The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

Surf & Wave divisions ~ OC Sunset League

SK80

Surf & Wave divisions ~ OC Sunset League

Postby SK80 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:43 pm

Sunset League unveils new Surf and Wave divisions for 2018 fall season

http://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilo ... story.html

Cowabunga Dude and Dudettes...!!

Anyone see this yet... so here is how the new Sunset League will look in most sports... seems convoluted and overly processed... but hey maybe, who knows..., could be good. So like CIF Division Playoffs, within the Sunset, teams will be places in Surf or Wave Division based on performance..... wow.

I will say when looking at Water Polo, Tennis and Volleyball you have a public ALL-NATION league.

Nice to see my Sea Kings are the only Sunset school now to be placed in the top "Wave Division" in all sports... :thumbsup:
Last edited by John Q. Public on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: made the title mixed case

TomDrake

Re: Surf & Wave divisions ~ OC Sunset League

Postby TomDrake » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:22 am

The surf division in waterpolo has to be the most dominant in the sport.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:29 am

Likely half the US Olympic team could be in that half of the league!

Sixth Man

Postby Sixth Man » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:52 am

CDM could compete in the Trinity League in most sports. They are more like a private than a public school in a lot of ways.

frankieboy1

Postby frankieboy1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:27 pm

I flip that and say that SM is more like a public than most other Catholic HS's-most of the kids who go there come from the area served by their main feeder elementary school, St Junipero Serra (133 to the north, Crown Valley to the south, 5 to the west-so much so that they had to stick the letter C in the name of the school because so many people thought it was a public HS, sharing the school name with the town...)

SK80

Postby SK80 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:34 pm

Because they can compete in many sports that makes them more like a private school...?

Sixth Man

Postby Sixth Man » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:32 am

No, their ability to compete at the highest level, ability to raise funds, availability of extra training, percentage of students who participate in sports and extra-curricular activities, and number of students on free and reduced lunch make them more like private schools. It's a great school and I'm not knocking them. You just can't judge them on their number of students.

TomDrake

Postby TomDrake » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:40 am

With open enrollment and transfer rules, the number of students in a school is not a big factor in athletic success anymore.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:10 am

"OPEN ENROLLMENT"? Who has open enrollment? Privates of course but you can't use that statement in publics....

TomDrake

Postby TomDrake » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:22 am

Yes. Open enrollment. Almost every OC district has a very open enrollment policy within their own districts boundaries and most have liberal open enrollment policies for inter-district transfers as well. It's all about $$$$. More students enrolled in the district = more money for that district. Newport Mesa, Irvine, Capo, Huntington Beach, etc. They all have some form of open enrollment. Publics can't go out and openly recruit kids the way privates can. But if a kid comes to them... all is good.

TheFan

Postby TheFan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:24 am

In the HBUSD if a kid comes to your school as a freshman, he can get in any of the six HS if he lives within the District, if he is outside most likely he can get in as a transfer.

If after his freshman year, a varsity player who wants to be play right away, either from inside or outside the district it become more difficult but not impossible. The kid must establish residency with the school's boundary and get a release for the school he wants to leave. The release and residency is reviewed by the CIF.
Privates are not subject to the residency review.

Sixth Man

Postby Sixth Man » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:35 am

If there is a legit move, the student does not have to be granted a release. Many districts are not allowing students to leave their districts any longer. With competition from privates and charters, districts are not releasing their students to attend other districts. Anaheim Union for example is not releasing students to attend Fullerton, Orange, Los Al, et al because they are protecting their assets. ADA is how they get paid.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:38 am

TheFan wrote:The release and residency is reviewed by the CIF.

Yes, but in most cases the "review" is a perfunctory joke.

Privates are not subject to the residency review.

That is absolutely untrue. Private schools are subject to the same change of residence requirements and review rules as the publics.

TomDrake

Postby TomDrake » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:55 am

TheFan is correct. Most 8th graders can pick which high school they want to attend within their district (I'm sure there are a few exceptions). And I'm fairly certain that all OC districts allow inter-district transfers as well, as a way of increasing revenue. You don't need to have an excuse like an agricultural program anymore.

Sixth Man wrote:Source of the post Anaheim Union for example is not releasing students to attend Fullerton, Orange, Los Al, et al because they are protecting their assets.
Sixth Man, this would make sense but, I'm not sure it's entirely true. I have no official numbers, but I know of students who live in the Cypress boundaries (Anaheim district) that attend Los Alamitos High School. I think there are quite a few.

TheFan

Postby TheFan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:29 pm

MDad,

So did your stud MLB Parents, move from Claremont to the OC ?

thanks

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:48 pm

Yes, but they didn't have to.

If an athlete is transferring into a public school, he must move out of the enrollment area of the school he's leaving and into the enrollment area of his new school. If an athlete is transferring into a private school, he must move out of the enrollment area of the school he is leaving and into the enrollment area of any other high school. In either case, failure to do so means a sit-out period of 30 days from the start of the season.

TheFan

Postby TheFan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:52 pm

So his whole family move out to Santa Ana...interesting

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:01 pm

I didn't say Santa Ana. And I didn't say his whole family.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:20 pm

So his whole family move out to Santa Ana...interesting

Stop moving the goalposts and admit you didn't know what you were talking about...
Oct. 25: "One of the great memories of all time"
Nov.02: "I don't remember much about that meeting..."

How stupid is our country?
Donald Trump

SK80

Postby SK80 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:50 pm

It just so funny to see you all debating this as if privates and publics have same open enrollment rules... just so damn funny... :lol: Even funnier the private fandom defending their game once again.... ROFL

Actually the discussion/debate was about CDM and being compared to a private with all its open enrollment. So yes, a kid wishing Newport Mesa can apply but not many spots are open and the district is so small it is insignificant. Saying a school like CDM is benefiting from open enrollment and somewhat like a private is just not that. If the rules fro publics really became OPEN the schools like CDM could possibly compete with the districts like Sunset or the La habras and Mission Viejos....

I can attest to this... more star caliber is lost/exportedrecruited to privates than the star caliber transferring in from outside areas, districts or regions. A significant amount of Trinity athletes are from Newport and CDM... Can't think of any off hand at CDM from Santa Ana, San Juan, Rancho Santa Margarita or Bellflower. :eh?:

Return to “High School”