Hello

Try the board out and experiment here
User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: Hello

Post by GOODave » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:07 am

John Q. Public wrote: Ah! That's the Hanna we all know and love!

Hanna, I'd like you to meet Rambo. Rambo, Hanna.
Mercy! Now there's an explosion just waiting for a fuse...

Intro CaliforniaDream when you get a chance, too: Hanna can take them both out for the same low price.

User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 19754
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Hello

Post by John Q. Public » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:17 am

GOODave wrote: Mercy! Now there's an explosion just waiting for a fuse...

Intro CaliforniaDream when you get a chance, too: Hanna can take them both out for the same low price.
And she will! :shock:

Kinda refreshing to be called a conservative again. I haven't heard that in a while. :wink:

User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: Hello

Post by GOODave » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:19 am

GOODave wrote: Mercy! Now there's an explosion just waiting for a fuse...

Intro CaliforniaDream when you get a chance, too: Hanna can take them both out for the same low price.
John Q. Public wrote:And she will! :shock:

Kinda refreshing to be called a conservative again. I haven't heard that in a while. :wink:
and with good reason, pinko crossover liberal.

OH WAIT ... can you say that to an administrator...

not4u13
Posts: 5481
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:00 pm

Re: Hello

Post by not4u13 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:36 am

GOODave wrote: Hanna's been around since John invented OC Connect. She was very active and apparently a very good arguer back when the El Toro extension to the OC Airport was a hot-button issue. She apparently spends a lot of time reading national media because she posts a lot of stuff (from a variety of sources).

Paul knows her, I think, because he was also very vocal about the plan to turn El Toro into an extension of SNA.

I read a lot of what Hanna posts, but I do not always respond to it.

BTW, this is you, isn't it B-Dad?

dave
'tis me ... yep.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

not4u13
Posts: 5481
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:00 pm

Re: Hello

Post by not4u13 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:41 am

Hanna wrote:JQP quote: "Lately, she seems to have enrolled in some sort of 12-step program to learn to tolerate conservatives. She didn't have much patience with them before. Matter of fact, for that reason and despite being a founder of the Chronicles, she holds the distinction of being the only non-spammer I ever banned. But that was a long time ago."

No, I have not seen many rabid conservatives posts here; or, perhaps, I do not spend much time on this board that appears to be tilting toward high school in general and high school sports in particular - two topics that bore me to death.

That you tried to ban me - and created a pathetic cadre of followers who just copied what i posted on the El Toro board, including attacks at them - just showed how biased you were, perhaps still are.

But then, of course, you no longer see posts describing the Democratic party as the "party of corruption." You don't see many Republicans still talking about "small government" or about "family values." Hello, Mark Foley, Larry Craig, Newt Gingrich, anyone?

On the other hand, perhaps this is a good time to finally say good bye. Since I am no longer the sole poster.
Perhaps if you included a commentary of your opinion and/or thoughts regarding the various articles you do post, there would be something to comment about. Otherwise, it just looks like a random set of copy/paste excersizes.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

Hanna
Posts: 2766
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:11 pm

Re: Hello

Post by Hanna » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:23 am

Quote from not4u13:

"Perhaps if you included a commentary of your opinion and/or thoughts regarding the various articles you do post, there would be something to comment about. Otherwise, it just looks like a random set of copy/paste excersizes."

In many intelligent circles, you put a topic on the table and let others discuss and express their opinions. Seeing that the interest of most here is high school sport (or the cheerleaders?) it is obvious that this is a mistaken assumption.

User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: Hello

Post by GOODave » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:36 am

not4u13 wrote:"Perhaps if you included a commentary of your opinion and/or thoughts regarding the various articles you do post, there would be something to comment about. Otherwise, it just looks like a random set of copy/paste excersizes."
Hanna wrote:In many intelligent circles, you put a topic on the table and let others discuss and express their opinions. Seeing that the interest of most here is high school sport (or the cheerleaders?) it is obvious that this is a mistaken assumption.
notwithstanding your implicit condescension here, Hanna, I make the assumption that you do nevertheless have an opinion about whatever article you post or you wouldn't have posted it.

