Orange County Joins Federal Lawsuit against California

Professor Fate

Orange County Joins Federal Lawsuit against California

Postby Professor Fate » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:07 pm

This just breaking. The Orange County Board of Supervisors on Tuesday voted to move against the state's "sanctuary" laws, adding a powerful voice to a growing backlash in some conservative parts of California to the state's pro-immigration policies. The board voted 3-0 to join a federal lawsuit against California's sanctuary state laws.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html
Last edited by Professor Fate on Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

MDDad

Re: Orange County Joins Federal Lawsuit against California

Postby MDDad » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:24 pm

Thank God, it's about time.

If federal laws supercede state and local laws (per the Constitution), and if we have federal immigration laws, and if federal authorities ask that criminal illegal aliens be detained until those federal authorities can take action, how is a city's, county's or state's refusal to comply anything but open rebellion?

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:44 pm

Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:00 pm

And this is big! Authorities in Orange County, California, have started publishing the release dates for inmates from the county's jails to try to help federal agents locate immigrants subject to deportation.

The Orange County Sheriff's Department said Monday the information is available on its website.

The move comes after California passed a law limiting local police collaboration with deportation agents. That measure also put an end to a long-standing program in Orange County where deputies screened inmates to help federal authorities identify immigrants subject to deportation.

http://www.kolotv.com/content/news/Cali ... 99793.html

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:17 pm

Professor Fate wrote:Source of the post And this is big! Authorities in Orange County, California, have started publishing the release dates for inmates from the county's jails to try to help federal agents locate immigrants subject to deportation.

Ok, I'll bite. What's so damn big about that?
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:32 pm

The Sheriff is outwitting the state. The sanctuary law forbids local law enforcement sharing info on illegals with ICE. There's no law that says she can't share release dates of all inmates with the publc...And if ICE just happens to read it...Oh well! :thumbsup: :-P

broman

Postby broman » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:33 pm

MDDad wrote:Source of the post federal authorities ask that criminal illegal aliens be detained until those federal authorities can take action

Two relevant laws.

MARCH 4, 2014
Ruling Says Local Jails May Be Liable for Wrongful Immigration Detentions in Case of U.S. Citizen Held for Three Days

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

ACLU National, media@aclu.org
ACLU of Pennsylvania, 215-592-1513

PHILADELPHIA – The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit today ruled that states and localities are not required to imprison people based on "detainer" requests from the federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency, ICE, recognizing that states and localities may share liability when they participate in wrongful immigration detentions. The ruling in Galarza v. Szalczyk, et al., stems from Lehigh County Prison’s wrongful detention of Ernesto Galarza, a U.S. citizen, who despite posting bail and telling his jailers that he was born in New Jersey was held in jail for three days because of an ICE detainer that stated only that ICE was investigating his immigration status.

SB 54 the California Law Specifically, it bans state and local agencies, excluding the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, from enforcing "holds" on people in custody. It blocks the deputization of police as immigration agents and bars state and local law enforcement agencies from inquiring into an individual's immigration status.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... state-bill

broman

Postby broman » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:38 pm

Professor Fate wrote:Source of the post The Sheriff is outwitting the state. The sanctuary law forbids local law enforcement sharing info on illegals with ICE.

ICE is going to spend all its time trying to get warrants 3/4 of the folks in local drunk tank on Friday and Saturday night.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:51 pm

ImageThe list of cities considering sticking it to the state and cooperating with the feds on immigration enforcement matters is getting longer by the day. Less than two weeks after the small Orange County city of Los Alamitos voted to exempt itself from SB 54, a parade of local leaders from jurisdictions across California said they would sponsor similar resolutions — or at least consider doing so.

Costa Mesa Mayor Pro Tem Allan Mansoor would like to see his city become the next to opt out of California’s sanctuary state legislation.

"I'm open to bringing another resolution forward, but it would be just that — a resolution," he said, referencing a 2010 item he brought forth that ultimately declared Costa Mesa a “rule of law city.”

"Another option is clearly asking ICE to come over and for us to start cooperating with them, which, frankly, we should be doing," Mansoor added.

We've already mentioned how Huntington Beach, Fountain Valley, Buena Park and Fullerton are exploring the possibility of joining in this movement, along with counties and cities in Central and Northern California.

And now the High Desert city of Hesperia also began discussions on SB 54 last week.

