Football Free Tuition!! The HS transfer myth debunked

jb914

Football Free Tuition!! The HS transfer myth debunked

Postby jb914 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:01 pm

Here's the dealio.

If you are a good high school FB player and want to play D1 you will go to the best program you can find that is the best fit for your position. That mean's if you are a linebacker and MD just graduated all the linebackers you will look at them as an option. If Bosco needs receivers, you will look there. Does MV need a QB? You look there.

Where is that DJ kid playing QB from Bosco from? Upland? Yea, that's an easy commute every day from Upland to Bellflower. :roll:

McDonald transferred from MD to MV last season. Yellen transferred from Bosco to MV this season.

You will look for the program and best fit because you want to play D1 ball and you want to be exposed to the coaches who are looking at the games with the best competition. You want to get on film that is seen by power 5 conference D1 coaches to get the best scholarship offers available to you.

At the MD vs Bishop Gorman game, both UCLA and USC head coaches were in attendance. Plus, I'm sure the film from that game was seen by LOTS of P5 D1 coaches looking for talent.

I have seen this in football, Basketball, water polo, swimming, soccer and it happens in all other high school sports too.

Kid's are transferring from private to public or public to private. Bosco to Los Al, MD to Servite, SMCHS to MD, SMCHS to JSerra, MD to JSerra, MD to Olu, Servite to Olu, Bosco to MV, Oaks Christian to Poly and the list goes on and on and on

You want the small Catholic grade schools to supply the football talent to private schools? Guess what, many of them barely have enough kids to play football and when they do they play flag football. Why? cuz every single sport has a club league and kids in 5-8th grade are prepping for High School sports thru the club sports. Football, Basketball, Volleyball, Swimming, Water Polo, Soccer, Baseball, etc The clubs feed the schools in every sport. You may not like it, but, it's not a conspiracy.

The Catholic grade schools that "feed" MD and other's do not have enough kids to fill a freshman class at MD let alone a football team.

Are you pissed these kids get to go to a private school and get financial aid? Guess, what, a lot of kids get financial aid at private schools. It takes a lot of income to be able to afford $15,000 a year in tuition plus the other expenses. So, a lot of families will qualify for need-based financial aid not because they are a football player.

Privates can offer aid due to fundraisers and donations from generous alumni. The older the school = more alumni and more $. You don't like it, too bad. Privates don't get to have public bond sales put on the ballot to fund capital improvements like the school districts. Privates have to raise money for endowments to fund need-based financial aid, just like every major private university in the US does for their need-based financial aid.

I went to a Catholic high school and get a call every year from a student for their fundraiser and send them a Benjamin or two. 117-year-old school with decades of alumni those benjamin's add up quickly. That's why they can afford $60 million for a property purchase and MD can afford to buy houses to build a parking garage and a future fine arts center.

High School football is like college football was 30 years ago. College is like the NFL was 30 years ago.

You may not like it, but, it's not a private school conspiracy. It's a culture that is happening all over the US not just SoCal and not just football.

Ramon

Re: Football Free Tuition!! The HS transfer myth debunked

Postby Ramon » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:14 pm

Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
2017 Trinity League, CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions

frankieboy1

Postby frankieboy1 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:28 pm

jb814 wrote:Here's the dealio.

If you are a good high school FB player and want to play D1 you will go to the best program you can find that is the best fit for your position. That mean's if you are a linebacker and MD just graduated all the linebackers you will look at them as an option. If Bosco needs receivers, you will look there. Does MV need a QB? You look there.

Where is that DJ kid playing QB from Bosco from? Upland? Yea, that's an easy commute every day from Upland to Bellflower. :roll:

McDonald transferred from MD to MV last season. Yellen transferred from Bosco to MV this season.

You will look for the program and best fit because you want to play D1 ball and you want to be exposed to the coaches who are looking at the games with the best competition. You want to get on film that is seen by power 5 conference D1 coaches to get the best scholarship offers available to you.

At the MD vs Bishop Gorman game, both UCLA and USC head coaches were in attendance. Plus, I'm sure the film from that game was seen by LOTS of P5 D1 coaches looking for talent.

