Obama Threatens To Shut Down DHS

Brooke

Re: Obama Threatens To Shut Down DHS

Post by Brooke »

Everything Parrotpaul.
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?
Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan »

I am not trying to convince anyone. The facts speak for themselves.

You're apparently trying to convince people that there was something "profound" about the last mid-term election. None of the facts you've provided have pointed to anything "profound" and you still haven't specified the content of that "message" you mentioned earlier. What "message" do you think was sent by 36% of the voters?

A low voter turnout is hardly an endorsement for approving of the current administration...

Coincidentally, no one here suggested that it was.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

When Obama went out to play golf after making a statement about Americans being beheaded by terrorists it was thought to be a sign of his political ineptness. It was anything but, it was proof of what kind of man he is.

World events happening in other countries don't warrant altering one's schedule. Had the US been attacked or had a similar event I could see your point. Since that wasn't the case, I don't.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Сделай Америку великой снова
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

This is a perfect example of why I don't post as much anymore. The thread topic is DHS, not the last election. There are now more posts about the midterm election and the supposed mandate than the original topic.

When you can't trust a thread to stay on topic and everything turns into the same REP vs. DEM rants, why bother reading the board at all? No diversity of thought.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

I think you have to cut a little more slack as to how threads age. There is only so much mileage can be had from "Obama threatens to shut down DHS." Some threads tend to morph when they run out of steam. At that point whether or not the discussion is a valid discussion even though the topic is pretty much dead needs to be decided...either lock the thread or let it ramble until the posts are no longer useful to any discussion.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

At this risk of taking this thread even further into the ditch ...

Keeping threads on topic is a key to attracting new visitors and keeping the forum healthy. Not everyone is reading a thread real time. You need to leave the topic sit out there as is. People who come into the conversation days later should be able to post and comment and still have thread be on the same topic. I, for one, don't read these forums daily. While many current members may, most people don't. If a thread dies because the topic is not interesting enough, then that is what should happen. It shouldn't be locked and it shouldn't be taken in a different direction. It should just die on its own.

What do you end up with? A well organized set of threads, sorted by category, that someone can search and browse from outside the forums that may, eventually, draw them into participating when a particular topic interests them.

This thread may look interesting to someone wishing to discuss Obama's position on DHS or even illegal immigration in general. The first few posts look promising. Then, a few posts in, Vile (a moderator) calls out a poster on a particular comment made about the election in a much longer post that was, for the most part, on topic. To me, that is where the thread took a turn. There were a few other posts about immigration policy before it turned into banter about the election. The topic started to die not because it ran out of steam, but because it was run off the rails.

[stepping off soap box]
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

Once a thread goes to the second page of the "active topics" page, chances are it will die unless a regular poster decides to resuscitate it with a new post.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

:: Thinking about appointing not4u administrator ::

Also not wanting to derail the thread further, but threads wandering is probably the biggest factor contributing to our low pagerank. If you think of threads as blog posts, which is what search engines do, you'd think half of the "posts" here were transcripts of conversations some crazy homeless guy was having with himself. You might start reading them but you'd soon say, "Ok, this is a waste of time" when his stream of consciousness moved to its third topic. Searchbots do the same thing but they keep records.

I fall into the trap myself sometimes, but yes, the last post should almost always still be about the same subject as the first. If the thread is about DHS funding but you want to talk about an election, it's probably better to go find one of the many threads on that subject. If you don't have any thoughts on DHS funding, don't post anything. There's no problem with letting discussions end. I know of a few boards that are much more active than this one that rarely have threads that go beyond 2 or 3 pages. People read them, post their thoughts and move on to another topic. They might come back to reply a few times but it's very rare that they flog topics until they're painful to read. And it's even more rare that the subject will get changed. It just isn't done. And I think that's one of the key factors that have made those boards popular. I know I sure appreciate that when I read them.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

Wabash: World events happening in other countries don't warrant altering one's schedule. Had the US been attacked or had a similar event I could see your point. Since that wasn't the case, I don't.
I expect many Americans would look at Americans being beheaded on video and shown around the world as something the president of the United States should pay close attention to, loudly condemn it, and show respect for their families rather than families of deserters.
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

The last election was certainly profound for the reasons I already listed. If Obama was the Messianic genius you all dreamed he would be that would never have happened. His tenure has been one disaster after another - and he is still not listening to the voice of the people.

His threats to shut down DHS is another clear manifestation of not listening to US citizens. The election was about securing the borders, protecting Americans and to stop importing third world nationals into the USA. The election should have sent Obama a clear message - it didn't work. He just doesn't care about anything, but his own agenda. He has proved it over and over again.

It is quite clear that you were pushing the low percentage of voter turnout as a negative for Republicans. It was obviously a negative for Democrats because they didn't bother going to the polls to ensure that Dems stayed in office. A sure sign they are fed up with this president, just as republicans and independents are.

You are free to interpret it in any way you wish, but don't count on the majority of Americans to agree with you.
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

JQP: I fall into the trap myself sometimes, but yes, the last post should almost always still be about the same subject as the first.
Except that is not the way conversations naturally flow. The election does tie into this subject of DHS because the voters sent a message to Washington. Obama has ignored that message. Will the Republicans play into Obama's hands when the time comes? It is all tied together.

