Mater Dei & SJB in 7v7 Tournament this Saturday (5/12/18)

BigBosco

Mater Dei & SJB in 7v7 Tournament this Saturday (5/12/18)

Postby BigBosco » Tue May 08, 2018 10:18 am

The 3rd annual Orlando Scandrick Elite 7v7 tournament at Los Al this Saturday features teams such as:
* Mater Dei
* SJB
* Serra
* Alemany
* Westlake
* Los Al
* Narbonne
* Calabasas

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-high-school-sports-updates-mater-dei-st-john-bosco-in-orlando-1525578308-htmlstory.html

NotDonaldBren

Re: Mater Dei & SJB in 7v7 Tournament this Saturday (5/12/18)

Postby NotDonaldBren » Tue May 08, 2018 7:14 pm

Is Mission banned from this tournament too? Even without Coach BJ?

hit the lights

Postby hit the lights » Sun May 13, 2018 6:37 am

St. John Bosco wins 7 on 7 tourney at Los Alamitos.
It was a SJB VS SERRA of Gardena final. DJ , QB of SJB was the MVP and looked and played every bit like one.
Bosco is the team to beat for sure. The QB from Serra, Bromfield, a tall lanky kid , left handed, stong arm. Serra had tons of talented kids too, but i know some kids were missing as alot were , due to track prelims. MD was impressive as always, but not the same as last years team. La Habra was 4-0 before taking a 1 point loss to Serra. Downey made a good showing, and Calabasas who was missing their top two receivers looked explosive, and their QB can move and has a nice arm. Narbonne and Jake Garcia looked real good too, big and physical. Westlake had some monster kids but couldnt handle the heat. That was a nice warm up before the Edison Tourney, where alot of stars will be showcasing their summertime talents.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Sun May 13, 2018 2:30 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that some of these teams were missing some of their 2 sport guys, due to CIF track and field prelims.
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

BoscoBrave

Postby BoscoBrave » Sun May 13, 2018 2:59 pm

Like Bosco who had four starters at receiver and DB run the fastest 4x1 at the D3 prelims.

NotDonaldBren

Postby NotDonaldBren » Sun May 13, 2018 8:46 pm

hit the lights ... my guy ... HIT THE BRAKES!!

"Team to beat for sure" ???? This is where we gotta throw in the obligatory "ITS SEVEN ON SEVEN!" This was pre-MOTHERS Day, not LABOR day. Lets wait until each team reveals their BIG POUNDERS, shaking the earth on their way to the huddle; then we can start to anoint true favorites.

Not only that, but its the FIRST 7On of the off-season with actual HS teams. Most of these teams have only been practicing with each other AS A TEAM for a few weeks, if that. And that matters, considering pretty much every contender is breaking in several transfers, and even some non-contenders.

For this tournament, many of these teams were missing at least one major player. I believe Mission Viejo, JSerra and OLu (3 major D1 contenders) didnt even play! And I'd probably hold off on burying the post-JT Monarchs until Bru McCoy is actually on the field. As in, probably the best player in the United States. 5-star Chris Steele and DJ Uiagaholdback still having nightmares about #5 in red.

NotDonaldBren

Postby NotDonaldBren » Sun May 13, 2018 8:51 pm

BoscoBrave wrote:Source of the post the fastest 4x1 at the D3 prelims.

Honestly: Why is Bosco track in D3? Is there some historical bias by the CIF against the track program there?

Its not like they don't attract top track athletes to Bellflower Blvd., at the very least through football. Going back to Shay Fields and Co., Bosco has been able to bring in a transfer or two per spring, in time for track, that helped create a monster CIF D1 caliber team for 4x1. Or even just guys for the indiv. sprints that could make them D1. What gives?

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sun May 13, 2018 9:32 pm

Mater Dei was missing Jeremiah Criddell, Bru McCoy, Kody Epps, Bryson Washington and Cameron Gardner for this tournament. Other teams were also missing key starters among their skill players, so it's difficult to draw any conclusions from the results, let alone determining who's "the team to beat for sure."

NotBren, divisional placements for CIF track are based on enrollment. That's why Bosco is D-3 and Mater Dei is D-2.

hit the lights

Postby hit the lights » Mon May 14, 2018 5:54 am

Yeah guys i get it. It is only 7 on 7, we all know this isnt real football, NO LINEMAN, NO PASS RUSH, the amount of holding going on, will never happen in a real game. Getting rid of the ball in 4 seconds, not a good thing. But if i had to pick a QB or skill guys that came to play this past weekend, i would roll with DJ and the Braves of SJB. The QB at MD is good and has many top offers, but wow, he is small, and not very thick. DJ stood out in D-1 last year vs some of the best defenses in the country and did good. He still looks good, even better. Big, strong, rocket arm, good decisions.
The kid from Serra looked nice too. But yes, this is not real football and alot of pieces were missing from every team.
I just wonder how many of these tourneys are needed before the REAL SEASON STARTS?? EDISON, everyone should be there, no excuses and lets see if Bosco can continue the streak like MD did last year.

