The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

Trinity League performance thus far

Luca

Trinity League performance thus far

Postby Luca » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:09 pm

In trying to handicap the remaining Trinity League teams thus far it's an interesting statistic that:

Santa Margarita has played opponents that are a collective 10 –2 (if you subtract the loss to SM), with an average score of 50–3, SM.

Servite has played opponents that are a collective 7-3, with an average score of 43 – 22.

JSerra's opponents are a collective 4-8 with an average score versus JSerra of 44– 24

Orange Lutheran's opponents are a collective 1-10 with an average score 38 – 12 versus Lutheran.

Things will be a bit clearer next week after Santa Margarita plays Mission Viejo, the most difficult preseason assignment of any of the four teams. Nobody's preseason has been particularly difficult, though.

The league is a collective 23 – 1. There is often a lot of hyperbole about which is the most difficult league in the US but this year I think it may actually be true that the Trinity league is the most competitive and strongest from top to bottom...................................Luca

dont be that guy

Re: Trinity League performance thus far

Postby dont be that guy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:01 pm

None of those four teams played STA or Gorman.

Luca

Postby Luca » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:00 pm

And........?

SoCalFball

Postby SoCalFball » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:08 am

dont be that guy wrote:None of those four teams played STA or Gorman.

And your point is? None of those four teams are on the same level as MD and Bosco. After the top two it’s going to be a dog fight! You could make cases for each team to finish third.

templar83

Postby templar83 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:47 am

SoCalFball wrote:And your point is? None of those four teams are on the same level as MD and Bosco

No point, quite probably just a ploy to continue the point of view by some ( Luca, Domingo and others ) that MD and Bosco have ruined high school football forever and are therefore not worthy of mention. Then again, not including those two schools might just be an oversight.

Luca

Postby Luca » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:28 am

When you have to resort to hyperbole to make a point, it implies that the point is perhaps not that strong.

The introduction to the post stated "In trying to handicap the remaining Trinity League teams thus far.........."

I had assumed that made it clear that point was about remaining four programs. There isn't any competition for the league title anymore other than between MD and Bosco. The only real competition is for third place and I still don't understand the relevance of the reference to Bishop Gorman or St. Thomas Aquinas ..............................Luca

dont be that guy

Postby dont be that guy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:05 am

None of those four teams played STA or Gorman.

For clarity, that was in response to someone posting (which was subsequently taken down) that MV wasn't the best team the 4 have played, STA and Gorman were.

Skmns

Postby Skmns » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:43 am

Servite finally plays a game with far less penalties...only 5 for the whole game...Friars in the previous games they could have had 5 in a quarter...a big improvement but can they do that for the games in the future? OLU has won all their games, but have been inconsistent. Will see what happens in league.

IEking

Postby IEking » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:03 am

Of the 4 teams listed who has the best rushing attack? Usually the team that runs the ball well will win.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:12 am

or who can make THE STOPS on D!

SK80

Postby SK80 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:14 am

Also would add it seems like all the Trinity schools have improved, I think SM, JS and Servite for sure. MD of course.

2002tony

Postby 2002tony » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:31 am

dont be that guy wrote:For clarity, that was in response to someone posting (which was subsequently taken down) that MV wasn't the best team the 4 have played, STA and Gorman were.

For making it clear I am with Luca I still don't see why there is a reference to STA or Gorman when those 4 teams have NOT played STA and Gorman. ???

Nor have all 4 played MV. ???

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:04 pm

templar83 wrote:No point, quite probably just a ploy to continue the point of view by some ( Luca, Domingo and others ) that MD and Bosco have ruined high school football forever and are therefore not worthy of mention. Then again, not including those two schools might just be an oversight.

Temp, you are a pretty fart smella as you prove in your witty comments, but intelligence and knowledge are two different things. On the surface, to the ignorant, your reasoning sounds plausible. But to the informed, it is clear you are orbiting Niburu and have yet to return to earth.

Bosco and MD have changed the paradigm, go to some games...This year The Trinity is the toughest league in the country, the number two team in the Trinity barely lost to the #4 in the country, MD beat Gorman with ease and the SS is loaded with quality teams. MD beat Bergen so bad it was hard to watch the game after the 3rd TD.

MV is a good team, as are SM, JS, Serv. Olu...there is parody with all those teams. There is not with Bosco or MD.

This years Mater Dei team will simply put the smack on every team they play including SJB.

MD, Bosco and Centennial should be given automatic births in an open division along with DLS and go right to Play in qualifier for the SBC. Then normal D1 qaulificaiton on down for section champions.

HonorGloryLove

Postby HonorGloryLove » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:06 pm

As always, Luca puts up an interesting topic.

To expand on his theme to include MD and Bosco, it seems to me as though folks are attributing Mater Dei's victories to “overall superiority” while not mentioning specifics, and there's bound to be a devil in those unstated details.

Of course, I am very happy MD is playing so well, but I am more than a little worried about both CC and Bosco—and, to go farther than that, it looks to me as though the rest of the Trinity teams are very good as well.

Teams look invincible only until someone finds a way to beat them, and it seems to me that the talent and great coaching MD faces this fall are formidable.

I expect no sympathy, but we MD fans have had so many “almost” seasons it started to seem as though we would never win another championship. We have had very good teams in the past few years, and we placed upon them the hope that being not quite as talented as the other top teams could be somehow overcome.

This year we have the talent, the sense of purpose, the seriousness, and as always, the coaching to make it to the top—but good fortune is also a necessary element, and we shall see if God blesses us with that as well as the other necessary components. As Rollo says, “You provide the effort; God will determine the outcome.” With the humility implied in that statement, the Monarchs will be able to perform at their best.

It is encouraging to see that the Monarchs have played with focus, calm, and patience so far this year. That will serve them well in the toughest games.

We have had our moments of greatness in years of lesser talent, and so may Luca's four teams. I wish them well, and may they have the success they so deserve through their great efforts and sacrifices!

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:12 pm

SOS...different year. MD will roll everyone...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

GadesRule

Postby GadesRule » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:07 pm

MD has the best players $$$ can buy... :notworthy:

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:01 am

"200 million guns are loaded" #endowment #Bosco #pot...

SK80

Postby SK80 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:03 am

#BankRollinTheField

watchersince68

Postby watchersince68 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:36 am

The pissy moaning babies are back, I knew they couldn't stand it.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:22 pm

Singular, Watcher - baby, is, he... It's the same old troll, just another name change...

Return to “High School”