Do you think you're just the messenger here? Both Paul and John have talked about you as a woman of considerable passion and even you have contributed to that understanding with what little I've actually seen you post (other than the cut-and-paste).

Those "intelligent" circles might have a different expectation than us more dumbed down folks here, but we expect those with an opinion will express it.

Of course, that's just MY opinion so it can also be disregarded or heeded at will.

dave

not4u13
Posts: 5481
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:00 pm

Re: Hello

Post by not4u13 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:40 am

Hanna wrote: In many intelligent circles, you put a topic on the table and let others discuss and express their opinions. Seeing that the interest of most here is high school sport (or the cheerleaders?) it is obvious that this is a mistaken assumption.
That is a bit shortsighted of you. You are posting articles you are obviously interested in for some unknown reason. Why not state your reason for posting. Otherwise, it is no better than reading the local newspaper. If I wanted to do that, I would not be using this particular forum as there are plenty of forums that allow you to comment and debate the merits of a particular article.

Unless I am mistaken, this is a discussion forum. When you post an article without personal commentary, there is nothing to discuss. Like GD, I believe you must have an opinion regarding the article you posted. Why don't you choose to share it? Why do you expect others to take the first step? You were the one who found the article interesting, what was interesting about it? In other words, contribute something other than copy/paste. You obviously have strong views. The casual visitor here or newbies like me have no idea where you are coming from.

As for the HS Sports forum. If you don't like it, don't read it. There is plenty of good discussion to be had without venturing into that area. But you know that already.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

User avatar
Foggy
Posts: 347
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:05 am

Re: Hello

Post by Foggy » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:20 am

Greetings from Raleigh, NC, y'all.

First impression, this board rocks. Glad to be here.
I ride tandem with the random.

User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 19754
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Hello

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:16 pm

Foggy wrote:Greetings from Raleigh, NC, y'all.

First impression, this board rocks. Glad to be here.
Thanks, Foggy. I'll take that as a supreme compliment!

User avatar
Foggy
Posts: 347
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:05 am

Re: Hello

Post by Foggy » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:49 pm

Quite welcome, JQP. 'Course, first impressions can be wrong! :mrgreen:

I'll be in and out on an irregular basis; I have a favorite forum here in NC, which we call TFF. But I'm a USC alum (vintage '84) and nobody on my forum enjoys yappin' about the Trojans, for some odd reason.

There's a bunch of folks who spend their precious time yappin' about NC State, UNC, and Duke ... poor fellers! NC would be just about perfect if'n it had a real football team lyin' around somewheres. :-"

I'll prob'ly spend most of my time on TFF, not because we discuss local issues (mostly we do national and international politics and current events), but because I've taken the time to meet 28 of the people on that forum in person, and made several good close friends. The chances of me ever meeting anyone from this forum are low (well, OK, ThomasDad lives in Charlotte, 3 hrs. west of here).

I understand this is a privately run forum, and so is TFF, so I'm comfortable with that. You'll have to get used to my, umm, unique sense of humor and the fact that I do things a little different from most other Forumlings. For one thing, I have an outstanding staff of expert researchers, fact-checkers, and associated other various insufferably lame fools:

Image

Here's the official organization chart:

Image

In closing, I would like to make a tiny request: I often like to center my images in a post, and I tried using BBCode to center those two images above, but it didn't work. Can you add
to the list of available BBCodes, por favor?


P.S. Have we forgiven Carroll yet for leaving Booty in the Stanford game with a broken finger, children?
I ride tandem with the random.

User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: Hello

Post by GOODave » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:20 pm

Foggy wrote:Greetings from Raleigh, NC, y'all.

