Servite's Next Football Coach

Professor Fate

Servite's Next Football Coach

Postby Professor Fate » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:54 am

Who should they get? Jim Hartigan might not be available. I think he has an AD gig at Santa Margarita.

Matt Mitchell would be a good choice. Was great as OC for the Friars, until Troy Thomas fired him.

Troy Thomas isn't likely, and I don't think he'd be a wise choice.

Somebody mentioned Herrington, but I think he'd take Servite down the same path MD and Bosco took. Besides, he has a job at Paraclete.

Before all the transfers left, I predicted a winless league season for 2018. Even more likely now that they are gone. Because of this, there is nothing to lose. It's time to start from scratch.

Call AJ Gass and beg him to come back, and guarantee him 5 years to turn it all around, the Servite way. Servite's defenses were good under Coach Gass.

Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

Red

Re: Servite's Next Football Coach

Postby Red » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:08 am

Hey Fate, instead of complaining, tell cockroach....lurker82 to open the wallet like they did in year's past when Servite broke "The Streak". Unless, Like Russia's military, he broke the bank. :mrgreen:
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

sammy swordsman

Postby sammy swordsman » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:52 am

I am sure the admin will put together a committee to conduct a "nation wide search"......and end up promoting a freshman asst. coach. Sad

sammy swordsman

Postby sammy swordsman » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:01 am

The Troy Thomas of 2006-2011 would be an excellent choice. The Troy Thomas of 2012 would put a stake in the program.

From 2006-2011 TT was arguably one of the best HC in So Cal. The parents loved him, and the teams (made up of 4 yr. players) loved playing for him. The environment was healthy, and the program thrived

2012 was a disaster, when TT fired Mitchell and Nichols and changed the Pistol for: a. Harry Welch offence with the DLS O-line techniques. The parents in that 2012 class also contributed to the disaster that drove TT off the deep end. TT made some crazy bad choices in 2012 and created an untenable position for himself. It was a shocking turn for a very proud and successful program

sammy swordsman

Postby sammy swordsman » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:45 am

Mater Dei and SJB are out of control, getting 3*, 4*, 5* transfers to fill key roster spots. There are ZERO (0) teams in California that will be able to compete successfully with those programs for the forseeable future.

Servite can and should compete successfully with OLU, SM, JSerra and the Mission League teams. That should be the expectation of the new coach.
Last edited by sammy swordsman on Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

SoCalFball

Postby SoCalFball » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:34 am

Is any good coach going to want to take that job considering the support or lack of I should say from the admin. Look at how many kids left the program in the last two season. The varsity team will be on a JV level compared to the rest of the league. Servite might as well move out of the trinity league even tho I know that isn’t a real possibility.

Bick

Postby Bick » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:19 pm

sammy swordsman wrote:Source of the post Servite can and should compete successfully with OLU, SM, JSerra and the Mission League teams. That should be the expectation of the new coach.

Agree. Those are very reasonable expectations until / unless SJB & MD come back to earth.

familyoffriars

Postby familyoffriars » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:23 pm

sammy swordsman wrote:The Troy Thomas of 2006-2011 would be an excellent choice. The Troy Thomas of 2012 would put a stake in the program.

From 2006-2011 TT was arguably one of the best HC in So Cal. The parents loved him, and the teams (made up of 4 yr. players) loved playing for him. The environment was healthy, and the program thrived

2012 was a disaster, when TT fired Mitchell and Nichols and changed the Pistol for: a. Harry Welch offence with the DLS O-line techniques. The parents in that 2012 class also contributed to the disaster that drove TT off the deep end. TT made some crazy bad choices in 2012 and created an untenable position for himself. It was a shocking turn for a very proud and successful program

Very accurate description of the Troy Thomas era. Someone back then described some of those crazy bad choices as a war among idiot men where the players were used as pawns. Always stuck with me as an appropriate description.

Shame we are back in turmoil. Really hoped Coach M was going to be a good fit. Personally, would love to see Gass come back; but not holding out hope. They treated him very poorly.

inflagrantedelicto

Postby inflagrantedelicto » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:05 pm

Bick wrote:Agree. Those are very reasonable expectations until / unless SJB & MD come back to earth.

And that's not going to happen without transfer rule being addressed. Bosco has really upgraded their facilities, and with their success won't likely see a slowdown in transfer traffic. With enough griping by schools that don't have SJB in their initials, perhaps the TL will be realigned someday, without Bellflower Academy. Otherwise, they are here to stay. Now that MD has stepped up to answer Bosco, transfer-to-transfer, they too likely won't see much of a fall off. Don't have to like it, but get used to the new era of HS sports (football), right guys?

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:07 pm

Sammy Swordsman, Bick, FamilyofFriars, and Inflagrantedelicto all get it...Right on the money.
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

OCLongBall

Postby OCLongBall » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:09 pm

SoCalFball wrote:Is any good coach going to want to take that job considering the support or lack of I should say from the admin. Look at how many kids left the program in the last two season. The varsity team will be on a JV level compared to the rest of the league. Servite might as well move out of the trinity league even tho I know that isn’t a real possibility.
2 Seasons? The last 4 seasons to including losing the St Brown brothers.

OCLongBall

Postby OCLongBall » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:11 pm

OLU is taking on transfers like crazy. Two of Servite's stars last year and more this year. They seem to always fly under the radar.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:17 pm

by OCLongBall » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:09 pm
2 Seasons? The last 4 seasons to including losing the St Brown brothers.
Both great players, and one of them was a nice kid. Sure didn't miss the father and the distractions he brought. (I'm being kind there). I was glad to see them go, but the damage was already done.

Dailydose

Postby Dailydose » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:27 pm

Does anyone think a good coach wants to go to Servite? What for? No support from administration, winning doesn't matter to Servite, won't pay what a good coach is worth. Bowenpart wants to pad his pockets and has ruined that school. What do you expect from a 5 foot troll? Servite is done. They don't care to compete. Credo

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:43 pm

Gosh, I had no idea you felt that way. Bwahahahahahahahaha! :dead horse:

RPW

Postby RPW » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:08 am

Red wrote:Hey Fate, instead of complaining, tell cockroach....lurker82 to open the wallet like they did in year's past when Servite broke "The Streak". Unless, Like Russia's military, he broke the bank. :mrgreen:

Those were the best years. MD losing each time RDubJr was on the field.
I am The Voice of Reason

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:22 am

We consider those years the Dark Ages, or the Black Death. Fortunately, the Renaissance came along pretty quickly.

Bick

Postby Bick » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:42 am

inflagrantedelicto wrote:And that's not going to happen without transfer rule being addressed. Bosco has really upgraded their facilities, and with their success won't likely see a slowdown in transfer traffic. With enough griping by schools that don't have SJB in their initials, perhaps the TL will be realigned someday, without Bellflower Academy. Otherwise, they are here to stay. Now that MD has stepped up to answer Bosco, transfer-to-transfer, they too likely won't see much of a fall off. Don't have to like it, but get used to the new era of HS sports (football), right guys?

Maybe give it a couple more years to see what emerges. Seems there's always the "dynasty" that will never be beaten.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:53 am

Bick, you're right. The only constant about perpetual dynasties is that they end, usually abruptly and before anyone expects them to. And in high school football, I think the most common cause for that is a head coaching change.

Bick

Postby Bick » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:12 am

I don't think anyone here thinks were looking at the beginning of De La Salle circa 92-04. There's way too much talent down here v. what they had, and the schedule they played back then.

Return to “High School”