Public and Private D1

SoCalFball

Public and Private D1

Postby SoCalFball » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:02 pm

I know it’s been discussed on this four about splitting up public and privates. I just took some info from this year playoff divisions and came up what they could look like. The number after the school represent what that particular school finished in their league.

DIVISION 1 Public
(18 schools)
Corona Centennial 1
Mission Viejo 1
San Clemente 2
Murrieta Valley 1
Rancho Cucamonga 2
Vista Murrieta 3
Long Beach Poly 1
La Habra 1
Valencia 1
Norco 2
Edison 2
Chino Hills 6
Upland 1
Los Alamitos 1
Tesoro 3
Calabasas 1
La Mirada 2
Heritage 1

DIVISION 1 Private
(18 schools)
St. John Bosco 2
Mater Dei 1
Chaminade 1
Santa Margarita 3
Serra 3
Bishop Amat 2
Orange Lutheran 6
Servite 4
Alemany 7
Servite 5
Loyola 4
Oaks Christian 1
Notre Dame 5
Cathedral 1
St. Bonaventure 4
Sierra Canyon 2
St. Francis 2
Crespi 6

SoCalFball

Re: Public and Private D1

Postby SoCalFball » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:05 pm

Now granted I think in the public D1 you would have the same teams in CC and Mission Viejo in the semis every year. Private it would be MD and Bosco ans then everyone else lol

frankieboy1

Postby frankieboy1 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:52 am

No JSerra? Servite on your list twice.

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:38 am

Uh oh now what...

hit the lights

Postby hit the lights » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:27 am

Merry Christmas PTG!
I like it! :thumbsup:

SoCalFball

Postby SoCalFball » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:52 am

Your right I do have Servite twice one of them is suppose to be Jserra.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:54 am

SoCalFball, so you think competition and fairness would be better served if Mater Dei and St. John Bosco would play against Sierra Canyon and Crespi, rather than Corona Centennial and Mission Viejo, right?

SoCalFball

Postby SoCalFball » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:38 am

First off it was a hypothetical. Secondly I know it would probably never happen because CIF wouldn’t do it. Lastly to answer your question nobody is gonna be competitive with MD and Bosco when they are on another level on and off the field.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:37 am

With all due respect, nobody is going to be competitive with Corona Centennial either. The reality is that those three programs have separated themselves from the rest of the pack (for the time being), and separating privates and publics will do nothing to solve that problem. Significantly, the remaining 16 teams you proposed putting in the private division would play very competitive games against their public counterparts, and among the lower teams would be overmatched.

And please remember, the CIF doesn't make these kinds of decisions - the member schools do. And there are certainly a lot more public schools who could make this happen if they chose to.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:11 am

Actually what some of you are missing is that if it were to happen some more parody would come eventually. Looking at it today, yes a case could be made CC and MV just become the MD and SJB of the publics. However I think over time with a closer "rule" environment in both respected divisions, public/private..., you would see some of the privates come up to the top and some of the publics as well.

I also see in the future some of these IE teams encroaching on CC's power grip.

Within the private/public separation could come a new/different division structure. I could see Privates go with a D1,2 possible 3 depending on performance as well as enrollment. There are some very small privates that obviously in football would not compete with MD.

In publics I would like to see less divisions. I would cut the 13 now in half or in the least possibly 8.

TheFan

Postby TheFan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:13 am

I agree with the concept, but in reality what should happen is just like in basketball, where teams get put on a potential "Open" division list, then 8 teams from Private schools just play themselves.

BTW, LM days are long gone. Lost coach, lost major donors, lost transfer, and Admin hate sports, football in particular.

frankieboy1

Postby frankieboy1 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:54 am

The only private in the IE at this time that has a chance of competing in Open-d1 is Damien. If you had one in Corona/Norco things in the IE would be different.

See post below as for an update on the startup Catholic HS in Temecula (first classes next fall).
Last edited by frankieboy1 on Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frankieboy1

Postby frankieboy1 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:59 am

and the Catholic HS is on the way to Temecula-St Jeanne parish is building both elementary and HS's....first classes (freshman/sophomores) next fall.

Let's see how fast they ramp up football/basketball-and who they hire as coaches. If they hire someone like Hartigan or Kunau (who coaches at a Christian HS out there)-watch out.
Last edited by frankieboy1 on Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:01 pm

I've always wondered why Riverside Notre Dame has not progressed over the years in becoming
a larger HS with a more defined upbeat athletic program, it would certainly take away from CC,if it ever came about with the right HC's there.

scj60

Postby scj60 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:41 pm

frankieboy1 wrote:The only private in the IE at this time that has a chance of competing in Open-d1 is Damien. If you had one in Corona/Norco things in the IE would be different.

See post below as for an update on the startup Catholic HS in Temecula (first classes next fall).

Damien is actually a San Gabriel Valley school as it is located in La Verne.

Riverside Notre Dame has access to athletes but doesn't have the vision or resources to become a player.

San Bernardino Aquinas is capable and has resources but will they step up?

frankieboy1

Postby frankieboy1 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:25 pm

Damien plays in the Baseline League with Upland, Etiwanda, Chino Hills-so while technically not IE (it is LA County, correct?) it plays in the IE, much as Bosco is in LA County but plays in the Orange County section of CIF-and the Trinity League (in fact is the only LA County school in the OC Section)...

scj60

Postby scj60 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:14 am

frankieboy1 wrote:The only private in the IE at this time that has a chance of competing in Open-d1 is Damien. If you had one in Corona/Norco things in the IE would be different.

I'm surprised Damien doesn't get more players out of the East SGV area or even the Upland/RC/Pomona area.

frankieboy1

Postby frankieboy1 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:01 pm

Remember that when Thousand Oaks was being built the nearest Catholic HS that accepted boys (LaReina is girls only) were either Crespi in Encino or St Bonaventure. The demand was there for a co-ed Catholic HS (and if I remember correctly when the new Moorpark HS was built in the late 80's there was talk of the diocese of LA buying it for a Catholic HS)-but the powers downtown preferred to prop up existing schools like Santa Clara which have been under financial stress for 30 years rather than go where the money and demand was. Oaks Christian opened up-and sucked up a lot of kids that should have went to a Catholic HS as a result.

Same happened in Valencia-diocese wouldn't let them build there either-nearest place to go to Catholic HS is Alemany-while they have had success with Herrington, it's not like he would have had if they built in the SCV.

In contrast the Diocese of Orange was all-in on the construction of Santa Margarita in the late 1980's (on land donated by big Catholic Church backers the O'Neills/Moiso as part of the RSM masterplan-a successful model copied by Mater Dei Catholic in San Diego and Bishop Gorman in Las Vegas)- and gave it's approval to JSerra being officially "Catholic" when it was built in the early 2000's. Both schools are at max capacity and the success of the Trinity League is in large part due to the construction of these two.

Part of the reason you go big in sports is to create the virtuous cycle = winning teams=more applications=more donations=kids of students going to school there=games on TV=inclusion in wills, etc=investment in school facilities (both academic and athletic). St John Bosco has rebuilt the entire school on donations raised since the football team got good as an example.

Takes administrations with a vision to see this-which seem to be lacking at Notre Dame and Aquinas. It will be interesting to see the route St. Jeanne goes. The plan calls for 500 kids in the HS-which seems too small for me given the competition and location. In theory-given the location and status as only private Catholic HS for miles in either direction-it could be a Trinity-level sports monster.

broman

Postby broman » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:56 pm

Rack em.....

scj60

Postby scj60 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:15 pm

Great post Frankie

Return to “High School”