I have seen this in football, Basketball, water polo, swimming, soccer and it happens in all other high school sports too.

Kid's are transferring from private to public or public to private. Bosco to Los Al, MD to Servite, SMCHS to MD, SMCHS to JSerra, MD to JSerra, MD to Olu, Servite to Olu, Bosco to MV, Oaks Christian to Poly and the list goes on and on and on

You want the small Catholic grade schools to supply the football talent to private schools? Guess what, many of them barely have enough kids to play football and when they do they play flag football. Why? cuz every single sport has a club league and kids in 5-8th grade are prepping for High School sports thru the club sports. Football, Basketball, Volleyball, Swimming, Water Polo, Soccer, Baseball, etc The clubs feed the schools in every sport. You may not like it, but, it's not a conspiracy.

The Catholic grade schools that "feed" MD and other's do not have enough kids to fill a freshman class at MD let alone a football team.

Are you pissed these kids get to go to a private school and get financial aid? Guess, what, a lot of kids get financial aid at private schools. It takes a lot of income to be able to afford $15,000 a year in tuition plus the other expenses. So, a lot of families will qualify for need-based financial aid not because they are a football player.

Privates can offer aid due to fundraisers and donations from generous alumni. The older the school = more alumni and more $. You don't like it, too bad. Privates don't get to have public bond sales put on the ballot to fund capital improvements like the school districts. Privates have to raise money for endowments to fund need-based financial aid, just like every major private university in the US does for their need-based financial aid.

I went to a Catholic high school and get a call every year from a student for their fundraiser and send them a Benjamin or two. 117-year-old school with decades of alumni those benjamin's add up quickly. That's why they can afford $60 million for a property purchase and MD can afford to buy houses to build a parking garage and a future fine arts center.

High School football is like college football was 30 years ago. College is like the NFL was 30 years ago.

You may not like it, but, it's not a private school conspiracy. It's a culture that is happening all over the US not just SoCal and not just football.

Football success enabled St John Bosco to basically rebuild the entire campus...

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:41 pm

4 transfer starting QBs took their teams to the D1 quarterfinals this year...2 public, 2 private
"How America elected a narcissist, racist, white supremacist to be their president defies logic"
Boniface Mwangi

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

joefutbol

Postby joefutbol » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:24 am

jb814 wrote:Source of the post If you are a good high school FB player and want to play D1 you will go to the best program you can find that is the best fit for your position

I stopped reading after the first sentence. If you are a good high school football player and want to play D1, the D1 schools will find you. If you want to win a high school championship, you will go to the best high school programs. Or do you think MD's MLB would have had to go to Mt. Sac to prove himself if he stayed at Claremont?

jb914

Postby jb914 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:19 am

Joefutbol wrote: I stopped reading after the first sentence.

It's good to know you started reading with an open mind. :roll:

If you are a good high school football player and want to play D1, the D1 schools will find you.

What if you want to go to Notre Dame? or Alabama? or Ohio State?

Do you think those coaches are watching films from all the High School games? or taking calls from all the coaches? They don't have the time. And if they see a kid like the MD linebacker dominating 220lb offensive lineman it's not that impressive.

Do you honestly believe the kid from Claremont only went to MD to win a championship? I bet he looked at Bosco too. But, Bosco had linebackers transfer to Los Al this season, so, they didn't have a need for LB's. MD needed LB's. Plus, the MD coaching will prepare him for the next level competition and the MD schedule will have him playing at the P5 D1 level of competition. Maybe he want's to play as a freshman? Maybe he has NFL dreams beyond a degree? --:--

Also, Mater Dei is a college prep school. Let's take the MD linebacker you are referring too. He visited Notre Dame. Notre Dame is not an easy school to get into. Contrary to the delusional world that exists on this forum, just because you are a football player doesn't mean you are automatically going to get into a school on football alone, especially Notre Dame.

But, if you have a good GPA, are going to Mater Dei and taking AP classes that could be the push that gets you into Notre Dame.

