity team in the OC you just can't be that good if you play anywhere else.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:05 am

No offense to the spin accusers.. I see now that was not directly aimed at me.

Quiet on Baker

Postby Quiet on Baker » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:32 am

Nor indirectly.

templar83

Postby templar83 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:03 am

SK80 wrote: This idea that is portrayed constantly on here that if you are not on a Trinity team in the OC you just can't be that good if you play anywhere else.

I've missed those portrayals, could you give some specific examples of posters commenting on players' athletic ability, or lack thereof, based on the school the individual attends. Shouldn't be hard to root out since it's apparently "...constantly on here...".

Domingo

Postby Domingo » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:34 am

This is exactly the God dam problem at Mater Dei now!! This one infuriates me!! Makes my blood boil! John WAS a Mater Dei kid through and through! This is the kind of kid that we built our program around. This is the kind of kid that loved Mater Dei Football growing up and always wanted to wear our colors. THIS is the kind of kid I want to root for!! We are losing kids like John Humphreys and Trent McDuffie (son of a wonderful Mater Dei alum) because we have decided to bring in outsiders and non-parochial kids in order to keep up with St. John Bosco. We are now no longer the destination of choice for the very best Catholic kids in the area because we're catering to kids and families like the senior transfer from Riverside King (who embarrassed us against Gorman), the senior transfer from Claremont, the sophomore RB now at Dorsey who academically should never have been at Mater Dei. You're telling me a kid like John Humphreys can't play basketball on Mater Dei?!? What a God dam joke!

SK80

Postby SK80 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:55 am

not playing semantic game... if "constantly" is too acute of a word as a description I will take that back... it is often insinuated. I will also admit my wording is more in regards to boards that I read. This is one of three. No offense to those I may have offended.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:15 am

dont be that guy wrote:Him (John Humphries) going there too had little to do with Rollo and more with the fact that he wanted to play basketball.
It was reported on this forum a while back, that Servite's QB TJ McMahon, brother of former MD QB Ryan McMahon, did not attend MD for the same reason.
Things under Obama got a lot worse before they started to get better – and they only started to get better after the GOP took over half of Congress and put the brakes on spending.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:22 am

I think having DJ Rodman on your team at CDM made it worth staying!

templar83

Postby templar83 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:27 am

Domingo wrote:THIS is the kind of kid I want to root for!

Well you're in luck, he's playing in a big rivalry game tonight. Get your poms poms and get there early...

SK80

Postby SK80 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:57 am

it's SOLD OUT !! But you can watch it here tonight on FOX SPORTS http://www.foxsports.com/west/prepzone-stream :rockon:

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:52 pm

Domingo wrote:This is exactly the God dam problem at Mater Dei now!! This one infuriates me!! Makes my blood boil!

That's not good. When blood boils it coagulates, and that can lead to a stroke. It might be best if you simmered down.

John WAS a Mater Dei kid through and through! This is the kind of kid that we built our program around. This is the kind of kid that loved Mater Dei Football growing up and always wanted to wear our colors.

If nothing else, Domingo, you will never let the truth get in the way of a great rant. I've known John and Ben Humphreys and their parents since Ben's first day at Mater Dei six years ago, when John was in 4th grade. He never "loved Mater Dei football growing up and always wanted to wear our colors". As someone posted earlier, the Humphreys are a Corona del Mar family, and that was always John's preferred destination. Even when he played on Mater Dei's 4-Vertical teams as a 7th- and 8th-grader, he told his teammates and coaches he was probably going to Corona del Mar with his friends. He followed his heart, and good for him.

THIS is the kind of kid I want to root for!!

So what's stopping you?

We are losing kids like John Humphreys and Trent McDuffie (son of a wonderful Mater Dei alum) because we have decided to bring in outsiders and non-parochial kids in order to keep up with St. John Bosco.

I explained above about Humphreys. Trent McDuffie's preferred school was always Servite, since many of his childhood friends in Westminster opted to enroll there. He ended up where he wanted to be, and good for him.

Someone mentioned earlier that Humphreys is replacing Billy Shaw as Corona del Mar's leading receiver. Few people remember that Billy transferred to Mater Dei for a year, decided the competition level wasn't his cup of tea, and returned to Corona del Mar where he became a star. He ended up where he wanted to be, and good for him. The same is true of Clyde Moore, good for him.

So John Humphreys is happy. Clyde Moore is happy. Billy Shaw was happy. Corona del Mar is certainly happy because their program is greatly strengthened by the choices those three young men made. Trent McDuffie is happy. Servite is happy because Trent is a star in two sports. And their leaving or never coming to Mater Dei created the chance to play for other kids who would otherwise have never had the opportunity to attend. So they're happy too. Sounds like a win-win-win-win-win-win-win situation to me. Who exactly is the loser here, Domingo, unless it's you and your boiling blood?

TheFan

Postby TheFan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:29 pm

Well said ....Domingo ....your point about kids wanting to go to since elementary school was so true, I remember my sons teammates telling me when playing might mite ball they were going to MD etc...not so much anymore.

Luca

Postby Luca » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:35 pm

MDDad
That's not good. When blood boils it coagulates, and that can lead to a stroke

That's not entirely accurate. Actually, if blood were to boil, the proteins of the coagulation cascade would long since have denatured into their constituent parts. The various factors would likely have broken down into nonfunctioning random strings of amino acids and you would merely have an organic mixture of amino acids and carbohydrates and lipids etc. Far from coagulating, the blood would completely liquefy. Further - since water has a lower boiling point than organic material - once the water has boiled off you would be left with a semisolid mixture of organic matter but this is not really coagulum as that term is normally used.

Of course, this is all academic since long before the blood has boiled the individual cell membranes themselves would have lysed and life would immediately cease. There would be no chance for a stroke to have occurred since the brain tissue would have dissolved long before any disruption in cerebral blood flow could occur, let alone compromise neural function.............................Luca

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:08 pm

Yeah, that doesn't sound like any fun at all to me.
Things under Obama got a lot worse before they started to get better – and they only started to get better after the GOP took over half of Congress and put the brakes on spending.

Return to “High School”