It's just cool...

Playthegame

It's just cool...

Postby Playthegame » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:05 pm

The dust has settled and like it or not their is a new paradigm in HS Football and if you believe in evolution it is survival of the fittest.

To those who have ears to hear:

https://vimeo.com/234638077

Elite Dudes came together and from the get go, realized it was special and respected each other and played as a team.

This is and has always been what I thought was cool and I admired in Mater Dei.

MV and MD fans...like others in the Trinity hold nothing back...but man I love this program, I know we have all been butt hurt over getting our asses handed to us as fans! Like we have anything to do with it...but we love our programs and all involved from the fans we see every season to coaches and always changing cast of players.

Over the shock, I now look forward to next year...how will the HS Football world respond...MD Is the Sheriff...and will no doubt be enforcing the law...Whose got your back?

Professor Fate

Re: It's just cool...

Postby Professor Fate » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:35 am

Wow! A Catholic High School. =; ](*,)
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:35 am

Cause no one here ever uses those words...surely! Wait I know, Whose...got...my...mother fornicating back...

But on that subject where do we draw the line...it is a physical game, one tends to harness emotion, it is a war like exercise... at that level especially...

Not going to be too down on the program for that but I can also appreciate a demonstration of unity with out profanity but the point was the unity and the intensity...shock and awe if you saw it up close...

I admit I am a bit coarse at times...Badd Ass it is IMO...minus the profanity of course...

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:54 am

I think you may be a bit overly sanctimonious there, Professor. I don't think I've been around a high school football team in 15 or 20 years that didn't use profanity - including yours.

jb914

Postby jb914 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:18 am

I think you may be a bit overly sanctimonious there, Professor. I don't think I've been around a high school football team in 15 or 20 years that didn't use profanity - including yours.

I'll see your 20 years and raise you 15 more. ;-)

BuckW

Postby BuckW » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:00 pm

The Diocese of Orange has a strict policy against the use of obscene, profane, lewd and vulgar language by their coaches and athletes when representing one of their schools. The athletes will continue to use such vulgar language as along as the adults make no attempt to correct the problem. I guess it's OK at Mater Dei. We don't want to offend any of the junior and senior transfers for fear of them transferring out. I'm just surprised there were no N words included because at Mater Dei games those words are thrown out after just about every play.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:10 pm

Like at Servite/MD basketball games? Or maybe the SM FB player(s)?

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:13 pm

MDDad wrote:Source of the post I think you may be a bit overly sanctimonious there, Professor. I don't think I've been around a high school football team in 15 or 20 years that didn't use profanity - including yours.

What else could you say? I guess it's okay then.

Seriously, all your answers about Mater Dei's behavior (be it players or coaching staff) are basically "So, everybody is doing it."

Why is that?
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

Daforno

Postby Daforno » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:37 pm

First ir was MD recruits, then they cheat, then they take Senior transfers,

Now they CURSE!!! ( Hide the woman and children ) the sky is falling!!!

I thought the venom for MD was bad before, but to point out that boys full of testosterone actually curse before a football game, "OH DEAR"!!!!!

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:21 pm

Professor Fate wrote:Seriously, all your answers about Mater Dei's behavior (be it players or coaching staff) are basically "So, everybody is doing it." Why is that?

Because it's true. You probably can't hear the language living a thousand miles away, and maybe you need a video to drive it home, but almost every high school team uses language that would curl your hair.

It's too bad I don't have the audio from the infamous Servite vs. Victor Blackwell game.

pattywannamack

Postby pattywannamack » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:30 pm

Daforno wrote:First ir was MD recruits, then they cheat, then they take Senior transfers,

Now they CURSE!!! ( Hide the woman and children ) the sky is falling!!!

I thought the venom for MD was bad before, but to point out that boys full of testosterone actually curse before a football game, "OH DEAR"!!!!!

Eh...an organized chant/cheer which includes swear words is pretty not okay for a Catholic sports team. It's okay for it to come out on an individual level...kids are kids and they're going to do that. Not okay for it to come out in an organized fashion like that.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.

Bick

Postby Bick » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:32 pm

NOOOOO! Not here...puhlease! Leave the PC stuff over in the political forum for the hand-wringers over there. This is our sanctuary...where we TALK like a man, and WALK like a man...and SPIT like a man.

pattywannamack

Postby pattywannamack » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:35 pm

cruiser wrote:Like at Servite/MD basketball games? Or maybe the SM FB player(s)?

Which Servite very publicly corrected by apologizing for its student body, holding an all school meeting to address the behavior, and disbanding that organization to prevent it from happening again...
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.

BuckW

Postby BuckW » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:39 pm

Yes there was a SM player a couple of years ago that dropped the N word during the MD game. That player was dealt with and was hating life with the number of gassers he was forced to run. During that same game several players on the MD squad were using the same ignorant language. Yeah I know it's OK for black players to use that type disgusting language on the field.