First impression, this board rocks. Glad to be here.
Welcome, Glitterbelly.
=D>

What's in Raleigh NC?

User avatar
Foggy
Posts: 347
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:05 am

Re: Hello

Post by Foggy » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:19 pm

It's a great city. I left SoCal in late '02, and I love it here. California was so crowded, the beach so polluted, and everything so expensive. I had a nice home in Foothill Ranch, on 1/8 acre of land, like so many communities there. Wifehorn and I have two young boys, and there wasn't enough room in our yard to put up a swingset for 'em ... you gotta have 8 feet clearance front and back, on account of how youngsters jump off swings. We could lean out the window and shake hands with our next door neighbor. When we sold that home and bought a nicer home here, we got 8 times as much land (OK, it's really .95 acre) and had almost $200K in change left over to invest somewhere else.

Our home has a huge wraparound porch on two sides, and every room is wired for a computer network, just plug your cable in the wall. My driveway starts at the end of a cul-de-sac and goes 130 yards before reaching our house, which allowed our boys to learn to ride bikes and skate without ever coming close to any traffic. We're surrounded by woods on three sides, and a creek goes alongside about 50 yds. from the house. We have deer, squirrels, a groundhog, a beaver (yes, he's had a significant effect on the creek), and many other critters. The Neuse River is about 300 yds. from our house. And Raleigh has everything a city can offer that's worth while. It's an ideal place for raising kids.

And if you look at a map, you'll see we're just about smack dab in the center of the Eastern Seaboard, equidistant from Miami and Boston.

The beaches are great here, except for the surf, and even then, once in a while it's just right for bodysurfing. The water is warm and clean. Go the same distance from Raleigh in the opposite direction, and you're in the Great Smoky Mountains.

There's a couple things I miss about SoCal ... going to Trojans games and Double Western Bacon Cheeseburgers come to mind ... but I love Raleigh, and I love living in N.C.
I ride tandem with the random.

User avatar
Parrotpaul
Posts: 33550
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 pm

Re: Hello

Post by Parrotpaul » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:21 pm

Foggy wrote:
The beaches are great here, except for the surf, and even then, once in a while it's just right for bodysurfing. The water is warm and clean. Go the same distance from Raleigh in the opposite direction, and you're in the Great Smoky Mountains.

There's a couple things I miss about SoCal ... going to Trojans games and Double Western Bacon Cheeseburgers come to mind ... but I love Raleigh, and I love living in N.C.
ThomasDad on the other board is also a USC grad who just recently moved to Charlotte.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

User avatar
Foggy
Posts: 347
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:05 am

Re: Hello

Post by Foggy » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:39 pm

Yes, I know, and I mentioned that in my second post above, PP. I think he's been here a few years now, but that's a three hour drive from here, and I don't get to Charlotte too often. I notice he joined OC Connect last November, but he only put up a few posts on the day he joined, and he hasn't been back. He's still on the Register forum, and I sent him a PM asking why ...

No, I prob'ly won't share his response here, regardless what it is. PMs are private, except I get to disclose what I wrote if'n I choose to.
I ride tandem with the random.

User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 19754
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Hello

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:40 pm

Foggy wrote:For one thing, I have an outstanding staff of expert researchers, fact-checkers, and associated other various insufferably lame fools:

Image

In closing, I would like to make a tiny request: I often like to center my images in a post, and I tried using BBCode to center those two images above, but it didn't work. Can you add
to the list of available BBCodes, por favor?
Nice, the way you stacked your researchers so neatly. An orderly fact checker is a happy fact checker.

I'll get to the
button in a little bit. Oddly, PhpBB 3 doesn't have one built in. But it can be added pretty easily.

User avatar
John Q. Public
Site Admin
Posts: 19754
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:56 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Hello

Post by John Q. Public » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:20 pm

Foggy wrote:Can you add
to the list of available BBCodes, por favor?
Added. Right now it's down where the program adds custom BBCodes. If I get the chance, I'll try to put it up where you'd expect it to be. But that's a whole lot more work than it might seem.