During a closed session Tuesday, the Hesperia City Council voted 3-1 on the legislation-based item, that includes the city “joining” an amicus brief that is being filed in the case that involves the Department of Justice suing the state of California over recent immigration laws, city attorney Eric Dunn said.

https://www.californiacitynews.org/2018 ... e-law.html

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:06 pm

Professor Fate wrote:Source of the post The Sheriff is outwitting the state.

A person is "outwitting" an abstract concept. :eh?:

Again, how is this big?
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:18 pm

broman wrote:Source of the post The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit today ruled that states and localities are not required to imprison people based on "detainer" requests from the federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency, ICE, recognizing that states and localities may share liability when they participate in wrongful immigration detentions.

I'm completely confused about why ICE and local authorities continue to hold people beyond their sentences. It seems like a very clear violation of the 14th Amendment.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

broman

Postby broman » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:34 pm

They can't.. that is why some local authorities are telling ICE ahead of time to get the paperwork ready for potential immigration violations.

ICE warrants are issued for civil violations of immigration law, not criminal charges. They are also sometimes called “administrative warrants.”
An ICE warrant directs various federal immigration enforcement agents to arrest the person named in the warrant.
Both an ICE detainer and an ICE warrant are issued based on alleged civil immigration violations and do not provide probable cause of a crime. Neither document meets Fourth Amendment requirements for arrest or provides authority for local law enforcement to arrest or detain someone

https://www.ilrc.org/sites/default/file ... ummary.pdf

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:32 pm

Vilepagan wrote:Source of the post Again, how is this big?

Whether you think it's big or not is irrelevant. California's AG thinks it is, and has hinted he might consider arresting the OC Sheriff. The Sheriff said "I wouldn't advise it."

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:48 pm

Only in Orange County...I thought those days were behind us :oops:
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:25 am

Professor Fate wrote:Source of the post Whether you think it's big or not is irrelevant.

I didn't say it was big, you did. Since then I've been trying to figure out why and it doesn't seem like you really have a clue as to why you said that. I'll just assume you were a bit overexcited.

Tommy Tar

Postby Tommy Tar » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:47 am

I never understood why the democrats opposed the deportation of convicted illegal aliens. Some have a long history of violent crimes like Pedro Espinoza who killed Jamiel Shaw in 2008. What positive qualities was Pedro Espinoza going to give back that the democrats wanted to keep him in the US?

IMO if the democrats would have just agreed to the deportation of convicted violent felons this would not be a huge issue today.
‘I Haven’t Seen Democrats This Mad Since We Freed the Slaves!’..... Rob Schneider.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:12 am

I'm curious how the Sheriff is going to determine inmates' immigration status, since a birth certificate isn't required to be admitted to jail. Not having a green card on them when they're arrested is a separate immigration offense but it doesn't definitively say that the person is illegal. A "real good hunch" doesn't have a whole lot of legal merit.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:16 am

Tommy Tar wrote:Source of the post What positive qualities was Pedro Espinoza going to give back that the democrats wanted to keep him in the US?

Were "Democrats" harboring him? I was under the impression he'd snuck back in and hadn't been caught.

Tommy Tar

Postby Tommy Tar » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:34 am

No.

The killer Espinoza was just released from LA County jail after serving six months for an assaulting a police officer. ICE was never contacted about his release. The murdered of Jamiel Shaw happened the next day.
-----------------

Los Angeles police chief William Bratton said Espinoza had been released from jail March 1 after serving time for an assault case. Police also are seeking a second suspect in the Shaw case.

"It was spontaneous," Bratton said. "[Espinoza] was a gang member. He saw someone else he thought was from an opposing gang, and he immediately, almost intuitively, popped out of that car and shot that young boy twice.

"He assassinated him just on the belief the other individual may have been a gang member. That is what we are up against in this city, sociopaths like that who just got out of jail and within a day had a gun and in an instant took that young boy's life."

Police, acting on tips from the public, arrested Espinoza late Friday night, authorities said. He is being held without bail.
=snip=

Even after this the democrats fight to keep ICE out of the jails. --:--
‘I Haven’t Seen Democrats This Mad Since We Freed the Slaves!’..... Rob Schneider.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:54 am

So, Bratton released him, the Governor was a Republican, what part did Democrats play?

Return to “National”