Anti-State Sanctuary Movement

Professor Fate

Anti-State Sanctuary Movement

Postby Professor Fate » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:26 pm

The City of Escondido, after a three hour long public meeting, voted 4-1 to file a legal brief in favor of the federal lawsuit against California.

"I came to this country 45 years ago with me and my mother, OK?" one supporter of the vote said.

"Forty-five years ago, we were not offered sanctuary. We were not offered an easier, softer way, OK? We were told 'You have to be an American citizen and here's what you have to do. And we did it."

A woman outside the meeting in a Trump hat argued that the U.S. Constitution does not give a "rogue state" the right to make policies that affect the whole nation.

A vote will be held April 17 by the San Diego County Board of Supervisors to determine if the county will follow Escondido's action.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/04/05/e ... -reactions

Very good video included in the story.

Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Anti-State Sanctuary Movement spreads to San Diego County

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:38 pm

"Rogue state." I like that. Somebody's been hitting the Kool-Aid a little too hard. :koolaid:

Mexico's been saying about the same thing about Donald.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:25 pm

"A woman outside the meeting in a Trump hat..."

"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:07 pm

Welcome San Diego County to the fight. Today the County Commissioners voted 3-1 to join the Trump lawsuit against California, over the Sanctuary State Law.

On a related note, Governor Moonbeam is showing signs that he knows his sanctuary state law won't survive in its present form. He says in the video (:50-1:19) in the linked story that, "...no law is perfect. In some way these lawsuits will help to clarify it, so...I think it's pretty close to what it ought to be, but we'll see what the judges say, and if the cities want to come in, that's fine."

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/politi ... o-15410642
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:38 am

They all breed like flies, don'tcha know.

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:06 am

Shouldn't this thread be in the California forum?
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:17 am

It is. Now.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:38 am

Hee hee hee, boy oh boy oh boy. I guess it depends on what law you're flouting, huh? Memphis only took down some statues. Maybe "Governor Moonbeam" should do something similar.

Rep. Gerald McCormick, R-Chattanooga, and other Republicans defended the decision to withhold funding from the bicentennial celebrations, saying there had to be consequences for flouting the will of the state legislature.

"I think the city of Memphis, like any other city in the nation, needs to if not obey the law, at least obey the spirit of the law," he said.

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/18/60352589 ... ate-statue

Professor Fate

Beaumont Joins Anti-Sanctuary State Movement

Postby Professor Fate » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:14 pm

The city council of Beaumont voted 3-2 to oppose the Sanctuary State Law SB54. That makes Beaumont the first city in Riverside County to join the opposition.

Hesperia and Barstow did the same in San Bernardino County. The movement is accelerating.

The city councils of Loma Linda, Redlands and Yucaipa may be considering anti-SB 54 resolutions of their own soon.

Omar Bongo

Re: Beaumont Joins Anti-Sanctuary State Movement

Postby Omar Bongo » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:33 pm

Sheesh, you don't have to start a new friggin' thread every time you see a headline that sends a shiver up your leg...isn't there already a thread about this?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:47 pm

Different County. The other threads are San Diego and Orange County. I wouldn't want you to have trouble keeping up. :mrgreen:

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:49 pm

I'm sure that fact will make this thread a veritable wellspring of discussion ... :roll:
George Will

Donald Trump

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:02 pm

Okay...because I love you so much, I'll include Northern California cities too.

Would you like to hear about Ripon, Ca. Yes? Okay,

It's in San Joaquin County. It has a problem with Sanctuary State Law SB54 too.

Ripon Mayor Mike Restuccia is concerned over the law, which he says forces any elected official to violate the oath of office.

“We consequently have illegal people in the country that are felons that are being released in our community that we cannot hold and I thought that was wrong. My job is to make sure our citizens are protected,” he said.

This week, the Ripon City Council voted on a resolution opposing the law. The city now supports U.S. Department of Justice lawsuit filed last month against the state of California.

“The United States Constitution says that immigration is, in fact, a federal law, and it has a supremacy clause that overrides the state constitution so what they have done is that have put me and everybody else that takes the oath of office in a very precarious position,” he said.

Ripon’s resolution gives local law enforcement the OK to cooperate with Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents. It’s a vote, city leaders say is supported by many in this mostly conservative community.

“This issue for us is, you have a known criminal who is already in custody and the federal government wants to do what the federal law says they can and should do, if that is followed this whole thing of going out into the community doesn’t happen,” said Leo Zuber, Vice Mayor, City of Ripon.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018/04/ ... tion-laws/

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:50 pm

Mayor Mike wrote:Source of the post “We consequently have illegal people in the country that are felons that are being released in our community that we cannot hold and I thought that was wrong."

Yes. It is wrong.

“The United States Constitution says that immigration is, in fact, a federal law,..."

That's wrong, too.

Did they advertise for mayor on Craigslist or what? ROFL

Vilepagan

Re: Anti-State Sanctuary Movement

Postby Vilepagan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:30 am

Omar Bongo wrote:Source of the post Sheesh, you don't have to start a new friggin' thread every time you see a headline that sends a shiver up your leg...isn't there already a thread about this?

Yes there is...threads merged.

Also edited the thread title to reflect the merge.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:46 am

Damn! I was waiting for "Amboy joins anti-sanctuary movement."

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:16 am

As far as I can tell, there are about 480 cities and towns in California. As soon as 240 of them vote to reject sanctuary status, it'll get my attention. Until then, it's kind of a shrug.

Professor, you have a lot more media watching ahead of you.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:19 am

Hmm, why is it always when a Democrat is president the pro-illegal immigration movement say
immigration is a federal matter only but when a Republican is president they say immigration
is a state's rights matter - seems you can't have it both ways, no?

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:27 am

Not only that, but it’s interesting to study the change in party philosophies and policies over time. I read a paper a couple months ago by an expert on American labor unions and their impact on national and state politics.

Prior to 2005, the position of many Democratic candidates and office holders was very different from what it is today. If you reread some of Bill Clinton’s campaign speeches when he was running for president, as well as those of his wife supporting him, he was strongly anti-illegal alien, and pushed for stricter immigration policies and more air-tight border security. Many other Democratic candidates echoed the same sentiments. Then in 2005, the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) and the United Food and Commercial Workers International Union (UFCW) split from the AFL-CIO and became their own standalone entities that contributed heavily to Democratic candidates and causes. Those two unions comprised a large minority membership and included significant illegal aliens. Almost immediately, the Democratic Party position and that of its candidates pivoted 180 degrees to be much more accepting and lenient towards illegal aliens, if not advocating for outright amnesty, and vilifying those who proposed stricter immigration control. Maybe the timing is just a coincidence.

American politics becomes much more transparent and easy to understand if you just follow the money trail.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:14 am

My God, Democrats have turned into Reagan Republicans!

You seem to be confusing border security with dealing with the ones who are already here. Obama passed DACA but he also increased border enforcement. I think most Democrats, along with the unions and the big city police chiefs, are in favor of a pragmatic approach to immigration - which Republicans refuse to consider. I don't know of anybody who supports wide open borders except maybe farmers. But what they'd really like is a policy that recognizes the need for immigrant labor and allows for them to work here legally.

Return to “California”