The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

MV Head Coach Retiring at Years End?

Ginger88

MV Head Coach Retiring at Years End?

Postby Ginger88 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:29 am

Rumor is that Bob Johnson has announce he is retiring at the end of the season. Can anyone confirm and who is the front runner?

TommyTrojan

Bob is done

Postby TommyTrojan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:28 am

I know its not private school stuff so most may not care, but Bob has announced that he is done coaching at the end of this year. Word is that neither of his sons is interested in the gig. Will be interesting to see who applies and who eventually gets the job. First year principal who is very tied to the program (she was there for many years as a teacher/admin as well). I imagine Chad Johnson will be near the top of the list as he has made no secret that he wants that job. Whoever it is will have to recruit as well as Bob has, and Chad certainly has experience in that.

MDDad

Re: MV Head Coach Retiring at Years End?

Postby MDDad » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:12 am

Tommy, do you mean St. John Bosco Chad Johnson, or Ochocinco Chad Johnson?

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:42 pm

Is experience painting footballs a prerequisite?
I thought it would be easier
Donald Trump

How stupid is our country?
Donald Trump

Fridayisgameday

Who replaces BOB at Mission?

Postby Fridayisgameday » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:09 pm

With news coming out that Coach Bob Johnson will retire at the end of this season, who are some names we should hear being mentioned as potential candidates to take over the program.

Chad Johnson, is it his time to break away from Bosco and do it on his own, he's from the area (El Toro high). The MV job may be to big to give it to someone with no head coaching experience.
Dusean Ancich, He's been successful and turned 2 programs around, he's done a great job at Villa Park.
Jim Hartigan, Took this season off, his approach might be to much for the Mission parents.
Troy Kopp, Mission alum and QB, has done a great job as OC developing Qb at San Clemente.
Mike Moschetti, La Mirada 0-5 start should tell you how valuable coach Moschetti was , he turned the program around in to state champs and a hot stop for all college coaches. His coaching style reminds me of Bob JOHNSON and his staff now.
Rob Firth, ex El TORO coach who did a great job of turning them back into a good program. I believe he is a assistant now at SAN Clemente.

FBOC

Re: Who replaces BOB at Mission?

Postby FBOC » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:29 pm

Why did Firth leave ElToro?

FBOC

Re: Who replaces BOB at Mission?

Postby FBOC » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:30 pm

I hope Chad Johnson

NJtoNYCtoSOC

Postby NJtoNYCtoSOC » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:33 pm

So son Rob doesn't want to be considered huh?
Last edited by NJtoNYCtoSOC on Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thebull

Postby thebull » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:49 pm

FBOC wrote:Why did Firth leave ElToro?

Became the athletic director

Also, how could the Johnson sons even be eligible to become head coach? I thought you had to be an employee (more specifically, a teacher) to be a head coach in the SVUSD

hit the lights

Postby hit the lights » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:22 am

Bob is the figure head at MV, but Rob is running the team offensivly and QB'S. Makes sense for him to continue, if he wants? If not, the BEST choice, is MV alum, Troy Kopp, currently at San Clemente HS, where he has developed
TOP TIER OC QB'S, from Rettig to Darnold, Travis, and the last QB that was sent to SC. If you know Troy's story, you know hes come along way and has dedicated his life to giving back to the kids and competition! Troy was one of the best players and continues to be a top tier coach, with alot of knowledge.
Troy Kopp my guess??

TommyTrojan

Postby TommyTrojan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:10 am

1) That's not why Firth left El Toro. He did become the AD, but left ET after that.
2) One does not need to be a teacher in the district to be the head coach. It certainly helps, but isn't required.
3) Chad Johnson was at Trabuco not El Toro.

Troy is an excellent coach with ties to the school. I'm not sure that MIssion would go for a guy with no head coaching experience though (perhaps if SC can beat them this year...)

I'm sure there will be a lot of interesting names that apply (perhaps not openly) for the job. It is certainly perceived as one of the best gigs around and has to be considered the best public school job in Orange County. The real question for who ever takes over will be: can they keep bringing kids in from outside the area. The reality is that when you look at the programs on campus who play with Mission Viejo kids, they simply aren't that good. There isn't the talent in the Mission attendance area to have the kind of year in year out success that Mission has enjoyed for the past 17 years.

thebull

Postby thebull » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:42 am

^^ well, ya, you're right

Also, I think he meant that Chad Johnson played at El Toro

2002tony

Postby 2002tony » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:52 pm

This is such a bad post by you IMO
TommyTrojan wrote:
The reality is that when you look at the programs on campus who play with Mission Viejo kids, they simply aren't that good. There isn't the talent in the Mission attendance area to have the kind of year in year out success that Mission has enjoyed for the past 17 years.

Sounds like a coach or even a fan that has had a lot of sour grapes that your take just is so badly tainted. You sound so envious of their success you would make such a bad statement over a complete area.
Your commit begs the question do you even know anymore what that talent pool would look like? I am not sure You have had a talent pool in all those years that could compete with an average or even what would be considered a bad mission viejo pool at any level!
Like I said begs the question do you really know anymore? Have you ever known what that talent pool would look like that was better then theirs ?

