The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

Black players protest

Donray

Black players protest

Postby Donray » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:29 am

I guess the black players are protesting the racism in sports. They want more white players and think the there are too many blacks taking over sports.

Why don't these guys go to someplace they like and play football?

Lets all boycott football since it is racist.

Wabash

Re: Black players protest

Postby Wabash » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:14 am

That's not the point of their protest.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:12 am

How stupid does one have to be at this point not to know why they are kneeling?

I can see not agreeing with them, but you have to have a complete anal-cranium inversion at this point to not know what they are saying.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:26 am

Interesting.

Here's the rule on that, via Snopes (emphasis mine):

The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the NFL League Rulebook. It states:

‘The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition … It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.’

So the kneelers aren't in violation but the teams that stayed in the locker room are.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:44 am

John Q. Public wrote:........the teams that stayed in the locker room are.

Which was the norm until about 2010.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Bick

Postby Bick » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:57 am

Fordama wrote:How stupid does one have to be at this point not to know why they are kneeling?

I can see not agreeing with them, but you have to have a complete anal-cranium inversion at this point to not know what they are saying.

Please tell me you think this escalation of kneeling, arm banding, locker room waiting is an FU to Trump more than any protest of police brutality.

broman

Postby broman » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:26 am

Surprised it took this long for somebody to play the "you don't like it, leave" card.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:38 am

The specific rule pertaining to the national anthem is found on pages A62-63 of the NFL League Rulebook. It states:

"The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition … It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses."

I wrote policies and procedures for many years, and I learned in my first few months that one never uses words like "should" and "may" when defining what is acceptable or what is to be done. It's hard to believe that the NFL with their billion-dollar legal teams don't know that. A "RulebooK' is no place for suggestions.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:44 am

Could be the NFL attorneys approved those procedures to be written that way to allow for wiggle room.

joefutbol

Postby joefutbol » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:47 am

Ain't no patriotism like forced patriotism.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:09 pm

I thought Bob Costas makes an interesting point. Why is the subjective support of the flag conflated with support of the military?

Bob Costas on NFL protests

"This is no disrespect to the military," said Costas. “Martin Luther King was a patriot. Susan B. Anthony was a patriot. Dissidents are patriots. School teachers and social workers are patriots."

Costas says he believes patriotism has been associated with the military only, but argues that patriotism is about more than just our brave soldiers.

"Patriotism comes in many forms and what has happened is that it's been conflated with a bumper sticker-style kind of flag-waving and with the military only, so that people cannot see that in his own way Colin Kaepernick, however imperfectly, is doing a patriotic thing. And so too are some of these other players.”

I agree with him completely.

I doubt many of those criticizing the NFL players taking a knee ever get off their couch when the anthem is played on TV.

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:06 pm

Donray wrote:I guess the black players are protesting the racism in sports.

I guess you have no idea what they're protesting, Try again.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:33 pm

MDDad wrote:It's hard to believe that the NFL with their billion-dollar legal teams don't know that.

Their billion-dollar legal teams probably realized they'd have religious discrimination suits on their hands if they made it a requirement.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:39 pm

Then why even put it in the "Rulebook"?

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:52 pm

Bick wrote:Please tell me you think this escalation of kneeling, arm banding, locker room waiting is an FU to Trump more than any protest of police brutality.

Absolutely--Trump has escalated the issue immensely! Calling people who are fighting racism "sons of bitches" surely hasn't helped.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:10 pm

Jerry Jones joins his players.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:40 pm

That is a surprise.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:07 pm

Probably very confusing to Donald and the people who think this is some kind of anti-police, anti-America protest.

Bick

Postby Bick » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:10 pm

Fordama wrote:Absolutely--Trump has escalated the issue immensely! Calling people who are fighting racism "sons of bitches" surely hasn't helped.

For what it's worth, I don't think any of those guys are fighting racism. It was a collective screw U to Trump. After walking a beat in Chicago with the guys who put their lives on the line each day, I'd be interested to see what they suggest, specifically, to address their complaint about police brutality. Until they actually DO something of substance, their taking a knee is as meaningful as Michelle Obama holding her #BringBackOurGirls sign with her sad face.

However, if I'm in the NFL (dreamt it once), I'll be damned if I'd let Trump or anyone tell me how I should respect the flag / national anthem. If I haven't figured it out by now, then I never will.

I believe taking a knee during the nat'l anthem for some political purpose is a face slap to those who put their lives on the line to defend our country. I would find some other way to tell Trump to cram it...like find a better candidate?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:26 pm

Is it just coincidence that all this is taking place during Milo Yianawhateverhisnameis's "Free Speech Week"?

Return to “National”