For Every New Job, Two New Immigrants

not4u13

Re: For Every New Job, Two New Immigrants

Post by not4u13 »

I think I provided a pretty clear picture of how the H1B visa works from the perspective of a company deciding to outsource in the SCE thread.

The statistics for IT jobs show that salaries continue to rise. We are experiencing continued growth in the tech sector and some companies are still paying top dollar for tech hires. This is not limited to Silicon Valley either.

IT costs are a continually growing portion of company budgets, making them a continuing target for cost containment measures. IT employees need to be continually aware of how the labor market is changing and adjust accordingly. Those that do will see pay continue to rise, despite H1B programs.

As for the impact to the overall economy, I still don't see the negative draw down from H1B workers. These are skilled workers earning decent money. If they bring their families, the money they earn will be spent here instead of being sent back "home".
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte »

Our older workers are behind the curve on IT jobs, and the younger crowd are more interested in social media, video games and cell phone apps than to go slogging through "boring" commercial applications.
Young people in India, Bangladesh and such are better educated in those IT careers. Simple matter of we don't have the supply and they do.. Too bad our teachers are at least 10 years out of date..
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

Can you quote the India/US IT ratio difference as a percentage of population? India has about four times the number of people as we do. Maybe our schools turn out as many fine young IT workers as a percentage of population as does India....maybe more. You are a well-traveled fellow...would you say an education to a middle class Asian or Indian student is taken more seriously than that of an American middle-class student, or is there not much difference...or?
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte »

and :lol: You?? A retired school teacher ask a question like that?? What was the ratio of serious students, the also rans, to the ones who felt school was a pain in the ass keeping them away from fishing, sports or their video games? The percentages are about the same, but they outnumber us a couple times over..
To many Indian and Asian kids an IT career means (to them) fabulous wealth and the good life in the US compared to endless toil and poverty in their home villages. To many US kids the idea of a guitar, huge amp and speakers, means wealth and stardom here..
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

You made a statement...I asked for a qualification, and the above is your answer?

NIce try at a deflect. You blow a whole lot of smoke but you rarely substantiate anything you post with anything other than Trog bluster. Where's the beef?
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

When you consider total population, the HS graduation rate in India is extremely low compared to the U.S. I think I read somewhere near 30 pct of US HS graduates get a 4 year degree. That number is much lower in India. That is for all degrees. I don't have better numbers without a google search, which anyone can do if they are curious enough.

One thing is clear. A degree here means you are on a good path, but a degree is not the only path to living a decent life here. There are many skilled occupations that pay well here that don't require a degree. Not so much in India.

Trog mentioned stardom, which is certainly a draw, but college graduates in India are almost guaranteed a good life absent of poverty. It is also highly competitive. I've been told there are some colleges that do not land you a job anywhere, so that is a risk. You can also wash out and not finish.

Once you graduate with an IT degree, you can get picked up by an IT firm. They will put you through between 1 and 3 years of additional training before you are assigned to a project. It depends on who hires you and what you are hired to do.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

not4u13: As for the impact to the overall economy, I still don't see the negative draw down from H1B workers. These are skilled workers earning decent money. If they bring their families, the money they earn will be spent here instead of being sent back "home".
How magnanimous of you. What about the thousands of American workers who have been replaced by foreign workers in the USA? What about their lives and those of their children? Their futures?

It is a simple matter of taking care of your own first, which is how our system was set up to work. We citizens vote for reps to take care our own best interests first. Citizens need to wake up and vote out of office the traitors that are instead working for corporate lobbyists. It's backwards - why doesn't someone ever point that out, but me?

What ever happened to logic and reasoning when making these decisions? The founding fathers set up our system of government for logical reasons and that was to benefit its citizens and the country itself. Thereby making us the most successful country in the world. For some reason PC liberals have convinced otherwise smart folks to go along with their wacko, illogical, dumb ideas that will ruin what took so long to build.

You obviously approve of replacing American workers with foreign workers - what is your reasoning behind it? How does it help the citizens of the USA and the future of the country itself? How do you explain away, the betrayal of our elected reps who work on behalf of greedy corporations and foreign workers?

Where are the statistics that IT wages are climbing?
Last edited by Brooke on Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

John, one more time. Why do you support the influx of immigrants when they threaten your job? Are you really willing to give up your lifestyle and future for foreigners? If so - why?

The U.S. government was set up to protect its citizens - why do you favor destroying that? I don't get it. :shock:
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

Look up the annual Computerworld salary survey for one source. Check salaries in indeed.com if you want another source.
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

Are you really willing to give up your lifestyle and future for foreigners? If so - why?

It's the foreign babe's fault.
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

Not really. Only if she takes John's job and kicks him out of their house.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

OMG! It's already happened! :shock:

Run, people! Run! Save yourselves! It's not too late! And whatever you do, don't touch them! Next thing you know they'll be moving in and rearranging your furniture! RUN!
Don't look at me, I just work here.
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

For the record, I do not advocate for replacing American workers with foreign workers. I am merely trying to provide the real world context of what companies are doing with respect to their IT labor pool. There are a lot of different ways that companies are trying to both manage costs and leverage new technologies.

There is plenty of work for IT professionals. I still get solicitations. I know a number of people who have been recently hired away and I know how hard it has been for me to fill open positions. For large projects that need to ramp up quickly, it is far easier to call on one company who can take responsibility for the project, find and onboard the talent and get th job done than it is to try and do it all yourself.