Also added: a pretty slick font selection box, if I do say so myself. I've been wanting one of those.

User avatar
Parrotpaul
Posts: 33550
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:14 pm

Re: Hello

Post by Parrotpaul » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:18 pm

I like the font selection box. It certainly adds some spice.
It's always nice to have more options.

I'll just play around with a few. I'll just play around with a few. I'll just play around with a few.
I'll just play around with a few.


Yep, I think they work.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

User avatar
GOODave
Posts: 26392
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Re: Hello

Post by GOODave » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:22 pm

Foggy wrote:It's a great city. I left SoCal in late '02, and I love it here. California was so crowded, the beach so polluted, and everything so expensive. I had a nice home in Foothill Ranch, on 1/8 acre of land, like so many communities there. Wifehorn and I have two young boys, and there wasn't enough room in our yard to put up a swingset for 'em ... you gotta have 8 feet clearance front and back, on account of how youngsters jump off swings. We could lean out the window and shake hands with our next door neighbor. When we sold that home and bought a nicer home here, we got 8 times as much land (OK, it's really .95 acre) and had almost $200K in change left over to invest somewhere else.

Our home has a huge wraparound porch on two sides, and every room is wired for a computer network, just plug your cable in the wall. My driveway starts at the end of a cul-de-sac and goes 130 yards before reaching our house, which allowed our boys to learn to ride bikes and skate without ever coming close to any traffic. We're surrounded by woods on three sides, and a creek goes alongside about 50 yds. from the house. We have deer, squirrels, a groundhog, a beaver (yes, he's had a significant effect on the creek), and many other critters. The Neuse River is about 300 yds. from our house. And Raleigh has everything a city can offer that's worth while. It's an ideal place for raising kids.

And if you look at a map, you'll see we're just about smack dab in the center of the Eastern Seaboard, equidistant from Miami and Boston.

The beaches are great here, except for the surf, and even then, once in a while it's just right for bodysurfing. The water is warm and clean. Go the same distance from Raleigh in the opposite direction, and you're in the Great Smoky Mountains.

There's a couple things I miss about SoCal ... going to Trojans games and Double Western Bacon Cheeseburgers come to mind ... but I love Raleigh, and I love living in N.C.
Hey, Foggy, I think I remember you: Didn't you and Wifen adopt your boys?

You'll recall (perhaps) that I love that section of the country: Spent several years in Virginia Beach and travelled regularly through the Carolinas.

You are most welcome here.

dave

User avatar
Foggy
Posts: 347
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:05 am

Re: Hello

Post by Foggy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:09 am

We did adopt both boys. They were born to different mothers in Fresno. My youngest was born four days before 9/11, and had some 'elevated protein level' that convinced them not to let him out of Neonatal Intensive Care for more than a week. I was in a Red Roof in Fresno on 9/11 ...

They're growing up to be fine young men. Here they are riding an Amtrak to D.C. to visit my dad:

Image




We're involved in an amazing organization that I never heard of during the 18 years I lived in SoCal ... the Y-Guides and Princesses, a YMCA program that's sort of an alternative to Scouting. It's a HUGE thing in Raleigh, more than 12,000 people in it, and it would take too long to tell y'all about all the great things we've done in the program.
JQP wrote:Added. Right now it's down where the program adds custom BBCodes. If I get the chance, I'll try to put it up where you'd expect it to be. But that's a whole lot more work than it might seem.

Also added: a pretty slick font selection box, if I do say so myself. I've been wanting one of those.
OMG, an admin that actually pretends to LIKE his own members and works to make improvements! :D That's so different from all the forums run by newspapers, huh, fellers? We have the same kinda setup on my NC forum. This is the reason I said at the top, I'm very comfortable with a privately run board!
I ride tandem with the random.

Post Reply