I'm sure you could get a D1 offer from Arizona State, Florida State, U of Miami, etc. Those are all fine football programs, but, they don't have a degree from Notre Dame.

But, you can go right on believing the kid only transferred to MD because he was recruited to win a championship and wanted the free tuition.

joefutbol

Postby joefutbol » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:08 pm

Every kid in the world has a highlight tape available at the click of a button now. Sure, once in a while you hear about a player slipping through the cracks, but if you are good enough to play D1 football they will find you.

jb814 wrote:Source of the post Do you honestly believe the kid from Claremont only went to MD to win a championship?

I have no idea. Why don't you ask him and let us know? But if I could go to San Diego State for three years then transfer to Harvard for my senior year I suppose I would take the Harvard diploma.

jb814 wrote:Source of the post Also, Mater Dei is a college prep school. Let's take the MD linebacker you are referring too. He visited Notre Dame. Notre Dame is not an easy school to get into. Contrary to the delusional world that exists on this forum, just because you are a football player doesn't mean you are automatically going to get into a school on football alone, especially Notre Dame.

He was already offered by Notre Dame in June..... at the end of his sophomore year. The NCAA has eligibility standards for incoming athletes, and the Irish follow them same as everyone else.

jb814 wrote:Source of the post But, if you have a good GPA, are going to Mater Dei and taking AP classes that could be the push that gets you into Notre Dame.

Sure, if you're president of the chess club. Four-star athletes, on the other hand......

jb914

Postby jb914 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:23 pm

quote joefutbol Every kid in the world has a highlight tape available at the click of a button now. Sure, once in a while you hear about a player slipping through the cracks, but if you are good enough to play D1 football they will find you.

Yea, and i'm sure the coaches watch all those tapes, right? They don't have the time.

P5 coaches know Mater Dei, St. John Bosco and Corona Centennial. Just like the know DLS up north and schools like St. Thomas Aquinas in Florida or Katy HS and Allen HS in Texas. Those are the kids the P5 coaches are looking for first. So, those are the kid's recruits have to compete with for the scholarships.

I'm not talking about slipping thru the cracks. I'm talking about getting an offer from the school you want, not just a bunch of D1 schools.

You need to take into consideration there are a lot of kids competing and offers are revoked all the time once a position is filled, especially at the higher levels.

jb814 wrote:
Source of the post Do you honestly believe the kid from Claremont only went to MD to win a championship?

I have no idea. Why don't you ask him and let us know? But if I could go to San Diego State for three years then transfer to Harvard for my senior year I suppose I would take the Harvard diploma.

Yea, cuz the academic programs at SDSU are so comparable to Harvard? I'm not sure what reality you live in, but, here in the real world i'm gonna say your odds of that strategy working out are fairly "low"

He was already offered by Notre Dame in June..... at the end of his sophomore year. The NCAA has eligibility standards for incoming athletes, and the Irish follow them same as everyone else.

You do know that Notre Dame administration has autonomy on admissions decisions, right? The school administers all student discipline, not the football program and Notre Dame will not accept junior-college transfers.

That means in spite of the NCAA guidelines the athletes still have to compete for admissions with every other student applying to Notre Dame. I don't know for certain, but, based on that "autonomy" athletes don't get special treatment like early read or early acceptance on admissions. So, that NCAA GPA/SAT/ACT scale you are referring to does not apply at a school like Notre Dame. It doesn't matter if he is a stud football player. You may not believe this, but, this is the real world and it's true in other sports too at other schools.

Typically, the higher the academic standards the scale for Athletes goes up. Don't believe me? If that were not true schools like Vanderbilt would win the SEC every year because every kid in that part of the US knows that's a top tier school and would salivate to get a Vandy degree. Rice would be a dominating school in their conference.

Ask Charlie Strong what happened to the Florida 5 he recruited at Texas a few years ago. They couldn't get past the academic standards. Maybe his teams would have done better had those 5 been able to get in, but, they didn't meet the cut.

So there is a big difference from having an offer to being accepted, especially at Notre Dame.

