Pascal's Wager

Scott

Pascal's Wager

Postby Scott » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:03 am

"Belief is a wise wager. Granted that faith cannot be proved, what harm will come to you if you gamble on its truth and it proves false? If you gain, you gain all; if you lose, you lose nothing. Wager, then, without hesitation, that He exists."

Fordama

Re: Pascal's Wager

Postby Fordama » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:07 pm

Those fellows who flew airplanes into the World Trade Center bet on the truth of faith.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:58 am

In just the opposite. If there is no God I've lost nothing. If there is a God and that God is vengeful or vindictive because I didn't worship enough them I didn't want to be part of that group anyway.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Scott

Postby Scott » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:25 pm

Fordama wrote:Source of the post Those fellows who flew airplanes into the World Trade Center bet on the truth of faith.

Those fellows were of the Muslim faith. Pascal's Wager is based on the idea of the Christian God. It is a good study for the agnostic or atheist who are risking eternal damnation of their immortal souls.

Scott

Postby Scott » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:36 pm

Wabash wrote:Source of the post In just the opposite. If there is no God I've lost nothing. If there is a God and that God is vengeful or vindictive because I didn't worship enough them I didn't want to be part of that group anyway.

God is a righteous God and must punish sin, if, upon death, you did not believe in His Son's sacrificial blood atonement. God does not desire to punish people.

Lamentations 3:31-30. For no one is cast off by the Lord forever. Though he brings grief, he will show compassion, so great is his unfailing love. For he does not willingly bring affliction or grief to anyone.

God has proven His love for mankind through His Son, Jesus Christ.

John 3:16. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:59 pm

I'm okay with that. I'm not worried.

Judge not, lest ye be judged.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:53 pm

Scott wrote:Those fellows were of the Muslim faith.

And the idea that Pascal posited had been posited by others in other faiths, even before Pascal.

Besides, Pascal also believed that only a predestined number of people will be saved. So since the number is predestined, the wager means nothing.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Scott

Postby Scott » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:36 pm

Fordama wrote:Source of the post Besides, Pascal also believed that only a predestined number of people will be saved. So since the number is predestined, the wager means nothing.

And that predestined number is determined by one's faith in one's lifetime. So Pascal's Wager does apply to the non-believer.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:36 pm

Um, no. In fact it wouldn't apply. Pascal was part of a Catholic movement at the time that believed in predestination and that a set number of people would receive salvation. It was similar to Calvinism.

Scott

Postby Scott » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:06 pm

But, if one believes, they could be part of that predestined number. We have are whole lives to be children of God.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:50 pm

Our maybe they aren't one of the chosen.

Scott

Postby Scott » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:30 am

If they do not believe in their entire lifetimes, then indeed, they are not one of the chosen.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:57 am

So the wager is moot.

Thank you.

Scott

Postby Scott » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:31 am

God knows the future and chooses His children before they are born based on the faith they have in their lifetimes.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:33 pm

God knows the future? I find that hard to believe.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:23 am

Hmm, that would have saved him from having to wipeout the entire world's population with a vicious flood.

Scott

Postby Scott » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:16 pm

The flood occurred because our women were mating with fallen angels in bodily form and having children by them. Mankind's every thought had become evil except for Noah's family, whose DNA had not been contaminated.

Scott

Postby Scott » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:20 pm

Wabash wrote:Source of the post God knows the future? I find that hard to believe.

Jesus said to the Apostles –

John 16:13. However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak, and He will tell you things to come. He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and declare it to you. All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take of Mine and declare it to you.

God sees all things through the Spirit of truth. And the Spirit of truth is everywhere, including the future.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:03 pm

Scott wrote:The flood occurred because our women were mating with fallen angels in bodily form and having children by them.

But he knew that would happen.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:03 pm

Scott wrote:Source of the post God sees all things through the Spirit of truth. And the Spirit of truth is everywhere, including the future.

Given the course of human history and the pain God has allowed man to inflict on other men I find that hard to believe.

Return to “Religion and Spirituality”