The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

Mater Dei vs. St. Mary's

Omar Bongo

Mater Dei vs. St. Mary's

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:51 am

Did some research and looks like this could be a good matchup...St. Mary's is big and fast and has big game experience...last year's Nor Cal Div. 1AA Champs (they lost 38-35 in OT to Cathedral Catholic in the State Bowl game) graduated 31 seniors, including the entire O-line, but return some key playmakers...their RB ran for 2345 yds/42 TDs last year and even without last year's O-line is putting up similar numbers this year...the receiving corps is fast and athletic. When their QB went down earlier this year the No.1 receiver stepped into the role...while he's not an experienced passer he's a real running threat and ran for 180 yds and 2 TDs against Cardinal Newman. The Rams turned the ball over 5 times in losing to an underdog Central Catholic team two weeks ago but got back on track last week by way of a pounding running game...that RB went for nearly 200 with 5 TDs...if postgame interviews are any indication, they are confident and ready...

The key for MD will be 1) their front 7 vs. that dual running attack and 2) their ability to run the ball against the Rams and keep the D honest...a clock-eating ball-control game could keep the score down where St. Mary's would like it...

Haven't heard anything about Remigio's status, he left the Bergen game in the first half with an apparent arm injury and never returned...anyone?

Playthegame

Re: Mater Dei vs. St. Mary's

Postby Playthegame » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:59 am

Dude, what ever research your smokin...when you come out of it...MD will have flipped a 60 burger on O'l St.Mary's plate at the Barbecue up North....
Omar Bongo wrote:Did some research and looks like this could be a good matchup...St. Mary's is big and fast and has big game experience

OutOfState

Postby OutOfState » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:22 am

MD wins but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it is close. By 'close' I mean 14-21 points. This has all the makings of a trap game.
Not sure what the status of Remigio is. We need Dad to chime in here.

Sweetness34

Postby Sweetness34 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:59 am

I don't think this is a trap game. MD is focused. Remigio is ok. Stinger. His shoulder wasn't wrapped up or in a sling. He'll be fine.

More on Omar's analysis .. Aponte, the QB who took over when the starter when down, its not a passer, he's an athlete, and they are one dimensional and it will be hard pressed for St. Mary's to get huge rushing numbers on this defense.

watchersince68

Postby watchersince68 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:12 am

Because I am making the drive to Santa Clara I am hoping the game will be at least a competitive but I can really anticipate another blowout if their starting QB doesn't play. Try to run only on MD this year is tantamount to failure.
Even if you have got both going and your name isn't SJB or CC it is going to be tough. Hoping for the best expecting the worst.

jb814

Postby jb814 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:28 am

Haven't heard anything about Remigio's status, he left the Bergen game in the first half with an apparent arm injury and never returned...anyone?

My daughter saw Remigio in an MD robotics class getting his new bionic arm/shoulder installed earlier this week. She said he broke a desk in English, so, perhaps they need to do some fine tuning/adjustments before he can play. :shock:

watchersince68

Postby watchersince68 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:23 am

Must have been the same doctor that reinstalled JT's arm after the shark attack. Isn't wonderful the things going on in the medical field.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:03 pm

Bad news for the Monarchs...just heard that when reattaching Daniels' and Remigio's arms the Doc accidentally switched them (colorblind?) and Remigio doesn't wanna switch back because now he can throw long bombs to himself...
I thought it would be easier
Donald Trump

How stupid is our country?
Donald Trump

watchersince68

Postby watchersince68 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:14 pm

My worst nightmare just came true, Frankenremjt

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:39 pm

Sweetness - I think St. Mary's best shot will be to try to run the ball just well enough to make MD over-commit and then catch the secondary in unfavorable coverage situations (you know they watched film of the Gorman game when DTR burned them twice). I think they try to keep the score down by eating clock and playing keep away and hope the QB can occasionally get the ball to those speedy receivers...
Donald Trump

Donald Trump

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:58 pm

Seriously you actually get tired of watching MD run, shoot, score over and over and over and over again...whoa!!!...this is straaange...does this sound like you?

St. Mary's is'nt the only team who will be experiencing 62 to not much games...pretty much everybody not named Bosco in the Trinity league, they will only loose by twenty something...

jb814

Postby jb814 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:09 pm

Bad news for the Monarchs...just heard that when reattaching Daniels' and Remigio's arms the Doc accidentally switched them (colorblind?) and Remigio doesn't wanna switch back because now he can throw long bombs to himself...

Omar, does this mean the trolls will re-ignite the JT is out for the season thread? :lol:

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:47 pm

Unexpected bonus - with Remigio's arm he can save on a Halloween costume and go as a fiddler crab
Donald Trump

Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:51 pm

Watched some footage of the St Mary's-Cardinal Newman game...the RB is a bruiser and the QB has an unorthodox motion but he can get it downfield, saw one throw for 30yds on a line right into the WR's hands...
Donald Trump

Donald Trump

watchersince68

Postby watchersince68 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:12 am

One throw for 30 yards, gee that is encouraging, thought it might be a blowout.

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:03 pm

Omar has been smoking crack now going on almost a week, this game will be a boring blow out...Mater Dei will simply steam roll the old gal...

62-14 here we come...What ever Omar says about HSFB...pretty much the opposite is true, but I guess we'll know (like we don't already know) how accurate his research is...more research Omar, more research...
Last edited by Playthegame on Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

watchersince68

Postby watchersince68 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:42 pm

Mater Dei is Mother of God in Latin just saying. You must be on quack taking the Mother of the Lord's name in vain.

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:02 pm

Fixed, please accept my apology!

Mary mother of Jesus is due much respect,...so thanks watcher for helping me out here.

Again please accept my apology!

My reference was to the IE Ducks and the connections Mater Dei High School, not Mary the Mother of God, hence Mater Duck...IEDucks-Mater Dei High School, get it? Mater Duck...
Last edited by Playthegame on Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

watchersince68

Postby watchersince68 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:14 pm

And I thought the "quack" remark was going to be funny. Duck, crack, quack get it?

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:15 pm

It was kinda funny...

Return to “High School”