The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

Bye Bye Bol Bol

Professor Fate

Bye Bye Bol Bol

Postby Professor Fate » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:08 pm

Basketball standout Bol Bol leaving Mater Dei to enroll in Nevada's Findlay Prep per OCVarsity. Also, shooting guard PJ Fuller is returning to Seattle.

Things under Obama got a lot worse before they started to get better – and they only started to get better after the GOP took over half of Congress and put the brakes on spending.

cruiser

Re: Bye Bye Bol

Postby cruiser » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:10 pm

Big loss for MD, MD drops from a top national team to a good regional team and with the
schedule they have this season with top national teams look for MD's overall record to
be one of their worst in many years. Open division title now up for grabs to several teams.
The also lost the 3/4 star transfer from Washington who transferred back recently.

Win some, lose some!

Luca

Postby Luca » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:34 pm

........... And that's why I love high school basketball.

Hopefully some new far off student-athletes similarly deeply imbued with parochial athletic tradition will transfer it in so that we won't have to sully ourselves mingling with the mere regional programs............Luca

Red

Postby Red » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:37 am

Hey Luca, J Serra gets more than their fair share of out of state, out of county and out of country transfers.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

Vernster52

Postby Vernster52 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:09 pm

Look forward to watching Bol play in Henderson.

watchersince68

Postby watchersince68 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:25 am

He was just too tall anyway, kept getting that hair tangled in the net.

So why aren't you guys overly excited to see someone transfer out of MD, thought you would all
be yukkin it up.

Ramon

Postby Ramon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:29 pm

He's transferring to a Prep Sports Academy...Probably in his best interest...Best to him...We may not have a National Championship Caliber Squad now...But we for sure will be very good...There is a lot of parity now in the Open Division...Ce La Vie
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:31 pm

I'm just sorry that I forgot his name is Bol Bol. I should have made the title of this thread Bye Bye Bol Bol. :mrgreen:
Things under Obama got a lot worse before they started to get better – and they only started to get better after the GOP took over half of Congress and put the brakes on spending.

Daforno

Postby Daforno » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:02 pm

Usually someone transfers to GET NOTICED, this kid was already on everyones radar, playing at MD will give him all the exposure he needs
Something about this smells!!!

joefutbol

Postby joefutbol » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:13 pm

His grades?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Bye Bye Bol Bol

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:24 pm

Professor Fate wrote:Source of the post I'm just sorry that I forgot his name is Bol Bol. I should have made the title of this thread Bye Bye Bol Bol.

Your wish is my command. Sort of.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

jb814

Postby jb814 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:15 pm

joefutbol wrote:His grades?

High School is not one and done. I suspect he is more interested in hoops than classes.

Vernster52

Postby Vernster52 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:08 pm

You do not get into Findlay Prep with substandard grades.

Guaranteed.

Luca

Postby Luca » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:18 pm

This is what Wikipedia has to say about Findlay prep.

Findlay Prep......... is the high school basketball team of the Henderson International School, a primary school and former secondary school in Henderson, Nevada.[1][2] The Pilots have won the National High School Championships in 2012 and 2013. ……they travel across the United States to play games against similar programs…….. Although the high school of Henderson International closed in 2010, the school continues to support a high school basketball program.[4]

The Pilots have won three National High School Invitational tournaments …….The program is run similarly to an NBA team, with the team - scouted beforehand - barnstorming the country to play in invitational tournaments. Due to its perceived overemphasis on basketball, critics have slammed it as a basketball factory that gives students hope of a pro career instead of education, school officials refute these allegations arguing their students' "100% qualification rate" with the NCAA, Findlay Prep was branded as "non-scholastic" by the same organisation in 2013 but later affiliated themselves with the NIAA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Findlay_Prep

I don’t know if this link will remain standing under the amorphous board regulations on links but, in case it does, please note the emphases in bold letters.

I don’t know why you would guarantee that you can’t get in there with substandard grades, Vernster. It doesn’t appear to have the characteristics of an academic power house. The high school has folded but the team persists? Called "non-scholastic" by the NCAA? That’s like being called "anti-semitic" by Heinrich Himmler.

Kids who transfer for athletic reasons are generally not going to have the same loyalty and motivation as your average high school student. Chances are they do not value the long-term relationships like students who attend the high school of their choice as freshmen and remain. And when those kids ride off into the sunset after 1 or 2 semesters you shouldn’t be surprised…………………………….Luca

Vernster52

Postby Vernster52 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:39 pm

My mistake Luca.
I have to admit I haven't kept up with the program since I used to go watch players like Avery Bradley, Tristan Thompson, Anthony Bennett and many others years ago.
I know in those days the players had to keep their grades up.
Now it sounds like the IMG football program.

Perhaps it was grades.

But if his grades were bad, he couldn't play at MD, right?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:49 pm

Luca wrote:Source of the post I don’t know if this link will remain standing under the amorphous board regulations on links....

What part of "when quoting or otherwise using someone else's material or research, ALWAYS provide a link to give them credit" are you having trouble with?

You quoted the article, you explained it and you gave your opinion. The rule is for the posts that do none of those and leave the people who don't click the link out of the conversation.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:05 pm

It's interesting in looking at Findley Prep's roster,they have another highly rated 7'3" player - is
Findley going to play both of them at once ?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:11 pm

I'm surprised Manute would send his kid to a "school" where actual, like, "education" is secondary. He doesn't strike me as that kind of guy.

leftyRosenthal

Postby leftyRosenthal » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:17 pm

You can play under CIF rules as long you do not have lower than a 2.0 two consecutive semesters. So if you had a 1.5 GPA semester one, then a 2.1 GPA semester two, you are playing regardless of the overall GPA. Not sure if Findlay prep plays by those same rules in Nevada. Either way there was more to Bol than just grades, his circle was bigger than the rose bowl and followed only his own rules. He is Findlay's headache now.

Bigbear

Postby Bigbear » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:19 pm

John Q. Public wrote:I'm surprised Manute would send his kid to a "school" where actual, like, "education" is secondary. He doesn't strike me as that kind of guy.

Not sure if you're aware, but Manute passed away 7 years ago (June 19, 2010).

UPDATE: fixed date.
Last edited by Bigbear on Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “High School”