Trinity League Soccer

inflagrantedelicto

Trinity League Soccer

Postby inflagrantedelicto » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:12 am

Nationally-ranked #3 Servite defeated St. Augustine, 4-1 in today's action at the fledgling Varsity Soccer Showcase, to give coach Jon Spencer his 100th win at the school. Since taking over in 2012, Spencer has led the Friars to TL titles in 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016 & 2017, along with a CIF Div. 1 championship (2015) and two State Regional appearances (Runner-up 2015).

MD managed a win over SMCHS, 3-0. Surprising in that Sondheimer has been pimping the Eagles as challengers for the TL title.

LuHi defeated Bosco, 1-0.

cruiser

Re: Trinity League Soccer

Postby cruiser » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:56 pm

Interesting, MD used to be a premiere program in the 90's and early 2000's, then the NHL youth
training leagues/camps started up and the first year took 60% of MD's starters that year that
was projected to be a high nationally ranked team, MD had already won five D1 championships
in a ten year time span or so,if I remember right,in any case the HC resigned his position mainly because these new training leagues were taking his best players every year, he became MD's AD for several years and left for a position at a nearby community college several years later.

The boys soccer program has never been the same since he left....

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:09 pm

Just a Mater Dei of time...one would think a walk down the hall to listen in on what it takes to dominate would be in order...

sgthartman

Postby sgthartman » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:17 pm

Congratulations to Coach Spencer and his Friars. With one son currently on the varsity, and one that graduated prior to Spencer's arrival, I can only imagine the amount of success the would have had if he'd been with the program during the years his predecessor was there. Spencer doesn't get the talent that the previous coach had but gets the most out of what comes his way.
Now we only hope that neither Bosco nor MD come at him with a hefty raise and offers of free tuition for his two young boys to steal him away. :D
Seven-six-two millimeter. Full. Metal. Jacket.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:17 pm

First you extol his virtues, and then you imply he's not above accepting a bribe :eh?:
"How America elected a narcissist, racist, white supremacist to be their president defies logic"
Boniface Mwangi

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

sgthartman

Postby sgthartman » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:36 pm

Sorry there isn't a "sarcasm" font. But yes you're right, the MD "bribe as a recruiting tool" wouldn't work with Coach.

inflagrantedelicto

Postby inflagrantedelicto » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:03 pm

Servite improved to 5-0 (14-1-1) in TL play, with a comeback 3-1 win at Mater Dei. Very impressed with the MD student turnout and support in the losing effort.
With the football and basketball programs in shambles, an underachieving baseball program, kids transferring out in droves, the Formation and Priory systems shadows of their former selves, the soccer program (golf and wrestling, also to a lesser extent, also robotics) soon may be all Bowen can sell to prospective student-athletes. And soccer doesn't pay the bills...
Percussus Resurgo

inflagrantedelicto

Postby inflagrantedelicto » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:23 am

Congratulations, Coach Jon Spencer and Servite Soccer for another Trinity League championship. That's FIVE CONSECUTIVE league titles. Something that had not been previously accomplished in TL history. Like a breath of fresh air in a world of accusations of "player-for-hire" improprieties, HS futbol has thus far been unsullied. HS soccer isn't the 'juga bonito" of upper level club, and the skill level is reflective of that. Spencer - and coaches of other top HS programs - are to be commended for achieving success through teamwork and for working with what they have to create a cohesive side.
Percussus Resurgo

NotDonaldBren

Postby NotDonaldBren » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:41 am

With all the recent cries about "All Star Teams" in SoCal HS football and basketball, imagine what a team of high school age soccer-playing Brazilians, Argentinians, Dutch, Germans, etc. would look like. A side of Messi-s out there. I'm all for US soccer (and getting it out of the ditch its currently stuck in), but the best team in SoCal, California, or the US would have ZERO shot. It would be Globetrotters v. Generals out there.

That is, if the best HS-age kids in those countries weren't being shopped and placed in rich European club franchises' training programs from about age 12.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:11 pm

Congratulations to the Friars and Coach Spencer for their 5th straight Trinity League title, and their sixth in the last seven years. But I have a question for soccer aficionados.

Didn't soccer teams used to get 2 points for a win and 1 for a tie? I looked at the Southern California High School Soccer Coaches Assn., and it shows some still do. But the Trinity League and many others evidently now give 3 points for a win. Is that correct?

