Where's the Talent?

polyrules

Where's the Talent?

Postby polyrules » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:30 pm

Just want to get a feel for this. Just think of one school...the school you support. Support the most. And I ask you...is the talent there?

I ask, because in doing the math, I got, at this point, possibly three D1 football guys. Two are looking are Oregon. And, well...that is it. Barring any transfers like we got this past year. We used to get 10 or more routinely.

Basketball, our boys are playing St John Bosco on Saturday, and it is our shortest team in the last 50 years. LBP basketball wins with speed and hitting shots. Our tallest guy is 6'4. Hey, he dunks :)

Is the talent going somewhere else? I hear some of our guys chose St Anthony's and St. John Bosco. One of our guys left for Narbonne. Also, we had no JV team, and if things stay like they are, we might have the smallest varsity football team ever. Perhaps 45-50 guys.

The sole bright spot is girls waterpolo...where we lost CIF to Segerstrom, I believe.

How's your school doing? Any D1 guys?

TheFan

Re: Where's the Talent?

Postby TheFan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:55 am

I really think what has caught up to Poly is the same thing that has happen to the rest of the LBUSD. I can remember when all the LB teams has two or three D1 kids...when the district moved to a walk on coach model and clearly little financial support for athletics...the shear pressure from surrounding programs and today's nomadic approach/Club teams/social media etc......the entire city of LB/Lwd....has been impacted, Poly is the last domino. Heck Narbonne has better support for their football program from the district than any LB school, plus for a kid to make it D1 today, playing at a Top 10 program is not necessary given HUDL, camps, etc...

What kills me about the LB district is sports can be the motivation and binder to keep a lot of kids on graduation path and wanting more out of life but the district can not see it. I do fair amount of hiring folks and I will keep saying it, I gravitate toward young people that has played team sports for a long time. They make better team players, competitive and take to direct instruction better. So many well educated kids has zero team skills.

Daforno

Postby Daforno » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:43 am

That indifference by the LBUSD and LB POLY is what has contributed to the rise at Bosco.

Others say point out 1 kid that Bosco has raided from POLY!

The point is the kid NEVER ENTERS POLY!!! so NO ONE was raided they never attend POLY in the first place, why would any self respecting parent who wants his kid to play at the top level even choose POLY especially "if" Bosco offers tuition assistance?

You can't deny POLY"S slide and Bosco's surge are not related!

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:03 am

Unintended consequences, the Poly program used to be a Super Program and they were a Super team...

Sixth Man

Postby Sixth Man » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:31 am

It's happening all over. It's just accentuated at Poly because they were so high on the food chain. It seems like there are still a lot of skilled guys but linemen and linebackers are few and far between. If you go to South Orange County, Corona , Riverside, and San Bernardino there are still a fair amount of those kids because they have growth. There just aren't as many kids in North Orange County and Long Beach and not as many are playing football. After the privates take their cut, not much is left. At least that is what I'm seeing.

Bick

Postby Bick » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:09 am

Guessing you'll see more of those 2nd team Trinity OL / DL guys xfer out to get the opportunity to start at the next level down. Surprised there hasn't been more moving on to higher end public programs.

RoadRunner

Postby RoadRunner » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:55 pm

Little birdie told me Poly`s new HC is having issues passing his background investigation.... LBUSD just fired the LB Jordan coach for lying about something minor...
" Inter-National Scouting Director for Youth Football"

hit the lights

Postby hit the lights » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:21 am

stick a fork in Poly. That school is done for now. If they actually get a good coach, and staff, they could turn it around.
Where is " I just attract coach" ?? Asante? He was one of the only ones to beat Rollinson and MD. Seems like he vanished after the compton job.

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:31 am

Hard to justify the time commitment in SoCal when the pay is a nickel an hour...Jack Rabbits going extinct...

Only way this program returns to the Glory Daze is if a teacher, motivator, genius football mind, past alumni, with a doctorate in Sports Medicine and Nutrition dedicates his life to developing Boyz in the hood to Men of the Game...

The goal of leveling the field in the Moore league has been achieved...will this be the first year The Jack Rabbits are not the Moore league champs in recent or perhaps not so recent memory...

#Lakewood

RoadRunner

Postby RoadRunner » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:14 am

hit the lights wrote:stick a fork in Poly. That school is done for now. If they actually get a good coach, and staff, they could turn it around.
Where is " I just attract coach" ?? Asante? He was one of the only ones to beat Rollinson and MD. Seems like he vanished after the compton job.
He is out in the IE now and just bought a house in Corona..he is a sub for the Corona/Norco school district

hit the lights

Postby hit the lights » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:07 am

RR,
Thanks for the info. I know you are the main connect when it comes to the IE!
Wonder what job Asante could be eyeing?

sammy swordsman

Postby sammy swordsman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:56 am

RoadRunner wrote:He is out in the IE now and just bought a house in Corona..he is a sub for the Corona/Norco school district

Don't forget Asante was fired from St. Paul after he left a football player to walk home from Bishop Amat after the game.

hit the lights

Postby hit the lights » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:20 pm

Yeah, once Asante left the kid, and a good kid who was one of the top 4 year players in a dark neighborhood in La Puente, to find his own ride home , they ran him out. Honestly, the dude is shady and a hustler. Can't believe St. Paul hired the guy. Not a St. Paul type of guy! Those guys are at La Habra and Villa Park. Two Free public schools that offer a competitive environment and good education that at the end of the day, get kids to the next level. Maybe not super teams, but won't back down from any.

hit the lights

Postby hit the lights » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:15 am

San Clemente Brendan Costello, QB, had a great day at the Nike Opening in LA.
RATED AT 104.4, already running a faster 40 time than Darnold at 4.68., where Darnold was timed at his pro day, 4.8

Top rated RB.... At Gahr hs, Micah Bernard, 5'11 187 ran a 4.5 40, rated at 105.99

BuckW

Postby BuckW » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:37 am

Brendan Costello is an outstanding high school QB. He should have a great senior season. I wouldn't start comparing him to Darnold. Darnold is 6'-4", Costello is maybe 5'-10"

hit the lights

Postby hit the lights » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:33 pm

I'm comparing 40 times. He has a lot to prove to be on Sears, Darnold, level.
WIth that being said, who will start at SC this year? Fink, Sears, or Daniels?
Will Bru MCCoy take his talents to SC too?

Return to “High School”