New Mission Staff

TommyTrojan

New Mission Staff

Postby TommyTrojan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:12 pm

A good friend of mine sat down with Chad Johnson the other day and shared a few things with me, one of which left me scratching my head. Perhaps I'm behind the times and just ignorant of the way things are being done these days, but it seems that Mission's staff next year will include a couple XO/scheme guys and some positional coaches including 4 DB coaches, one for each spot on the field. However two of those coaches won't be there on Friday night or on the weekends. They are tasked with wearing the gear and heading out to scout the talent with the sole intent of finding the best players and recruiting them to the program. Similar for the other side of the ball.

Is this the new norm? I can't imagine this is a system that Chad came up to use at Mission and likely had something similar at Bosco? Do schools now just brazenly have recruiters on staff who aren't even game night guys, game plan guys? I know programs would hire youth coaches in the hopes that kids would follow them, but this is the first I've heard of this type of idea and can't believe that we've gone so far as to be at the point where there isn't even any attempt to hide that recruiting is going on.

A few months ago I listened to my sister's story of getting a phone call from a coach who tried to talk her and my nephew into leaving his current school and attending the coach's school. I couldn't believe the audacity and figured this must be an odd situation.

Am I just out of touch with reality and has HS sports gone this route?

TheFan

Re: New Mission Staff

Postby TheFan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:25 pm

Is this story true ? or fake news...by a hater ?
The only thing close to this kind of story is the OC Buckeye's youth FB team which just won a national title and when Fenton left FV High. They are ex FV Junior All American coaches and board members. They went over and formed the OC Buckeyes and a couple coaches now work for Fenton at Los Al. Line Six baby...
Last edited by TheFan on Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

templar83

Postby templar83 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:15 pm

There's haters on this board?

TommyTrojan

Postby TommyTrojan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:04 pm

This is no doubt a true story, and I am certainly no fan of Mission Viejo.

FriarJoe

Postby FriarJoe » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:10 pm

Bosco does this. They have an assistant outside linebacker coach that just coaches youth teams, attends camps and coaches at all star games etc. He is on the sideline on game nights but does no actual coaching as far as I can tell. He is just a recruiter and rah rah cheerleader. I’m sure that’s where Johnson gets the idea.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:22 pm

I wondered who that guy was

"How America elected a narcissist, racist, white supremacist to be their president defies logic"
Boniface Mwangi

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

FBOC

Postby FBOC » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:52 pm

Where are the transfers? Haven't heard of one. Did they keep any of the current staff?

hit the lights

Postby hit the lights » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:31 am

Tommy T,
Yeah, its a little crazy that the head coaches allow these leeches in their program, or 7 on 7 ,/ speed coaches / fitness
guru's, handlers, whatever you want to call them. It is a way for them to increase their business (handler) and get their agenda across. Who cares about the team, but im gonna promise so and so they can go to MV, start, and i will coach them, while getting paid for my services, twice! Its such a huge raackett, but coaches allow it, because they think they will get a ring out of it. What happens is, unless you are MD, You end up dividing the team and community all for the HOPE
the leeches promise. Its funny to see all of them on the sideline acting the part, just a bunch of busters, bringing all their 3 star IVY league talent. Good luck :lol:
Usually, it doesnt work out like the way MD'S magical season turned out.
Gotta have alot of :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents:

RoadRunner

Postby RoadRunner » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:12 am

FriarJoe wrote:Bosco does this. They have an assistant outside linebacker coach that just coaches youth teams, attends camps and coaches at all star games etc. He is on the sideline on game nights but does no actual coaching as far as I can tell. He is just a recruiter and rah rah cheerleader. I’m sure that’s where Johnson gets the idea.

Yup his name is Terry Bullock
" Inter-National Scouting Director for Youth Football"

albundyrules

Postby albundyrules » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:27 am

Friar Joe, you are a clown. These schools don't have to go out and recruit, 8th graders maybe but that's what private schools and now public schools have been doing for years.

Do you really think they are going to waste their time with other teams players? You must not be around these parents these days, they are all about their individual stats and tweeter fame. All they care about is how many offers their kid gets. 99% of the time these parents shop their kids. Coaches don't have to do anything anymore except wait and see who is next to show up at their door step.

FBOC

Postby FBOC » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:03 am

Did MV get any transfers?

TommyTrojan

Postby TommyTrojan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:59 am

The new semester doesn't start until the end of January so Mission is unlikely to get many transfers until then.

Al, sadly some schools do recruit players from other schools. My nephew is at a Trinity school and got a call from a coach at another Trinity school trying to get him to transfer this past summer. It does happen.

hit the lights

Postby hit the lights » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:22 pm

Like all those Paramount running backs that end up half way around the world at Jserra, and the Buena Park kid. What about Olu and J Hawkins , and kids from Servite. That Handeler / OC got quite a few kids to show up. Including Hillinski. It's just a circus act with no loyalty. Keeping up with the Jones's , how about real blue collar grinding and coaching, not just bringing in 5 star guys to make the stats. Grow your own corn, stop buying it canned, it's not the same. Home grown!

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:55 pm

hit the lights wrote:Source of the post just a bunch of busters, bringing all their 3 star IVY league talent

Not above insulting less talented kids to make your point, I guess.

FYI your boy Josiah Norwood just got tagged by Army, his first Division 1-A offer...not Ivy league, though
"How America elected a narcissist, racist, white supremacist to be their president defies logic"
Boniface Mwangi

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

hit the lights

Postby hit the lights » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:13 am

I wasnt insulting Josiah. If youve seen anything else ive said about Josiah, i respect him and his decision to leave a lesser school and compete vs the best. He balled out, and probably should have got more than just Army. Unless . he wanted that. There are others out there who leave top programs for lesser and want respect? lol.
Those are the IVY LEAGUE guys. Thank God they have a brain.

hit the lights

Postby hit the lights » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:22 am

also, we were talking about the "handlers / 7 on 7 , speed, fitness, position coach guy, who solicits these kids.
Those are the busters on the sideline, that dont even live 20 mile near your school. Who are these leeches?
What is there agenda? Why does the administration at the school or the district allow it? Most coaches need back ground checks and more to be apart of the school program around, your kids. Just seems like, some people arent doing there job on policing these people or situations.

TommyTrojan

Postby TommyTrojan » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:22 am

It does seem like there is a connection between the rise of club/travel ball teams and the growing numbers of kids who move schools. In those club systems (and I'm thinking of soccer that I'm most familiar with) it isn't uncommon to have kids move from team to team and have a "better" club team recruit kids who play for someone else. There is a clear ranking system and parents are very aware of whose teams are the best. Those teams are only loosely city based, so the idea of playing with kids from outside your neighborhood is no big deal.

I get that things have changed. We have a 4Vert team, run youth camps and the like. Where do you draw the line? I can see why Mike Mayoral at ET retired as a head coach. There are so many things a head coach has to deal with these days that aren't actually coaching football. Honestly, its a relief to get to the season and put all that behind you and just do the stuff you got into this for. Being a good coach these days seems every bit as much about getting the best players in as actually teaching kids football.

hit the lights

Postby hit the lights » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:02 am

So True. Enjoy retirement mr. Mayrol.
Maybe we need to just say no to human high school football player trafficking.
ICE!

thebull

Postby thebull » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:19 am

That and drama with an administration that couldn't give a rats ass about running a successful program is going to run good coaches out...

Just saying

twodogs

Postby twodogs » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:02 pm

I hope El Toro administration takes this serious and doesn't f this up program is going in right direction again after great run this year.Hopefully Mayrol can help with search. Get program back up to being top notch public!

Return to “High School”