If a thread does get seriously derailed it is easy enough for a single post to get it on track again if people are interested. I see no reason to lock it.

I believe locking threads is a deterrent for anyone new looking for a forum. Because it looks very unfriendly and intolerant to those who are looking around for a place to feel comfortable.
Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte »

In the panic after 9/11 our "fearless leaders" decided to create the DHS. All the various departments were placed under one heading in the hopes of inter-co-operation and sharing of intelligence. Was wasn't taken into account was the bureaucratic mindset where intelligence and secrets are bankable, to be used for furthering one's career or fattening the department's funding during budget allocation periods..
The GOP kinda left out the DHS in their budget proposal. Obama threatens to dismantle it if his immigration proposal is shot down. You would think someone would see the hand writing on the wall here.. Like J Edgar Hoover, the wonks over at DHS are digging up dirt on who ever threatens their livelihood in order to protect themselves.. Gonna be some interesting fall out in the near future...
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

Supposedly the Republicans left it out in order to address it closer to the deadline. Are we the people who support law enforcement in the USA supposed to believe they are now working on a strategy to shut down Obama's Executive Amnesty or is it a scam on the public that they will not act on it when the time comes?
Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte »

Brooke, it's all political gamesmanship.. The only reason for stalling off funding for anything "closer to the deadline" is to use it as a bargaining chip for something else.. Might not have been about immigration at all.
Both sides play these games constantly. Same goes for Obama's veto threats and threats to shut down DHS.. If you only go by what they say, or the news, you'd really become confused.. You have to look a few more yards down the road, or several chess moves ahead to figure out what is really going on.. It's just haggling over the price of our screwing...
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

You have to love Obama's getting "free community college tuition" into the conversation.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

You also have to appreciate the audacity it takes to use emotional words like "free tuition" to drum up support, allthewhile knowing the price of that "free tuition" will just be foisted onto the taxpayers.
Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan »

If the thread is about DHS funding but you want to talk about an election, it's probably better to go find one of the many threads on that subject.

Perhaps, but this thread isn't really about DHS funding is it. We're not discussing how much they need, or what they might spend the money on, or even how they're going to get it. Like Trog pointed out, this thread is about political maneuvering, and when one of our posters made a comment indicating that Obama's "maneuvering" supposedly ignored a "message" he was allegedly sent by the voters in the last mid-term election, I chose to call into question that notion. There may be people who see that as "derailing" the thread, but I don't.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

You're right. The thread is about political maneuvering, rather than DHS funding. I'm not sure if Brooke recognizes that, though.

Funny (well, not funny, actually) how the post after yours, which isn't there any more, was a continuation of a derailment.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Vilepagan

Post by Vilepagan »

not4u posted:

This thread may look interesting to someone wishing to discuss Obama's position on DHS or even illegal immigration in general. The first few posts look promising. Then, a few posts in, Vile (a moderator) calls out a poster on a particular comment made about the election in a much longer post that was, for the most part, on topic.

While I understand and approve of your desire to see discussions stay on topic, I can't agree even slightly with your characterization of my post or the one to which I was responding. Following is Brooke's "much longer post" which you described as "for the most part, on topic". IMO, the bulk of her post was just politically motivated speculation about Obama, and the part to which I responded was the only part worth a response.

Maybe DHS personnel are rude because their morale is so low, which has been reported.

With Obama ordering them not to do their jobs and all. Can you imagine all the money that is wasted in this government because of Obama's tyranny? Entire agencies have been turned on their heads. He is such an arrogant idiot.

The last election was profound enough to send everyone a message including Obama. But, what does he do? He ignores it and carries on with his own agenda with the will of the people thwarted again. Par for the course, he doesn't take the advice of his advisers either.

What a bloody disaster Obama is. His legacy will be the ugliest of all the presidents.

What is so mind-blowing too, is the fact that he does it in front of millions of people - everyday! It does make sense that in some administrations of the past some things were put in place because the populace was ignorant of what went on, but that excuse cannot be used during these times.

The man has no honor and no shame. But, he is certainly likeable. The entire time he is smiling and charming everyone he is screwing them at the same time.
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

Unfortunately for the American people discussing the amount of money to fund DHS is a useless exercise because in following these issues for years there are always last minute maneuvers that pop up. The public has no idea what is going to be cut or what new program will be introduced.

Even the much touted programs such as concentrating on deporting felon criminal illegal aliens turned out to be flat out lies as the records of DHS clearly show. I have posted numbers for posters but, to my recollection, no one has been the least interested. Which is odd, considering the president's job is to secure the country to keep out and deport foreign criminals who prey on American citizens. It doesn't take a genius to see that Obama is failing his most basic duty as president, which is something citizens should be angry about.

Yet, Vilepagan chooses to quibble about the message that was clearly sent by the American people in the last election. He can waste as much of his time on it as he wishes, but I don't intend to. It's done, now we must wait and see what the Republicans are going to do about it.

As far as my speculation about Obama's tactics; I read reams of information almost on a daily basis of what the Obama administration is up to regarding immigration matters. I could spend hours here everyday listing all the dirty tricks and lies this administration pulls on a daily basis. It's disgraceful and shameful. I have plenty of facts to back up my claims. However, no one here will acknowledge them - which is disappointing but expected. I regard that as disgraceful and shameful too because they aren't willing to have discussions based on facts and reality.
Last edited by Brooke on Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.