The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

The Supreme Court Dismisses First Travel Ban Challenge.

Professor Fate

The Supreme Court Dismisses First Travel Ban Challenge.

Postby Professor Fate » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:07 pm

The ACLU lawsuit against the now expired first "travel ban" has been dismissed unanimously by the US Supreme Court. One of the liberal judges, Sonia Sotomayor, said she would not have wiped out the appeals court ruling.

The Trump administration has wanted the case dismissed, but the challengers had wanted the Court to rule on the cases, in the hope that if the decision went their way, that they could then use it as a precedent.

The 2nd so-called travel ban has not been addressed yet, because the part relating to a refugee ban has not expired yet. That case could yet be dismissed once the refugee ban expires on Oct. 24, meaning the court remains unlikely to issue a final ruling on whether the ban was lawful.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-top ... li=BBnb7Kz

Things under Obama got a lot worse before they started to get better – and they only started to get better after the GOP took over half of Congress and put the brakes on spending.

Fordama

Re: The Supreme Court Dismisses First Travel Ban Challenge.

Postby Fordama » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:54 am

Yes, the case was dismissed because the ban had expired, so the entire point became moot.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:35 am

I'll admit I've done nothing to stay current on this whole "travel ban" issue, so I'm confused. I thought the original travel ban was a 120-day moratorium on travel from six or seven countries until an "extreme vetting" process could be implemented. It's now been 284 days, so isn't that new process in place? If it is, why do we need another travel ban? If it isn't, why the hell isn't it?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:15 am

Yes, the one the Court dismissed the case on had expired so there was nothing to rule on. The New and Improved Temporary Travel Ban took Iraq off the list and substituted Chad. Of course we've never had any terrorists who came from Chad and Chad has been invaluable to us in fighting Boko Haram in Nigeria, but we put it on there anyway. I think it has something to do with Chadians' IQs.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:17 am

My question remains: Has the new and improved extreme vetting process been implemented or not?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:37 am

In some countries. It's a paperwork thing, basically. Some of the countries still on the list don't have processes to keep birth-to-death records on all of their people.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:45 am

So we set an arbitrary 120-day limit for Stone Age countries to implement processes they couldn't possibly do?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:52 am

Pretty much. That was the argument with Chad.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:53 am

Well, damn, that sounds pretty stupid to me.

So if Chadians try to come to America and instead get stranded at the airport, do we call them Hanging Chads?

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:32 pm

MDDad wrote:It's now been 284 days, so isn't that new process in place? If it is, why do we need another travel ban? If it isn't, why the hell isn't it?

I think what you may be missing is that the 120 day thing was a catch all until we could determine what needed to be fixed, and what didn't; what countries were willing to make changes to fix things, and what countries couldn't or wouldn't. Once all that could be determined, a more precisely targeted plan of action could be implemented. And that is the so-called travel ban 3.0.
Things under Obama got a lot worse before they started to get better – and they only started to get better after the GOP took over half of Congress and put the brakes on spending.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:52 pm

Sounds like travel bans are like iPhones or Samsung Galaxy's. Will we get a new and improved version every six to 12 months?

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:12 pm

Sounds like travel bans are like iPhones or Samsung Galaxy's

Probably because they both experienced meltdowns and were recalled...

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:18 am

Maybe when Trump was in prep school he had a bad experience with a boy named Chad?
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:43 pm

The Supreme Court has now wiped out the challenge to the 2nd Trump "travel ban." In its brief, unsigned disposition, the court said the March order had expired, making the case moot. “We express no view on the merits,” the court said.

However, the Supreme Court did a little more than simply remove the case from its docket. It also vacated the decision under appeal, from the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, in San Francisco, meaning it cannot be used as a precedent.

Justice Sonia Sotomayor dissented, saying that she would have simply dismissed the case and allowed the appeals court decision to remain on the books.

...Erasing that precedent may have implications for the new challenge to the September order. Last week, in blocking the new order, Judge Derrick K. Watson, of the Federal District Court in Honolulu, relied heavily on the Ninth Circuit’s decision.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/supre ... li=BBnb7Kz

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:47 am

There are two challenges to the newest so-called travel ban, one in Maryland and one in Hawaii.

An appeal in the Maryland case is being heard on Dec. 8 by the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond, Virginia.

In the Hawaii case, however, a U.S. appeals court in California on Monday let part of President Donald Trump's latest travel ban go into effect, ruling that the government can bar entry of people from six Muslim-majority countries if they have no connections to the United States.

The San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals partially granted a Trump administration request to block a lower court decision that had put the new ban on hold.

The interim decision means the ban will apply to people from Iran, Libya, Syria, Yemen, Somalia and Chad who do not have connections to the United States. Those connections are defined as family relationships and "formal, documented" relationships with U.S.-based entities such as resettlement agencies and universities.

The ruling does not affect people from the two other countries listed in Trump's ban, North Korea and Venezuela.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-co ... li=BBnb7Kz

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:06 pm

Damn Liberal 9th Circuit Court legislating from the bench again.

You left out "laughably" from "two other countries listed in Trump's ban".

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:32 pm

Yeah, for the "Damn Liberal 9th Circuit Court" to grant the administration's request, means they don't share the Hawaii judge's belief that Hawaii "was likely to succeed" with their claim that federal immigration law did not give Trump the authority to impose them on six of those countries.

Also, what do you make out of them allowing it against the six predominantly Muslim countries, but not allowing it against Venezuela and North Korea? Or is it that the Hawaii case did not attempt to challenge the "ban" against those two countries?

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:05 pm

So how's that "extreme vetting" coming along?

Should be interesting in that Trump couldn't even vet the members of his own campaign well enough to keep criminals out.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:35 pm

I don't know. I don't know anything about the ruling other than it said "the government can bar entry of people from six Muslim-majority countries if they have no connections to the United States."

I'm guessing the court wasn't asked to rule on the part about North Korea and Venezuela, so I doubt anything changed there.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:29 pm

Yeah, I think you're right about that.

Another question is, does that mean the "ban" can go ahead in the meantime, if there is still another challenge in Maryland? If not, you'd think the "resistance" would file against it in as many states as possible.

Return to “Immigration”