In this case, Servite has clinched the title, while if 2 points per win was still the norm, MD could tie Servite with a win over the Friars in the final league game.

So, have the Friars clinched the title. or just clinched at least a tie for the title?
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

inflagrantedelicto

Postby inflagrantedelicto » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:27 pm

Friars have clinched the TL title.

joefutbol

Postby joefutbol » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:40 pm

NotDonaldBren wrote:imagine what a team of high school age soccer-playing Brazilians, Argentinians, Dutch, Germans, etc. would look like. A side of Messi-s out there. I'm all for US soccer (and getting it out of the ditch its currently stuck in), but the best team in SoCal, California, or the US would have ZERO shot. It would be Globetrotters v. Generals out there.

Imagine what a USA high school soccer team of Amon-Ra St. Brown, Adoree Jackson, Jack Jones, Sean McGrew, etc... would look like. Or maybe Antonio Brown, Brandin Cooks, and Odell Beckham at the forward positions and Lebron James with a 7'0" wingspan and 40 inch vertical playing goalie.

The best team in the world wouldn't have a shot.

NotDonaldBren

Postby NotDonaldBren » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:09 pm

joefutbol wrote:Source of the post Imagine what a USA high school soccer team of Amon-Ra St. Brown, Adoree Jackson, Jack Jones, Sean McGrew, etc... would look like. Or maybe Antonio Brown, Brandin Cooks, and Odell Beckham at the forward positions and Lebron James with a 7'0" wingspan and 40 inch vertical playing goalie.

I'm with you, no doubt. That would be at least a fair matchup. BUT only if the kids here that you mentioned began playing and OBSESSING over soccer somewhere around preschool age and never stopped, as kids in those countries do. That's really an illustration of why USA soccer isn't (and might never be) in the same class. Not because America doesn't have the resources or fan base. To state the obvious, its about the sports CULTURE.

Most of America's most talented youth athletes with the skillset to play soccer choose to play other sports, like football or basketball. There are so many other choices and those other choices are more glorified. Soccer is more of a hobby here for many of the top shelf athletes, whereas its an obsession year round in other parts of the world for the MOST TALENTED kids. With the exception of baseball and a couple other examples, some of the most popular sports in the US don't even exist in soccer crazed countries (fOOtball), or aren't played at the same skill level (basketball).

By the way, AB and Odell with a lifetime of soccer would be OBSCENELY good. And playing LeBron at goalie would be such a waste. His vertical and overall ridiculous athleticism would be of much more use on the move in that game, even at 6'8" 260 (probably 240 if he played soccer full time). Of any basketball player for the goalie spot, I might go with Oliver Miller (sheer size with athleticism in his hey-day) or Bol Bol (wingspan alone would stretch from post to post).

joefutbol

Postby joefutbol » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:44 pm

Agree 100%. It comes down to money, and there's not a whole lot of money in soccer in this country. The highest paid American soccer player makes less than some NFL kickers. It's getting better, but it will still be a while before the United States is competitive on the world level.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:55 pm

I agree. Too many dads with athletic sons point them in the direction of sports with the biggest paydays, even though the odds of succeeded in those sports are much longer.

On the other hand, the American women's soccer team has been extremely successful on the international stage, probably partly because our best female athletes don't have the same number of big-money alternatives.

NotDonaldBren

Postby NotDonaldBren » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:40 pm

MDDad wrote:Source of the post On the other hand, the American women's soccer team has been extremely successful on the international stage, probably partly because our best female athletes don't have the same number of big-money alternatives.

Yeah see that's an astute and really interesting point about our young women's sports options here in the US. Reality is there isn't big money, or more importantly big GLAMOUR and mainstream attention, in American women's pro sports. For the most part, although our media does make some efforts, girls dont grow up seeing a female version of Lebron, Curry, Brady, Odell, or Mike Trout portrayed in media in the same way those men are. The ones our little girls see in their formative years (and possible emulate) are largely in Olympic sports, including soccer, tennis, swimming, basketball, volleyball, gymnastics (although we may not want to go there right now). Those stars may only come around every 4 years (Katie Ledecky, Simone Biles), or play sports seen as side attractions in the US (Serena Williams, Maya Moore).