SK80

Postby SK80 » Mon May 14, 2018 5:55 am

"...based on enrollment..." \:D/

Bick

Postby Bick » Mon May 14, 2018 6:21 am

I'm with you on this HTL. Clearly you weren't handing over the 2018 state trophy w/ your comments. You've been around too long for that.

All caveats aside, SJB was the best team out there on Sat, w/Serra and MD right there in the mix a notch below. Unlike last year's tourney, the separation wasn't nearly as wide as MD was v. the field in 2017. I came away from LY event thinking there wasn't anyone going to stop them.

The most entertaining matchup was Serra v. MD in the semis. Who is that TE for MD? What a beast!

I thought Serra's wideouts were the best group out there.

Nice event - good to see Scandrick and Josh Norman engaging with the kids and the fans.

NotDonaldBren

Postby NotDonaldBren » Wed May 16, 2018 11:14 pm

I'm hearing a lot of chatter about "the QB at Mater Dei (Bryce Young) is good but he's small."

That's funny, since he's essentially identical in size to Caden Bell of Servite/JSerra, Brendan Costello of SM/MV/San Clemente, and Re-al Mitchell of Bosco. And BIGGER than TJ McMahon of Servite and MUCH bigger than Josiah Norwood of Troy/SM.

And Bryce has 10 times the ability of any of those kids. And is the only one of those names offered scholarships by the likes of Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, USC, Georgia, Texas, Washington, Oregon, Tennessee and others -- by the end of his 10th grade year.

Nick Saban and Urban Meyer think he's big enough to play CFB at the highest level, but he might struggle due to frailty in the Trinity League?? Cmon now, lets stow the 1970s era "he's too small for QB" comments until we see the kid struggle for the first time in his life due to size.
Last edited by NotDonaldBren on Wed May 16, 2018 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Wed May 16, 2018 11:17 pm

It's only May, people gotta talk about something...when the season is underway I don't think anyone will be talking about his size
"Character matters to the presidency and Donald Trump will bring the highest level of integrity to the highest office in the land. You can count on it.”
Mike Pence

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

NotDonaldBren

Postby NotDonaldBren » Wed May 16, 2018 11:18 pm

And if we compare Bryce (or anyone) to my guy DJ Uiagaholdback, of course he's small. Every HS QB in America is small compared to DJ. And Russell Wilson is small in comparison to Ben Roethlisberger. Earth is small compared to the Universe.

DJ is big and very strong, genetically blessed. And it takes about two throws to see he has an extremely accurate arm with a lot of polish, having been around football with his Dad and uncles his entire life. But he could actually stand to lose 5-10 pounds of unnecessary weight at this stage of life (17 yr 1 mo, 10th grade). Bryce's arm is just as accurate and plenty strong -- watch the tape of the throws he also fits into windows that you just don't see from most HS QBs.

Now its fair to question whether Bryce will continue to have such success at the top level of HS football in the country. But I don't see a reason to believe he won't, especially with all the skill and line talent he's surrounded by.

Bottom line, it will be fun to watch these two go at it for the next two years in the Trinity League -- like Bird and Magic, Manning and Brady, Ali and Frazier. Well,, maybe more like Foreman and Mayweather.

Two years, that is, if DJ doesn't reclassify and enter the baseball draft next summer, or head off to USC ala Jonathan Daniels.

NotDonaldBren

Postby NotDonaldBren » Wed May 16, 2018 11:22 pm

... when the season is underway I don't think anyone will be talking about his size

Indeed. More likely will be talking about the size of the Polynesian Battle Platoon protecting him.

Daforno

Postby Daforno » Thu May 17, 2018 8:02 am

The big kid from Bosco should either choose baseball or stay at Bosco for his remaining 2 years, because if he chooses to leave early to go to USC he will "SIT" behind JT without a doubt

The Bosco kid is outstanding, but not in JT'S league!

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Thu May 17, 2018 8:06 am

Daforno wrote:The Bosco kid is outstanding, but not in JT'S league!

It may also become evident that Jack Sears and Matt Fink aren't either.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu May 17, 2018 5:44 pm

Daforno wrote:Source of the post he will "SIT" behind JT without a doubt

That's assuming JT doesn't leave early himself

Return to “High School”