Is There More California Can Do For Illegal Aliens?

Fordama

Re: Is There More California Can Do For Illegal Aliens?

Post by Fordama »

I think it's just habit--we always think that the current wave of immigrants aren't assimilating as quickly as those in the past. We look at the past with rose-colored glasses.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02575.html

Immigrants of the past quarter-century have been assimilating in the United States at a notably faster rate than did previous generations, according to a study released today.

Modern-day immigrants arrive with substantially lower levels of English ability and earning power than those who entered during the last great immigration wave at the turn of the 20th century. The gap between today's foreign-born and native populations remains far wider than it was in the early 1900s and is particularly large in the case of Mexican immigrants, the report said.

It touches on the fact that illegals assimilate more slowly--which would seem obvious as they have to live "outside" of mainstream society.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

I would have to see the study itself before I believe it's supposed results. How can assimilation rates be apparent in one year's time for instance? Also, where is the line between legal and illegal? Sounds like BS to me.

What about the topic fordama? Do you have any views about bestowing more benefits on illegal aliens?

What are your views on mass immigration, which is the overall problem? Do you welcome big changes in your own country because of millions of foreigners who bring their own cultures with them and expect Americans to welcome them bearing billions of dollars of gifts from the government via taxpayer revenues?

If you do, why don't you say so for once, instead of hiding?
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

That's right Trog, it's called reconquista. Sounds familiar doesn't it? Considering a forum member actually uses that word as his username. It's not impossible to tell what his agenda is besides taunting and mocking other forum members.

Oh.... I almost forgot, he has said that what is said on this forum doesn't matter.

Interesting attitude considering I have been banned many times for what I have said. :eh?:
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?
Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte »

I saw part of the immigration wave after WWII. People from all over Europe and Asia came to the US after the war and assimilated in short order. There was no ESL, government loans, and special accommodations made. They assimilated because they had to. All the "help" just slowed down the process.
Look at the Vietnamese. In one generation they owned their own businesses, dominated the honor roles at their schools, and our "minorities" tried to put a cap on their admission to college. Very few gang problems or law breaking.
The success rating of our Blacks and Hispanics assimilating, many have been here for 400 years, is very poor.
Then we have the Native Americans, 10,000+ year residents, even worse. They may be able to lay some of the blame on Whitey, but success can only be made by themselves. Pity parties, excuses, and our "help" hasn't worked at all.
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..
Fordama

Post by Fordama »

Nothing more historically inaccurate than the individual memory.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

Illegal immigration should not be an issue because of the fundamental duty of a country to protect and control its borders, which also results in protecting citizens from foreign invaders.
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

There are some libertarians that believe the same principles that apply to the free trade of merchandise should also apply to people moving across international borders. They forget that people are not merchandise and when you import people you import cultures and patterns of behavior.
One hundred years ago when our nation was debating immigration they got data on which children of which immigrants did well in schools, which immigrants went on welfare and which didn't, which immigrants had what diseases, and so forth. But today, in that regard, we are just flying blind.
- Thomas Sowell
We can thank political correctness for adding that advice of ignorance to our society.
not4u13

Post by not4u13 »

Assimilation does not mean that the immigrant gives up all of their past. It means they become a fully engaged member of society. As Ford pointed out, illegal immigrants really count assimilate since they are required to remain outside of societal circles and create their own community. Not surprisingly, that community is more similar to the one they left behind, since that is their only reference point.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

Brooke, you jump back and forth in this thread between "mass immigration" and illegal aliens. I think you need to make up your mind what you want this thread to be about, because the two are not the same thing. With that said, I don't think immigration (legal or otherwise) is necessarily the problem:

On the front page of today's L.A. Times is a story entitled: "VARIED VIEWS OF TESTING'S VALUE. Most Latino Voters See Standardized Exams As Helpful; Not So For Whites".

Buried deep on the second page of that article are these two paragraphs:
"For Mariana Sanchez, who has six children in pre-kindergarten through fifth grade, standardized testing offers the assurance that her children are learning the skills they need to pursue college and enter the workforce.