So there's no real draw for a young girl here to stop playing, say, soccer, and move on to something more popular, if she started with soccer and she likes it. With no women's sport being exaggeratedly more glamorized in the US than others, a young lady might just chose soccer at a young age and dig deeper into it as she gets older -- maybe long enough to become a star in college and then an Olympian. Then our womens Olympic soccer team ends up with a bunch of the most talented young women on it. Whereas on the mens side, the Lebrons and Odells have long moved on to basketball and football -- and who can blame them.

So I'd agree with the point there, our best female athletes dont have the alternative mainstream sports options to shift to at a young age that our best young male athletes do....

NotDonaldBren

Postby NotDonaldBren » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:10 pm

MDDad wrote:Source of the post On the other hand, the American women's soccer team has been extremely successful on the international stage, probably partly because our best female athletes don't have the same number of big-money alternatives.

... However, I don't agree that most of the Odells and Lebrons of America are being dad-guided in the direction of football or basketball, and away from soccer in particular, just for money. Lebron didn't even have a dad around in Akron, neither did Antonio Brown in Miami. Odell's pops was in and out of his life as a youth, and was recently arrested on gun charges in Texas. Brandin Cooks grew up on the mean streets of Stockton CA without his dad, who died of a heart attack when he was 6.

All of these football/basketball stars are examples of the American version of hardscrabble kids in soccer countries: limited access to resources, finds incredibly popular accessible sport at young age that entire peer-group is playing, realizes immense skill level, ignores "hobby" sports to focus on sport that brings most joy with best chance of success. This doesn't HAVE to involve a Marv Marinovich, Richard Williams, or Lavar Ball. Most times it doesn't (see above). The KEY difference here, and it goes to our earlier points, is that in our country these kids with the talent that could have succeeded in soccer end up in hoops or on the gridiron (again, who can blame them - its often a perfect fit). In Argentina or the Netherlands, they'd be in a pre-professional soccer academy at 8 or 9.

For Lebron, basketball was just something wanted to do with his boys from a very young age. If he EVER played soccer, it was probably in PE class. He was told and thereby realized super young, around 8-9 years old, that he was too good to stop playing hoop and it would take him places. It wasnt until 12-13 that he was pulled into the pro business and media side of basketball, at the time unheard of and probably earlier than any American youth in history before him. In soccer however, kids that age in other countries were routinely pulled into the pro circles at that age. For Lebron though, it wasnt like he had a guided and planned career, staged by some obsessed dad. His mom's issues could be debated, but she certainly didn't have a PLAN for what happened with Lebron (even SHE wasn't there at times if you know his story).

NotDonaldBren

Postby NotDonaldBren » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:10 pm

I actually don't fault dads that do have a "plan" for their sons - it is THEIR kid. I mostly don't think we should be telling people how to parent their kids, unless there is some form of abuse, neglect, or blatant exploitation going on. Whether we are talking about sports or something else. Some are worse than others obviously, but for example, John Brown has never really bothered me (other than his recent obsession with promoting Cane Protein through his sons, mostly Amon). In that case, a dad with a background in pro bodybuilding didnt simply turn his sons into Jr. Meatheads -- he asked his sons what they liked, they chose football, and all became D1 players (with at least 2 pro prospects). I honestly believe if they had said "Dad, we want to play soccer," JB would have moved to Europe somewhere and did his best to turn each of them into the next CR7.

In addition, each of them is a multi-lingual, free-thinking kid brought up by two strong minded parents who was/is an exceptional student, and all of them were recruited by and actually did gain admission to Stanford, Notre Dame or USC and colleges of that academic ilk even aside from their athletic skills. So I dont see them as young versions of Marinovich, a robot with no ambition, separate accomplishments or free thought (no offense to Todd, he's said it himself). As noted, I don't see all these guys as just another Lavar or Marv.

So, 1) I dont think that ALL the talented kids who chose football or basketball instead of soccer do it for money or becasue they were steered by a dad/mom/handler, and 2) I don't think all of the influence dads/parents are created equal. Not that that's being said HERE exactly, but there are those out there that are saying that.

NotDonaldBren

Postby NotDonaldBren » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:11 pm

Just my thoughts, ya know :)

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:33 pm

NotDonaldBren wrote:I actually don't fault dads that do have a "plan" for their sons - it is THEIR kid.

Welcome to the forum, NotBren. I agree with everything you say, except that I have a comment on this one sentence. Yes, it is their son, and that gives them certain latitude. However, because I see it every day, I do fault those dads whose only plan for their sons is a million-to-one shot, and they have no Plan B. That's almost a certain recipe for failure.

Return to “High School”