Black players protest

Omar Bongo

Re: Black players protest

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:33 am

Bick wrote:How about the ratings loss? Unrelated or just made up stuff?

Trying to make my point for me? Like I said, the owners are afraid of Trump singling them out and costing them money by calling for boycotts.
Last edited by Omar Bongo on Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:08 am

I Stand So That You Can Kneel:
by Andrew Freborg

I stand to honor the promise the flag represents.
You kneel because that promise has been broken.

I stand to affirm my belief that all are created equal, and to fight alongside you for that promise.
You kneel because too few stand with you.

I stand because we can be better.
You kneel to remind us to be better.

I stand to honor all that have fought and died so that we may be free.
You kneel because not all of us are.

I stand because I can.
You kneel for those who can't.

I stand to defend your right to kneel.
You kneel to defend my right to stand.

I stand because I love this country.
You kneel because you love it too.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Bick

Postby Bick » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:58 am

Omar Bongo wrote:Source of the post Indeed. Like I said, the owners are afraid of Trump singling them out and costing them money by calling for boycotts.

I appreciate you ratcheting down from the pre-edited post.

The boycott from NFL fans over this issue started well before Trump stuck his nose in it. Just don't think Trump would have much of an incremental effect. In fact, I'd argue that if he singled out any particular team for boycott that signed Kap, it might have the opposite effect within his base. Republicans seem to have a real problem being told what to do, what to think, what they need to tolerate, etc.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:07 am

What did I "ratchet down"?

I appreciate you dropping the diversion and basically agreeing with what I said.

As you know it doesn't matter a whit when it started, and it's obvious to the honest observer that they do indeed fear his threats to destroy their business for his own craven political purposes. He's been very clear about it, as I quoted above.
"Victimhood is the high-octane fuel of the Trump Era, it makes the Trumpmobile go"
Steve Schmidt

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:45 am

Bick wrote:Source of the post The boycott from NFL fans over this issue started well before Trump stuck his nose in it. Just don't think Trump would have much of an incremental effect.

It's hard to know when the falloff started without seeing the teams' books or poring over old news stories and tweets but I don't remember that much outrage until Trump started tweeting about it. Seems like it was only a week or two before he was calling for them to be fired. I think this year's attendance was down to start with, wasn't it?
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Bick

Postby Bick » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:53 am

I must've been unclear. I don't agree with you at all on this.

To estimate any incremental impact, you'd evaluate what's already taken place. The fallout over this protest issue preceded Trump's involvement.

There's no evidence I've seen to support your claim owners are overly concerned with what he says.

"they fear his threats to destroy their business for his own craven political purposes." How scary!

Bick

Postby Bick » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:04 am

John Q. Public wrote:Source of the post It's hard to know when the falloff started without seeing the teams' books or poring over old news stories and tweets but I don't remember that much outrage until Trump started tweeting about it.

He started with the pig socks and protests at the beginning of the 2016 season saying "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color". Other players followed suit, and sponsors started dropping on those players.

Trump "firing" tweet was a month into the 2017 season. There was plenty of backlash prior to then. I don't know with any certainty, but don't recall him saying anything about a specific player or team.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:33 am

No time today but I looked up some attendance numbers - which weren't any help, since the NFL bases attendance on ticket sales and not butts in the seats. But 2016 sales were up over 2015's and 2017's were only down half a million over all teams - maybe 3%. --:--

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:38 am

Given the price of tickets and concessions I doubt the owners suffered any loss in revenue.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:47 am

Perhaps the ticket price and the price of concessions had something to do with the drop-off in attendance.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:18 am

Have the prices gone up significantly in the last year or two? I've been priced out, but if $100 for a cheap seat fills the stadium (under normal conditions) that's what the price should be. Adjusting them for the current situation would sell more tickets but they can't lower them too much or they'll have a backlash when they go back up. Pricing can sound simple but it isn't.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:25 am

And tickets are pre-sold months in advance, so it ain't that simple.

Bick

Postby Bick » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:39 am

Attendance is tracked by season tickets / giveaways v. butts in seats. The photo I posted of the SF/LA game had an announced crowd of 70k. That photo was taken in the early 2nd qtr.

I think viewership is a better barometer. Trend was up prior to 2016.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:04 am

Yeah, TV viewership is probably a better gauge. But you also have the brain injury issue, which has affected interest at all levels of football, so it would be down some regardless. The real effect is going to be pretty hard to measure.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:17 am

Omar Bongo wrote:Source of the post Like I said, the owners are afraid of Trump singling them out and costing them money by calling for boycotts.

So? If you're trying to make a case for Trump colluding with the owners, sorry, I seriously doubt that fits the description.
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

Bick

Postby Bick » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:51 am

John Q. Public wrote:Source of the post Yeah, TV viewership is probably a better gauge. But you also have the brain injury issue, which has affected interest at all levels of football, so it would be down some regardless. The real effect is going to be pretty hard to measure.

Seems like injuries aren't having a measurable effect on viewership. Makes sense given our passion for car chases and train wrecks.

Football's dangers and drawbacks have not turned away younger fans poised to become the NFL's core fan base. Among Americans between ages 18 and 29, 61 percent say they are football fans, roughly the same as the public overall. Furthermore, adults under age 30 are the most likely demographic to say their interest in football has increased, at 41 percent.

Poll results indicated professional football fans recognize the danger the sport poses to its players but have chosen to watch anyway.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/p ... 2e1eb04851

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:30 pm

The game is freaking boring.

It takes four hours to see ten minutes of action.

Attending a game is expensive.

I bet those factors are a greater cause of declining interest.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Bick

Postby Bick » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:21 pm

Which of those 3 factors were introduced between 2015 and 2016 to change the upward trend in TV viewership to a declining trend?

Bick

Postby Bick » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:33 pm

Here's the average length of a football game for the past 17 years. 3 hrs 4 minutes to 3 hrs 9 minutes in that span. Actually declined slightly from 2016 to 2015.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:45 pm

Don't know. Don't care. Stopped watching the NFL when that woman (who we don't mention in polite company) moved the Rams to St. Louis.

I only watch the Super Bowl. And that is for the party. Couldn't tell you who won last year.

Return to “National”