The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

Mission Viejo vs. Santa Margarita Catholic Highschool

Playthegame

Mission Viejo vs. Santa Margarita Catholic Highschool

Postby Playthegame » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:24 pm

Rita has lot's of talent, good size and Mr. Mataele, QB norwood racking up yards on the ground and in the air. Good RB in Magyar, good size in the trenches. Maxpreps preview has the score 53 34 SM over MV.

MV out some starters, some will be back...the big difference is the quality of opponents faced.

IMO this should be worth the ticket price, National 37 vs. 53.

Keys to the game MV defense mitigating Rita's offensive weapons.

MV depleted RB situation, Likely to see Chris Mitchel assisting Arnold at RB, Dosey and Lavalle at FB when in power formations.

Can Rita cover MV WR's?

Going to be good, MV by two scores...

insidetrinity

Re: Mission Viejo vs. Santa Margarita Catholic Highschool

Postby insidetrinity » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:29 pm

i think mission viejo probably wins by 14-21. more competitive than last year i would guess but i still think mv is stronger. sm has ran the ball at will against much weaker teams. last year they couldnt run the ball much at all on mission. if they can run they have a chance. also could struggle covering mv receivers

SK80

Postby SK80 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:31 pm

Either way, hats off to MV program, one heck of a public school.

FBOC

Postby FBOC » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:03 pm

Playthegame wrote:Rita has lot's of talent, good size and Mr. Mataele, QB norwood racking up yards on the ground and in the air. Good RB in Magyar, good size in the trenches. Maxpreps preview has the score 53 34 SM over MV.

MV out some starters, some will be back...the big difference is the quality of opponents faced.

IMO this should be worth the ticket price, National 37 vs. 53.

Keys to the game MV defense mitigating Rita's offensive weapons.

MV depleted RB situation, Likely to see Chris Mitchel assisting Arnold at RB, Dosey and Lavalle at FB when in power formations.

Can Rita cover MV WR's?

Going to be good, MV by two scores...

Who will be out and who will be back for MV

Luca

Postby Luca » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:19 pm

This is the first time in 3 or 4 years that I have seen some promise in a Santa Margarita team.

Last year's contest was ridiculous. Santa Margarita was coming off a couple of demoralizing seasons and they had an entirely new coaching staff. I'm not sure any of them even had experience coaching Orange County HSFB. They were in way the hell over their heads for a first game and didn't even know it. But that team improved fairly significantly over the course of the year and they have done well so far this year. I'm pretty impressed by the job that Coach Fisher has done thus far.

These two teams have had a great series between them. I think it's 2-2, maybe 2-3. The two Santa Margarita victories were two of the most interesting games I have watched, in 2006 and 2011 - both won on long game ending drives.

I haven't seen Mission Viejo and so can't make any confident predictions. But this Santa Margarita team seems far better than last year's. There appears to be pretty good chemistry and some confidence. And they do have some outstanding individual players despite having lost 3 impressive D1 scholarship athletes since last year.

There are two good to excellent running backs. The defensive line overall looks pretty aggressive and effective with decent size. The defense is active - they've only given up 10 points in four games. But it's hard to have a good sense for the receivers or O-line or defensive backfield since although they have played well they haven't really been challenged.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Santa Margarita take this game. I wouldn't predict it but I wouldn't be surprised, either. (By the way, what in God's name makes Maxpreps think they're going to score 53 points on a defense that held Poly to 6?? They must have that same computer that predicts end stage global warming in two years.)

Is it going to be on TV? I'm out of town.............................Luca

Playingtime

Postby Playingtime » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:52 pm

Yes Luca, it is the game of the week, but apparently on a tape delay.

SM's opponents are a combined 10-2, not sure that can be quantified to anything meaningful, but nonetheless, interesting at some level. It is always hard to predict the effect of "lower quality" opponents, as "low quality" is a bit subjective in high school sports. The Downey & Mayfair results are the biggest questions, as I don't remember any recent games with them and OC teams, to make any meaningful correlations. The Loyola & Alemany results are a bit more impressive, as those programs always have good coaching, players and resources.

SM, OLU, J Serra, and Servite are teams that are always hard to get a read on. They go into every season with less, in terms of player quality, than MD or SJB. That is what makes every trinity season so interesting. This season is no different. We know SM and Mission are in the "lower tier" of Division I teams. No knock on them, but just fact. That being said, this "lower tier" matchup is very much the game of the week, and I am very much looking forward to it.

The injuries to MV, and the inexperience of Yellen, (a good QB BTW), might be the difference.

SM 24 - MV 21

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:35 pm

FBOC wrote:Who will be out and who will be back for MV

FBOC...not appreciated by coaches to reveal much about the health of the team, I will repeat if coach has said it publicly...as just repeating what he has already divulged but will not if he has not. So just have to wait for game time!

templar83

Postby templar83 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:40 am

Playingtime wrote: and the inexperience of Yellen, (a good QB BTW),

And a nice young man I understand, but he is, what's the phrase, ah yes a "merc". Not that it matters in this case of course...

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:57 am

Nice T83!...the guy is funny...