Joefutbol wrote Sure, if you're president of the chess club. Four-star athletes, on the other hand......

Graduating from Mater Dei, with a high GPA, good SAT/ACT test scores, taking honors/AP classes will get you into Notre Dame. Being a stud football player and playing at the highest level of competition checks all the boxes at Notre Dame to offer you a scholarship.

But, no matter what you believe you don't get into Notre Dame because you are a football player, you have to get in on your own academic merit and meet the admissions requirements.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:53 pm

If there's a dad out there who got his son accepted by a school like Stanford, Duke or Notre Dame by telling them his son met the NCAA academic standards, I'd sure like to meet him.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:51 pm

Football is mostly what we discuss here on the HS Forum but you have to look at all sports and there are some where the transfer deal is off the chart its Water Polo, Volleyball and tennis. Just as I'm reading this thread I see on the twitter feed here Jack Seybold as OC Polo Athlete of the Week..... Awesome to see Jack (CDM) beat Harbor playing for Santa Ana!
Seybold.png
Seybold.png (157.57 KiB) Viewed 741 times

http://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilo ... story.html`

Just finished a couple of weeks ago Mater Dei Beats CDM in Girls CIF Div 1 Semis as Siena Seacrist has 11 kills against her former teammates.... http://www.ocregister.com/2017/11/07/ma ... n-1-final/

And Mater Dei goes on to win CIF Div 1 against Marymount.... YEAH! Guess our (CDM) boys a girls are best yet your teams are better...

jb914

Postby jb914 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:09 pm

Awesome to see Jack (CDM) beat Harbor playing for Santa Ana!

BTW, Seybold swims for MD too, so, you can bitch about that in the spring. :lol:

Ramon

Postby Ramon » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:41 pm

Nice to see Public School supporters claim students like Crips or Bloods...No room for them carpetbagging Private schools to muscle in on your turf huh?
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
2017 Trinity League, CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions

FBOC

Postby FBOC » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:04 pm

The have every right to go where they want but don't insult everyone's intelligence by saying they are paying non catholic tuition. It only takes some simple math to figure out that a lot of these athletes could not pay that much money to attend HS. I also know basketbalk player back to when McKnight first got to MD and they didn't pay anywhere near full tuition or at all. These where the South Orange County players from 84 to 88. If you recall they were from Monarch Beach, Nellie Gail Lake Forest and Mission Viejo. If these wealthy families were not paying full tuition or any tuition please don't tell me these football players are. That is fine too but I'm sick of hearing that Privates are at a disadvantage bc they have players from 3 or 4 counties and they have to pay 14,400 in tuition that's just BS

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:12 pm

I think the old/new secret weapon of van pooling is the key, throw in a good breakfast on the way and you could dominate...I am thinking of starting a van pool service and Ramon I will come to you to insure the fleet and we can get the apparel MFG's to pay for signage on the vans...might do packages and groceries while we are in the neighborhood, might try steaks too...

Johnny Utah

Postby Johnny Utah » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:35 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:4 transfer starting QBs took their teams to the D1 quarterfinals this year...2 public, 2 private

Besides Hilinski, who's the other private? It's not J.T. and not D.J. as both went to their schools as freshmen.

Johnny Utah

Postby Johnny Utah » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:46 pm

Playthegame wrote:I think the old/new secret weapon of van pooling is the key, throw in a good breakfast on the way and you could dominate...I am thinking of starting a van pool service and Ramon I will come to you to insure the fleet and we can get the apparel MFG's to pay for signage on the vans...might do packages and groceries while we are in the neighborhood, might try steaks too...

Hey, I have a great idea. You guys can get old man St Brown ( I still haven't figured out who St Brown is) to spring for some ad signage with a MD guy wearing a ski mask and drinking a protein shake. Yeah, that's it!

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:05 pm

Johnny Utah wrote:Besides Hilinski, who's the other private? It's not J.T. and not D.J. as both went to their schools as freshmen.

