Will There be Mass suicides Today?

Professor Fate

Will There be Mass suicides Today?

Postby Professor Fate » Wed May 16, 2018 2:29 pm

Somebody keep an eye on Wabash. Keep him away from tall buildings. Rudy Giuliani says that Special counsel Robert Mueller's team has informed President Donald Trump's attorneys, that they have concluded that they cannot indict a sitting president.

"All they get to do is write a report," Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani told CNN. "They can't indict. At least they acknowledged that to us after some battling, they acknowledged that to us."
That conclusion is likely based on longstanding Justice Department guidelines. It is not about any assessment of the evidence Mueller's team has compiled.

A lack of an indictment would not necessarily mean the President is in the clear. Mueller could issue a report making referrals or recommendations to the House of Representatives.
The inability to indict a sitting president has been the position of the Office of Legal Counsel in the Justice Department since the Nixon administration and reaffirmed in the Clinton administration, but it has never been tested in court.

It had been an open question whether, if investigators found potentially criminal evidence against Trump, Mueller's team would try to challenge those Justice Department guidelines.
CNN reached out to Mueller's team. They declined to comment.
Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein publicly discussed the issue earlier this month at an event held by the Freedom Forum Institute. He was asked if a sitting president can be indicted.
"I'm not going to answer this in the context of any current matters, so you shouldn't draw any inference about it," Rosenstein said. "But the Department of Justice has in the past, when the issue arose, has opined that a sitting President cannot be indicted. There's been a lot of speculation in the media about this, I just don't have anything more to say about it." Rosenstein oversees the special counsel probe.
Giuliani tells CNN the special counsel's team has decided that "they have to follow the Justice Department rules."
"The Justice Department memos going back to before Nixon say that you cannot indict a sitting president, you have to impeach him.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/16/politics ... index.html

Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

Wabash

Re: Will There be Mass suicides Today?

Postby Wabash » Wed May 16, 2018 2:34 pm

I've known that all along. All he can do is recommend impeachment to the House Judiciary Committee. Detailing which crimes rise to the level of high crimes and misdemeanors.

That's pretty basic Civics.

I do enjoy what you believe everyone else is thinking.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Wed May 16, 2018 2:39 pm

Just playing with you, Wabash. :-P

You think what they'll find will meet the "high crimes and misdemeanors" threshold?
Last edited by Professor Fate on Wed May 16, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Wed May 16, 2018 2:39 pm

Funny Prof, I thought we'd be reading about you in the obits today after the federal judge in the Manafort case ruled “The indictment falls squarely within that portion of the authority granted to the Special Counsel"
"Character matters to the presidency and Donald Trump will bring the highest level of integrity to the highest office in the land. You can count on it.”
Mike Pence

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Wed May 16, 2018 2:41 pm

Don't know that much about Manafort's case, except that even Republicans think he's sleazy.

This was the DC case. Judge Ellis in Virginia is the one who challenged Mueller to produce evidence that he has jurisdiction in the Virginia case.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Wed May 16, 2018 2:54 pm

Don't know that much about Manafort's case

That didn't stop you from starting a thread and speculating about it...I'll keep that in mind while reading next your next breathless declaration about the Mueller investigation
Last edited by Omar Bongo on Wed May 16, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Wed May 16, 2018 2:55 pm

Professor Fate wrote:You think what they'll find will meet the "high crimes and misdemeanors" threshold?

Yup.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Wed May 16, 2018 3:41 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:Source of the post That didn't stop you from starting a thread and speculating about it...I'll keep that in mind while reading next your next breathless declaration about the Mueller investigation

1. While I didn't know what the latest charges were, I commented on the venue and jurisdiction.
2. What makes you think I care what rattles around in your mind?

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Wed May 16, 2018 5:14 pm

Actually, you created a thread suggesting that the charges against Manafort would be dismissed, thus my concern for your well-being when the judged batted your Hail Mary down
"Character matters to the presidency and Donald Trump will bring the highest level of integrity to the highest office in the land. You can count on it.”
Mike Pence

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Wed May 16, 2018 6:55 pm

Professor Fate wrote:Source of the post Rudy Giuliani says that Special counsel Robert Mueller's team has informed President Donald Trump's attorneys, that they have concluded that they cannot indict a sitting president.

Let's talk about this as a hypothetical.

The notion that you can't indict a sitting president is just that...a notion. It's never been tested in court.

Under what Constitutional authority or statute would you claim such immunity for the president?

Does this contemplation or discussion of an indictment mean that Mueller has enough evidence to indict?
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Wed May 16, 2018 7:08 pm

You should ask
Omar Bongo wrote:Source of the post Actually, you created a thread suggesting that the charges against Manafort would be dismissed, thus my concern for your well-being when the judged batted your Hail Mary down

No, I suggested that that would be a best case scenario for Manafort, and might happen if they kept making the judge angry. A more likely scenario was that Judge Ellis would order the case tried in Virginia by federal prosecutors not affiliated with the Mueller probe.

The thread title was a tease.

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Thu May 17, 2018 3:02 am

Professor Fate wrote:Source of the post No, I suggested that that would be a best case scenario for Manafort, and might happen if they kept making the judge angry.

This is the second time you've suggested that the judges "anger' would determine Manafort's fate and I'm here to tell you that's not how the law works.

Care to take a shot at my hypotheticals?
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Return to “National”