I guess at MD it is easier for the coaches to just ignore the problem and allow the culture to fall to gutter level than trying to hold their players to the standards established by the Diocese of Orange.

Greenwave

Postby Greenwave » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:49 pm

"Standards of the Diocese" is laughable.

I guess the priests were allowed to take advantage of boys for decades as long as they didnt curse, probably a strict standard of the diocese

NotDonaldBren

Postby NotDonaldBren » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:01 pm

BuckW wrote:Source of the post The athletes will continue to use such vulgar language as along as the adults make no attempt to correct the problem. I guess it's OK at Mater Dei. We don't want to offend any of the junior and senior transfers for fear of them transferring out. I'm just surprised there were no N words included because at Mater Dei games those words are thrown out

Stop REACHING. This can be said about EVERY Trinity league school and every Catholic school in America. Catholic schools are often worse than the public schools with vulgarity, drinking at school events, parent/administrator/clergy behavior, etc. Also, quote the policy and post it. All of us would like to see that alleged language.
Last edited by NotDonaldBren on Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NotDonaldBren

Postby NotDonaldBren » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:06 pm

pattywannamack wrote:Source of the post Which Servite very publicly corrected by apologizing for its student body, holding an all school meeting to address the behavior, and disbanding that organization to prevent it from happening again...

The "organization" was their entire student section, which simply renamed itself "The Asylum" (appropriate on many levels) and carried on. Lets not pretend like making monkey sounds at black athletes, calling them slurs, and CHANTING at multi-racial players "which one are you?" and "where is daddy?" are things that were "corrected" by an apology, a school assembly, or changing the name of the student section.

The kids who did that were raised rotten by rotten human beings, the only correction would have been to expel them immediately. We'd have to hope their eventual departure as Men of Servite changed the tenor of the underbelly at Servite, but based on some of the continuing behavior in that student section and student body, that's questionable.

NotDonaldBren

Postby NotDonaldBren » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:22 pm

BuckW wrote:Source of the post Yes there was a SM player a couple of years ago that dropped the N word during the MD game. That player was dealt with and was hating life with the number of gassers he was forced to run.

That player on Santa Margarita (linebacker #32) was directly yelling the same racial slur at MD offensive players after every touchdown his defense surrendered in a 40 point loss in 2016. But yeah, I'm sure some good ol' conditioning work had him realizing the error of his ways!! Shoot, good point, hadn't thought of that! And I'd like to know who on MD was using THAT language (violent racial slurs) in that game? Or any racial slur? Particularly, who was demeaning peers because of their race, using a slur to vent frustrations of losing a football game? If that isn't evidence of a deeper issue and personal emotional weakness, I'm not sure what is.

After the game, several people in the Trinity League community (not just from MD) said it was a regular issue with SM players since the early Hartigan era (since the freaking 90s), and that they were not surprised. But "yeah, its ok, because of, like, other people say it and stuff, and so that makes it less bad and stuff." Huh. OK.

Maybe that's the way they teach their kids to deal with adversity in that program, but I'd hope not. Especially since I wouldn't want to shame great SM kids who respect people of all races and cultures like KJ Costello and Grant Calcaterra by associating them with that misguided young man and his family. A lot of good people in that community. But some REAL rotten eggs, which could be said about every school.
Last edited by NotDonaldBren on Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:30 pm

MDDad wrote:Source of the post Because it's true. You probably can't hear the language living a thousand miles away, and maybe you need a video to drive it home, but almost every high school team uses language that would curl your hair.

See, there you've done it again. Couldn't your answer at least include an opening sentiment such as "Yes, that kind of language has no place in a Catholic school team, but..."

and then you can launch into your,"every team does it" routine?

pattywannamack

Postby pattywannamack » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:41 pm

NotDonaldBren wrote:Source of the post The "organization" was their entire student section, which simply renamed itself "The Asylum" (appropriate on many levels) and carried on. Lets not pretend like making monkey sounds at black athletes, calling them slurs, and CHANTING at multi-racial players "which one are you?" and "where is daddy?" are things that were "corrected" by an apology, a school assembly, or changing the name of the student section.

The kids who did that were raised rotten by rotten human beings, the only correction would have been to expel them immediately. We'd have to hope their eventual departure as Men of Servite changed the tenor of the underbelly at Servite, but based on some of the continuing behavior in that student section and student body, that's questionable.

Yes I am well aware. The player who they made those chants towards was in my English class.

The school did shut the formalized student section down for a few years...and yes it's back but if I also recall they have to get their cheers approved by the administration first. I don't go to Servite games anymore...but I can't imagine they're doing anything severely offensive anymore.

I think Servite addressed the situation about as properly as they could. A decent amount of kids were making those chants...when you have that many people doing the wrong thing it isn't a problem on an individual level it's an institutional problem. I think they tried to their best to address it as an institution, which is a lot more than Mater Dei in this situation.

Return to “High School”