Dairy farmers eager for Trump to take aim at Canada's policies.

Wabash

Re: Dairy farmers eager for Trump to take aim at Canada's policies.

Postby Wabash » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:17 am

John Q. Public wrote:The above post said so little I removed the link. I felt like removing the entire post.

My goal was to provide a source so that all parties could look for themselves what tariff rates were by country.

I thought it would be a healthy contribution to the discussion. What should I have said to make that point?

They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:08 pm

It was three numbers with no context, explanation or any other numbers to compare them to. It was a thinly-veiled troll and not much more.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Bick

Postby Bick » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:57 pm

I have a very rudimentary understanding of the concept. If Trump bashing can be stayed for a bit, I'd be interested to know what the thinking is about the pros and cons of tariffs in general. If China dumps cheap steel here, is the impact on US steel manufacturers likely to be similar to when Japan dumped semi-conductors back in the 80's before Reagan dropped a 100% tariff on them?

As a rule, it seems tariffs support inefficiency in the long run.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:33 pm

If it's reasoned debate your trying to illicit, labeling criticism of a stupid policy as "Trump bashing" isn't a good start.

Your question is vague. What do you think the impact of the Reagan tariff was?

This article may answer your questions. It begins by citing the superficial similarities of the Reagan and Trump tariff/trade policies. But after digging into the details, it goes on to conclude that "Although the rhetoric is familiar, there are fundamental differences that make Trump’s trade and tax cocktail far more dangerous than Reagan’s."

Wondering...would that make it "Trump bashing"?

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles ... -used-cars

Bick

Postby Bick » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:58 pm

OK - carry on Omar.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:11 am

Sorry, maybe someone else will bite on the 99¢ Store lure you dangled out there...

The gist of the differences:

1) Times have changed. American businesses are much more dependent on Chinese markets than they were in Reagan's day.

2) Semi-conductors are a high-tech commodity, unlike steel.

3) Reagan was a protectionist at times but he was basically a free-trader "with a grand vision for American global economic leadership" who "visualized a future common market for the U.S., Canada and Mexico" (!!!) and "initiated a fresh round of global trade negotiations before leaving office."

Bick

Postby Bick » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:11 am

Omar Bongo wrote:Source of the post Sorry, maybe someone else will bite on the 99¢ Store lure you dangled out there...

Absent of a direct response, I'll be sure to give it more thought next time I decide to engage here.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:34 am

It's not a directly simple situation.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:01 am

The case of the Canadian milk tariff actually is pretty simple and when you understand it, you understand that Donald's outrage over it is only another one of his WWE-style stunts. It's about price stability and that's all. There's no malice and no "unfairness" to American producers.

Say Canadian producers need to make 50 cents a gallon to be profitable. They buy enough cows to meet demand and keep the price around 50 cents. If they overproduce and the price goes to 40 cents, they have to find a use for the excess milk, lose money or dump it and maintain the 50-cent price. American farmers, for whatever reason - subsidies, lower interest rates or whatever drove their expansion - greatly overproduced and they're looking for a place to sell their 40 cent/gallon milk and try to salvage the year. Canadian farmers, naturally, don't want the price to go that low, so they put a tariff on it to maintain the price and they tell the Americans to look elsewhere. Donald's expecting Canadian farmers to take the hit for bad planning by American farmers and Canadian farmers are telling them to take off, eh. Simple.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:11 pm

In reference to what I posted earlier about how it's dishonest to single out one stat in the grand scheme of our trade with Canada, I came across these inconvenient FACTS:

1) The United States last year ran a $474 million trade surplus in dairy with Canada: It exported $636 million in dairy products to Canada and imported $162 million, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture

2) Dairy products are just 0.1% of U.S.- Canada trade which totaled $680 billion last year

3) About 99% of the trade between Canada and the U.S. is tariff-free according to Bruce Heyman, the former U.S. ambassador to Canada

4) Overall in 2017 the U.S. ran a nearly $3 billion surplus in goods and services trade with Canada

Regarding the thread title, shouldn't it be the other way around?
"Victimhood is the high-octane fuel of the Trump Era, it makes the Trumpmobile go"
Steve Schmidt

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Return to “The Economy”