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:10 pm

This game is the home town, cross town, Pop Warner to HS kind of game that epitomizes HS football, lot's of respect, lot's of talent. If you like HS football and are not tied to a team this is going to be every bit what we have come to know when both Rita and Mission are functioning well. I know I said two scores and still on paper that is my call but I agree too with Luca, would not be surprised if the Eagles win, they are a good team with good coaching, what I like is MV is loose and looking to enjoying the game and playing football, and I have know doubt the Eagles will be way up for a shot at redemption...Fisher has it going on over there and that...is wonderful to see!
Last edited by Playthegame on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IEking

Postby IEking » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:22 pm

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe every single player on both these teams are Orange County kids. If so that is pretty rare that 2 ranked OC teams do not have an IE or LA kid on the squad.

frankieboy1

Postby frankieboy1 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:54 pm

SM is located in MV's attendance area, I believe...(outside the Coto gate-all Coto is Tesoro)...Half of Dove Canyon (north of the clubhouse; south of clubhouse is Tesoro) and all north of Plano Trabuco is MV attendance area also (walk/short drive to SM)

hit the lights

Postby hit the lights » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:14 pm

neutral site, D-1 SOUTH COUNTY, fighting for the 5 south bragging rights.
Excellent coaching,
QB - EVEN, both have similar numbers, passing ratings, X factor is Norwood escapabilty
WR- MV
RB- SM
DEFENSE- EVEN, mv with 9 picks 10 sacks, sm with 12 sacks and 3 picks, SM with 2 SHUTOUTS
Special teams- SM
Coaching- MV
matchup to watch...- Magyar VS MV D / FRONT 7,
Turnovers and field position will be key as it is in all games.

hit the lights

Postby hit the lights » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:14 am

SM most impressive wins were 35-0 shutout vs Loyola and a 61-7 win vs Alemeny, who JSERRA beat 48-27
SM - 4-0 , RANKED # 10 in CA. Have they been tested enough in defending the pass? Other than that, they look real good.

MV- 4-0 #4 in CA
Impressive win vs LB POLY, in a defensive struggle, vs some of Californias top athletes.
Does this compare to the 2011 team that beat Poly 17-12, then lost to SM 21-20?
iNJURIES... everyone has them, nobody wants to hear about it, tell that to seal team 6.
Next man up! Both squads are deep enough to over come and play at a high level.
This game will tell alot about how D-1 playoffs could look. With MD and Bosco being the cream of the crop, 1 or both of these teams could be in the semi's fighting for a final spot.

Luca

Postby Luca » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:29 am

MD and Bosco and Corona Centennial (they just crushed Narbonne)............Luca

hit the lights

Postby hit the lights » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:58 am

How could i forget CC? Thanks for reminding me of those guys. Maybe this weeks game vs MV and SM , (one) of those teams could be in the semi's vs a really good , deep, well coached football team. It will be interesting to see what SM can do against all of MV'S d-1 talent. Maybe they will do what they do, run the ball, play efficent football, and play solid D and special teams, protect the ball. Can the Eagles out muscle the Diablos??

FBOC

Postby FBOC » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:51 pm

Playthegame wrote:FBOC...not appreciated by coaches to reveal much about the health of the team, I will repeat if coach has said it publicly...as just repeating what he has already divulged but will not if he has not. So just have to wait for game time!

Ok I was out of town last week did either of the defensive ends play last week that were out against La Habra??

Skmns

Postby Skmns » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:49 pm

Going with the Trinity League in this one....Mission will give them a battle, but I think SM has too much going for them... 28-21 SM

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:10 pm

Muench is playing has been playing last two games...#85

2002tony

Postby 2002tony » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:18 am

This will be a great game and I hope it will live up to the game we all want to no matter which side we are rooting for.

It is very hard to get a handle on SM , you know they are good and have just as many D-1 players as MV and just a lot of talent all over the field.

Looking at who they have played leaves us only really with knowing a little more about MV then SM IMO
SM games with Downey and Mayfair tell us nothing about them and this would be the same as MV and Baldwin. The Alemany game was just the dumpster fire as that team is probably on their way out of D-1. Alemany is a young team and their inexperience showed up also. It is hard to look at that game and the score and know that Alemany would like the last min of the first q and the first min of the 2nd quarter back as they gave up 17 points and then again with 3 or so min left in the half where the score went from 24-7 to 48-7 giving up 17 points in the last min of the of those 3 min. I am sure Alemany would say they would not give up that many points again in those few min of play again but when the wheels fall off who knows what can happen again.
The game with Loyola was the 2 start of a game their freshman QB had and he played like it. It was his first taste of the speed of a D-1 oppenent other then a few weeks of practice. I am sure it was an eye opening experience.

That is why it is hard to gage just how good SM is. I don't think MV will have the sumpter fire that Alemany gave up to SM and I don't think that even though Yellan is not that experienced either he still is not in his freshman year either. SM won't be able to load the box and dare MV to throw the ball like they did with the cubs who had not thrown the ball but 15 passes so far in their young QB career so far

So with that said I do expect a better game out of MV then those two opponents were for SM. I don't think SM offense has seen a team D with the speed of MV. I think this may be an eye opening experience for some of the SM players who did not play in last years game or have seen the speed in which MV has proven they can play at.

It will be a great game I think and a classic battle that both of these teams have demonstrated they can have against each other. Revenge is a major motivator and I am sure SM will be looking for it but I don't think that will be enough to carry the game for them. MVwill win, but not without their A game needed to be performed

Return to “High School”