Has the hawk program this century had a talent pool that could win consistently at at any level even playing in the Sea View or PCL?
Since you haven't I wonder how does your comment even qualify or have any value being someone with that much envy as knowing what a talent pool of players from the MV area looks like or knowing what a talent pool looks like that could beat them.

I know that the kids coming into MV have won a lot of youth football games. Championships on Championships. I guess you think Johnson has a big pull with kids in the 5th thru 8th grades that don't live in the attendance area of MV to play in those teams too

I think I know what you meant to say but it just did not come out that way with the words you choose and the way you put it. No need to respond, I don't need to hear it.

TommyTrojan

Postby TommyTrojan » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:13 pm

Tony- ouch. I don't think it's even a debate that mission has had the massive success in football over the past 17 years with many of their top kids coming from outside their attendance area. As a school whose enrollment has been on a steady decline during that time (they are down around 2400 these days) their non-recruiting sports, those that play with local kids, simply aren't on the same year in and out level as those that do. Softball? Built on kids from out of the area including garden grove. Baseball? Same. Track? You bet. Football? Yep. Compare that to the sports that aren't recruiting. What I'm saying is not news to anyone in this district. Talent level will fluctuate from year to year at any school unless you are doing something to draw kids to maintain that elite level.

As for our "talent pool" and being competitive this century, I think we have done pretty well playing the larger schools. The past 12 years alone has seen 7 league titles and a cif championship.

Bob was one of the first in the area to connect with the local youth programs and build relationships. His ties to the local Cowboys programs helped him build something and keep it going. Today, that's become more the norm but bob was ahead of the game and has made mission a destination for top level kids from all over. The next guy will have to find a way to do the same to emulate the success that bob has had.

Glad you don't need to hear it.

Luca

Postby Luca » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:19 pm

I dont know that what Tommy said is so controversial.

There are few teams in the nation that can match Mission's success over the last 17 years. Any of the teams which have had that kind of success to my knowledge have not been restricted to limited district boundaries. Even Long Beach Poly, with all the advantages it has in the huge Long Beach district, has not maintained that kind of success.

None of the highly successful private school have such restrictions. We all know that Mission has benefited from kids transferring in or enrolling from outside the specific Mission Viejo High School district. You can argue whether that's right or not but it is true, and if Mission is to maintain that level of success then that tradition will have to be maintained.

I wouldn't take what Tommy said as even an oblique criticism............................Luca

hit the lights

Postby hit the lights » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:58 am

South Orange County is a hot bed of football talent and coaching. Back before there were a million other schools in the boundaries of MV, ALL that talent went to three schools, MV, ET, and Capo Valley, all who would and could beat each other on any given night. Win a league title, but lose to that same team in the CIF FInals. Now, you have Aliso Niguel, Tesoro, San Juan Hills, St Margrets, JSERRA, etc..... This waters down the area, unless you can get a proven coach, who has connections and still get the cream of the crop. Getting talent from outside the area is nothing new, and just adds to the home grown talent that is within a 10-15 mile radius. If you win, if you get kids out to the next level, they just show up. Another great home grown place to play, where guys can get to the next level is Saddelback College.
The Johnsons are old school and kept their brand alive in a crowded south county arena. If they were to leave, it wont just continue, unless they can bring in someone who number 1 knows the game and can win with a good staff and plan.
MV is enjoying a special time right now, like MD with Rollo. OLD SCHOOL! :thumbsup:

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:05 pm

For now there is no opening for a head football coach at MV...now next year there may be, for now the position is filled...and no applications are sought or submitted. When Bob submits a letter then the search will begin, for now no such letter has been submitted...FYI.

IODebbie

Postby IODebbie » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:19 pm

I heard Bob already announced his retirement at the end of this season to the team.

frankieboy1

Postby frankieboy1 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:02 pm

D-1 level public school programs that have a chance of winning operate like a private (Centennial, MV) in terms of player recruitment-or are big schools in an area with lots of talent (Poly, Rancho Cucamonga, the Murrieta schools). With MV enrollment shrinking next coach has to be a recruiter (can I say the word?)-or a big name that will "attract" right out of the box to keep the program at the accustomed level.

At least there looks like it will be a planned transition that gives MV a chance to keep the program where it is, unlike what happened with the forced departure of Jim Benkert at Westlake, where the program collapsed and they are now on their 2nd coach since (firing of Tony Henney, which many criticized and who landed in an even bigger rebuild at St Bonaventure)-new coach seems to be having success with Henney's players BTW.

Given the imperatives-an in-house guy isn't likely to be successful unless it's one of the Johnson brothers. Best move might be Chad Johnson- do ties to area and success at St John Bosco offset his lack of head coaching experience?

NJtoNYCtoSOC

Postby NJtoNYCtoSOC » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:58 pm

Wouldn't you say that Poly also historically operated as a Private? Or is it just that all the best football players in Long Beach seem to coincidentally live within the Poly attendance boundaries?

Return to “High School”