Sport Beat Writers ~ Layoffs

SK80

Sport Beat Writers ~ Layoffs

Postby SK80 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:54 am

I'm sure many of you have heard or seen some of the layoffs going around LA, OC and IE for the sport reporters. Surely a sign of the times but a bummer at the high school level. Pro and College can afford their own coverage and advertising. Most high schools not so much. We relied on the beat writers locally to get us in the papers.

I am especially sadden to see Jonathan Khamis let go at the OC Register. OCVarsity is much needed and I really enjoyed their coverage of all the games. I am sure Fryer and Albano will continue on as a duo. Jonathan if you read our forums THANKS BRAH and CARRY ON! :thumbsup:

Khamis.png
Last edited by John Q. Public on Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: made the title mixed case

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Sport Beat Writers ~ LAYOFFS

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:59 am

Thanks. I was about to post that. Any news on any others?

I'm about ready to subscribe, if only to do my little bit to keep our local news writers employed. Like them or agree with them or not, they're important.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

SK80

Re: Sport Beat Writers ~ Layoffs

Postby SK80 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:25 am

Ya tough call JQP but I think it's a little too late. As much as I have wanted to support my local papers and news outlets they give me too many reasons not too. Journalism is a lost art, we live in the hyped up world of opinion and propaganda.

Sixth Man

Postby Sixth Man » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:37 am

It's too bad. They do such a great job with high school sports. I have always appreciated the coverage. I remember the Anaheim Bulletin used to have a preview of high school and the Register took over after they folded. I think the staff writers do a great job and Khamis was a great part of that crew. Good luck Johnathan.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:50 am

And paywalls are only going to make it worse. I'm a news junkie and I'm already seeing a lot of stories from "more reputable" and local sites that I can't read. Our local writers work their butts off for us and I think we all should thank them for it.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:01 pm

Anyone think there is a correlation here to the new world of destination uber power high school recruited teams? They will get more attention and coverage that can be covered by the NCAA and Pro writers as those uber schools become somewhat more professional in nature. The rest of it all, publics, lower division becomes even more irrelevant. Not much need to cover and less of an audience. --:--
Last edited by SK80 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:20 pm

Agree somewhat on the bigger schools, agree 100% on the lower divisions. That's where they get their coverage and where the kids get their exposure.

I just noticed that the Register and all of Digital First's papers use WordPress VIP for their online versions - with the credit line left in, which I assume gets them a discount. I'm sure it's a very good platform and they're saving a bundle on hosting and IT costs, but it looks kind of like having their print version done by Kinko's.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:36 pm

Irvine World News..., Tim Burt ~ Writer :roll:

TimB.png
TimB.png (101.57 KiB) Viewed 974 times

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:41 pm

John Q. Public wrote:I'm about ready to subscribe...

You might want to reconsider. I've been a subscriber for over 45 years, and I'm about to quit. I've had it with the twice-a-year subscription price increases, and the fact that the paper gets smaller by the month. From Mondays through Thursdays it's the size and content of a high school weekly.

It's been a dinosaur circling the drain for years, and with the laying off of high school sports reporters, they're killing the only thing that made the paper unique and worth reading.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:33 pm

SK80 wrote:Source of the postthey will get more attention and coverage that can be covered by the NCAA and Pro writers as those uber schools become somewhat more professional in nature.

Sorry, but I think that's a ridiculous argument. Have NCAA basketball/football writers and analysts had their jobs taken by NBA/NFL writers and analysts? This is not an isolated case, there are well-known reasons why this has been happening to media in general and print media in particular. Mergers, downsizing, offshoring, technology, changing culture and tastes...don't to try to lay this off on high school student-athletes being allowed more freedom of choice
"Character matters to the presidency and Donald Trump will bring the highest level of integrity to the highest office in the land. You can count on it.”
Mike Pence

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

SK80

Postby SK80 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:58 pm

Bongo did you not read the sentence before it posed and offered up as as a QUESTION? There is no argument. You play the forum game like a pile-on of a fumbled football after the whistle has blown or the play called dead.

Better yet can you explain how you connect "OFFSHORING" to So Kali HS Football in media --:--

And I stand by my point, if HS Football which IS becoming SUPER POWER schools that the media, the writers, the big time NCAA coaches and the public WILL pay more attention and it WILL get MORE attention. Just maybe the writers up the rung will discuss and cover a bit more. Or even by default.

P.S. You have not earned a drum roll in some time... just sayin'.