You're right, I was counting Norwood who only made it to the first round

jb914

Postby jb914 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:42 pm

FBOC wrote: They have every right to go where they want but don't insult everyone's intelligence by saying they are paying non-catholic tuition. It only takes some simple math to figure out that a lot of these athletes could not pay that much money to attend HS.

And the simple math you are referring too is what is used to determine Financial Aid.

Approximately 60% of the students at Mater Dei qualify for need-based financial aid. There is a link right there on the MD website for new or existing parents to apply, so, it's an open secret!

I'm not sure who you are referring to that is claiming these kids pay full tuition? Should they FBOC? If the family qualifies for need-based aid you think they should turn it down and pay the full rate? --:--

You can believe whatever you want to believe. But, I don't have a dog in this football fight. My kids play other sports. I'm intimately familiar with the recruiting process for college athletics. I have personal experience and friends with kids that have gone thru the process and friends that have played D1, D2 and D3 sports. I've heard examples of D1 coaches at prestigious schools tell kids they can't offer because the test scores are too low or the GPA is too low. And we are not talking 2.0 GPA's. I'm talking kids with 3.5 or 3.6 GPA. That NCAA GPA/SAT/ACT table is a joke to the elite schools in any sport.

Kid's go to the high school with the best exposure and playing time for their sport depending on their personal goals. If you have goals of Ivy league or an elite school like Notre Dame, Stanford, etc you have a better chance if you attend a college prep school like MD or Bosco and take the course load to compliment your athletic skills.

FBOC

Postby FBOC » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:58 pm

Oh now the football players are going there to go to Ivy league schools? Interesting. The posters were the ones saying it's a disadvantage because it costs 14,000 to go there. I'll give you a tip if you wanna go to Ivy league how about the Irvine school district I'm sure they send more than MD and it's free. Even South OC schools are just fine academically what about Troy Hs?

joefutbol

Postby joefutbol » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:42 pm

jb814 wrote:Source of the post Yea, and i'm sure the coaches watch all those tapes, right? They don't have the time.

No, they don't. They have scouts do that for them. Do the scouts have the time?

jb814 wrote:Source of the post P5 coaches know Mater Dei, St. John Bosco and Corona Centennial. Just like the know DLS up north and schools like St. Thomas Aquinas in Florida or Katy HS and Allen HS in Texas. Those are the kids the P5 coaches are looking for first. So, those are the kid's recruits have to compete with for the scholarships.

How about schools like Summit? Do they know schools like that? :roll:
jb814 wrote:[post]562051

[/post] You need to take into consideration there are a lot of kids competing and offers are revoked all the time once a position is filled, especially at the higher levels.

What does that have to do with anything we're talking about?

jb814 wrote:Source of the post ou do know that Notre Dame administration has autonomy on admissions decisions, right? The school administers all student discipline, not the football program and Notre Dame will not accept junior-college transfers.

Uhhh, they most certainly do accept JC transfers of all kinds and they absolutely offer JC football players. Only the Mendoza School of Business did not accept transfers as of a few years ago, and that was only because they were always full. I'm sure they'd make an exception for football players. If there's room, a school will always accept transfers.

jb814 wrote:Source of the post Yea, cuz the academic programs at SDSU are so comparable to Harvard? I'm not sure what reality you live in, but, here in the real world i'm gonna say your odds of that strategy working out are fairly "low"

Are you saying the academic programs at Claremont are comparable to Mater Dei? I guess the odds of that strategy working out are fairly low.... unless you're a four-star linebacker, right?

jb814 wrote:Source of the post I don't know for certain

No, you certainly don't.

jb814 wrote:Source of the post If that were not true schools like Vanderbilt would win the SEC every year because every kid in that part of the US knows that's a top tier school and would salivate to get a Vandy degree.

Uh.... you think Derrick Henry and Amari Cooper were really interested in Alabama's academic prowess?

jb814 wrote:Source of the post you have to get in on your own academic merit and meet the admissions requirements.

So why the hell would you go from Claremont, where Helen Keller could get a 3.5 and easily qualify for admission, to a school with a rigorous academic load like Mater Dei where you're competing with kids who have been privately educated for the last 13 years of their lives?

Return to “High School”