Black players protest

Omar Bongo

Re: Black players protest

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:21 pm

Professor Fate wrote:So? If you're trying to make a case for Trump colluding with the owners, sorry, I seriously doubt that fits the description.

Huh? How in the world, if you really read what I wrote, could you get it so exactly wrong? I'm saying the exact opposite

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:39 pm

Bick wrote:"they fear his threats to destroy their business for his own craven political purposes." How scary!

There's no evidence I've seen to support your claim owners are overly concerned with what he says.

You need to look a little harder. Couldn't get through the WSJ paywall, this is from the Miami Herald:

The Miami Dolphins' Stephen Ross was one of several owners who said in depositions that President Donald Trump played a role in conversations about how NFL teams should handle national anthem protests, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Ross: “I was totally supportive of [the players] until Trump made his statement,” He says Trump "changed the dialogue." ...Ross, an advocate for players kneeling in protest during the national anthem in the past, has changed his view of how that time before NFL games should be handled because President Donald Trump has changed the meaning of what it means to protest at that time.

"Trump has made [standing for anthem] about patriotism,”

He also said he believed the protests were hurting the Dolphins financially and that he felt NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell was influenced by Trump's comments.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/m ... 89184.html

Bick

Postby Bick » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:57 am

I read the article as well as a couple supporting links.

Ross was referring to a 2nd hand phone conversation conversation Jerry Jones had with Trump regarding how the owners were going to handle anthem protests. In your last sentence above, Ross acknowledged the protests were hurting the Dolphins financially. Also contained in the article you linked was the fact Ross had believed the protests were being perceived as anti-military, and had asked his players to stay in the tunnel if they wanted to protest.

Below is what Jerry Jones had to say about it.

It seems to me, any influence Trump may have actually had is being perceived as an attempt to help the owners recover from the damage the protests had caused.

You see this as proof positive of their "fear his threats to destroy their business for his own craven political purposes."

The day of the vote, Trump told "Fox & Friends" that he thought the league was "doing the right thing" with the new anthem policy.
Jones did try to deflect some credit going to Trump.
"Let's [not] give him that much credit," Jones testified, according to the Journal. "But I recognize he's the president of the United States."

http://abc13.com/sports/nfl-owners-note ... s/3539569/

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:03 pm

Knock yourself out, Bick. You could hold a meeting together with all the other people who don't think the owners fear Trump attacking their business for political gain if they don't submit to his will in a midsize SUV -

"If you see it – even if it's one player – leave the stadium. I guarantee things will stop. Things will stop. Pick up and leave. Just pick up and leave."

Donald Trump
"Victimhood is the high-octane fuel of the Trump Era, it makes the Trumpmobile go"
Steve Schmidt

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Bick

Postby Bick » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:10 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:Source of the post You could hold a meeting together with all the other people who don't think the owners fear Trump attacking their business for political gain if they don't submit to his will in a midsize SUV -

Geez Omar. Why didn't you just lead with this? We could've saved ourselves the time of looking into it.

dutchmintcruiser

Postby dutchmintcruiser » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:27 pm

Great catch, MD Dad. So I see no rules technically broken here.

MDDad wrote:I wrote policies and procedures for many years, and I learned in my first few months that one never uses words like "should" and "may" when defining what is acceptable or what is to be done. It's hard to believe that the NFL with their billion-dollar legal teams don't know that. A "RulebooK' is no place for suggestions.

I can see that their actions are truly bringing awareness to the issues they are protesting. Too bad it seems to only simply "bring awareness".

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:38 pm

Now, this is how you show proper respect. From Don's pep rally in Duluth.

Don't look at me, I just work here.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:46 pm

More situational patriotism.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Return to “National”