Sanchez, who has dyslexia, said frustration led her to drop out as she struggled to keep up in high school. The Fresno-area homemaker and her husband, a farm-worker, want more for their children."
So here we have a mother who can't work and a father who's a farm-worker, and they have six children in six years. I don't know if this family consists of illegal aliens, legal immigrants or tenth-generation Americans. I assume from the surname that the family is Hispanic, but they could just as easily be black, white or Asian. That's not the overriding issue, just as immigration may not be.

The issue is the nanny state mentality many families have that makes it acceptable to bring six children into this world on a farm-worker salary, relying on the fact that if the parents can't provide for the children, the state will. Multiply this attitude by millions or tens of millions of parents for whom government entitlements and bailouts have become second nature, and it becomes a much bigger problem than immigration, legal or otherwise.
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

Political correctness aside MDDad, I believe that we can safely assume that the two paragraphs are referring to illegal aliens. You should know from your own family's experience that they are not qualified for legal immigration. How many American citizens do you know that are dim enough to have six children in six years? I don't see that it states they had six children in six years, but I will take your word for it.

The problem is mass immigration of illegal aliens and legal immigrants who cannot support themselves. We can include foreign workers who come here and take American jobs for less pay too.

This country does not control, protect and police its borders. Do you really believe the problem would be an issue at all if our government was operated as it was designed? The people in control (the Obama administration) obviously have resentments against the United States and its citizens. They believe their job is to spread the wealth that Americans have created. Americans have been lucky and they have enough. It's only fair to the poor people of the world for Americans to take care of them even if they must violate the rule of law and undermine the very meaning of their own country to do it.

If there were not millions of these dependents relying on billions of dollars in government benefits paid to them via U.S. taxpayers then it would not be such a big problem would it?

I am surprised that you have offered this point of view MDDad. In order to make this country right and to regain control the easiest and most efficient thing to do is deport illegals and legal immigrants who do not support themselves and obey our laws. Then you can work on the nanny state mentality.
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

Wow, what a revelation not4u13. That's right, it does stand to reason that illegal aliens do remain outsiders considering they are criminal foreign nationals who do not belong here.
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

BTW, couples having six babies in six years or more or less is an affliction of men who have little power, such as those from poor countries who have little control over their lives who show their virility by keeping their wives pregnant and having babies.
Troglodyte

Post by Troglodyte »

Why come to this country if they want to turn it into what they left behind? Sure it is natural to band together with other people of the same nationality and customs to begin with, but branching out from there should be the next step in integrating into this society. Learn the language, mores and customs of the adopted country. Not try to force the old onto this country. No one forces them to do this, it is their choice and our detriment.
After WWII Japan copied the "American way", turned their feudal system around and became a world powerhouse.
Central and South America could do the same thing, but they choose to run North instead. If they want a better life it would make more sense to change their country instead of dragging our country down. Sure, we've all heard the excuses, but that doesn't get the job done. We can't buy them a better life, they have to earn it.
Unfortunately the US isn't the only country experiencing this. Most of Europe and the more prosperous nations in Asia and Africa are having the same problems with illegal mass immigration.
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..
Fordama

Post by Fordama »

If they want a better life it would make more sense to change their country instead of dragging our country down.

Then we'd only have posters from the Tongva, Luiseni, or Juaneno tribes on this board!

Fordama
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

Why bother fordama? All that wasted effort for nothing. :eh?:
crayegg
Oversight Committee

Post by crayegg »

Pot, meet kettle.
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

Not true crayegg, I'll bet I bring more info to the board than anyone else. the difference between you and me is political correctness. It doesn't govern my thinking process or behavior. I reject it because it's phony and has no logic.
crayegg
Oversight Committee

Post by crayegg »

And it's all wasted effort for nothing.
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

why do say that?
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

Fordama doesn't post anything seriously. almost everything I post is serious. Why do you defend someone who just causes trouble?