BuckW

Postby BuckW » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:03 pm

I stopped taking the OC Register a couple of years ago when it became just another liberal rag like the LA Times.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:04 pm

Another writer signs off... IE man Landon Negri

Landon.png

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:07 pm

SK - it would be helpful if you could get on the same page with yourself before you post. First you insist it was merely a "question", then you say it was your "point". Which is it? This is like negotiating with Jello ](*,)

Look at what MDDAD wrote about the Reg...is that high school kids' fault?
"Character matters to the presidency and Donald Trump will bring the highest level of integrity to the highest office in the land. You can count on it.”
Mike Pence

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

SK80

Postby SK80 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:20 pm

Slicing and dicing now Bongo...... this only matters because u look at every line as an opportunity to pounce, comment, confuse or read as you want to read it. Bottom line, I posed as a question "?" and made some points on one side. Never turned it into an argument. But here again we are as are most posters with you arguing.

By the way can you still for the rest of us just cuz, connect the dots on "Offshoring" and layoffs at high school level sports writers here in So Cal... --:--

SK80

Postby SK80 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:24 pm

Sorry for the trivial posts undermining the good conversation here... back on point.... classy for Coach Mazzotta to give a shout out to J Khamis and all of those whom come on campus to cover HS Sport..... =D>

Mazz.png
Mazz.png (35.43 KiB) Viewed 739 times

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:58 pm

More on this from the Times. Sounds like the standard vulture capitalist strategy - buy something, slash and burn, slash and burn some more, sell it off in pieces and mourn for the product and the workers all the way to the bank.

The schedule is Sports this month, News next month and Design in March. Layoffs are expected to be about a quarter of their editorial staff. All of Digital First's papers are feeling it, including the Denver Post and the San Jose Mercury News, two of the country's oldest and most respected papers.

"At its peak size in the 1990s, the Mercury News had a newsroom staff of 440, according to the Pacific Media Workers Guild, which represents staff at the Mercury News, East Bay Times, San Francisco Chronicle and other Northern California newspapers. The Mercury's newsroom currently has a staff of 39 represented by the Guild, with some additional non-union staff."

"We're run by a hedge fund; their business is making money," said Lisa Krieger, a reporter for the Mercury News who is also on the contract bargaining committee for the Pacific Media Workers Guild. "They have a short-term investment perspective. Our mission, as reporters and editors, is long-term — providing the same high-quality coverage that our readers have depended on since 1851, and which is essential to a well-functioning and informed democracy.

"Yes, our revenue is down substantially, as is newspaper revenue nationally. But our editors are leading efforts to reinvent ourselves, to push hard into new ways of doing business to create an essential product," Krieger said. "This requires an investment in staff, not cuts."

http://www.latimes.com/business/technol ... story.html

Anybody wanna buy a newspaper?

SK80

Postby SK80 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:31 am

The "staff" at the LA Times just voted to unionize.... maybe temp protection from reality but that is the death kneel. Print is no longer what it was across all media. It is now about branding. Problem for the newspaper and news brands is that they have done their readers and in turn themselves harm by being so biased, dishonest and self serving. About 80% of what I read today appears to be "opinion" not news nor reporting. That art of just reporting and letting people or the reader decide has been lost. If it is opinion you want, the internet is strife with it. It's like imagery, everyone is a photographer!

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:18 am

I agree, SK80. I've been a subscriber to the L.A. Times since I was 18. I accept it as a liberal mouthpiece, and with that filter in mind, I've always found it to be pretty fair and objective in its reporting. I even found that I could keep my sanity by simply avoiding the editorial and op-ed pages.

All that changed a year ago. Their "reporting" has become more and more biased. Their anti-Trump pieces on the front page are often poorly disguised editorial attacks. They run a bleeding-heart story about one illegal alien family or another on the front page at least three or four times a week. And last week, they lost all decorum by using the word "**** hole" in front page articles for four days in a row - once even in a headline.

I'm sad to say, a once great newspaper has become just another piece of crap.

Doody thang

Postby Doody thang » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:28 am

SK80 wrote:Anyone think there is a correlation here to the new world of destination uber power high school recruited teams? They will get more attention and coverage that can be covered by the NCAA and Pro writers as those uber schools become somewhat more professional in nature. The rest of it all, publics, lower division becomes even more irrelevant. Not much need to cover and less of an audience. --:--

Yes, they are sealing their own doom by feeding the hype......

Return to “High School”