Interesting comment about Trump by Peggy Noonan

Hanna

Interesting comment about Trump by Peggy Noonan

Post by Hanna »

I suppose others have observed it but she really hit it right:

One part of the speech has been heavily quoted: “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. . . . But as to Mr. Trump’s words, throughout our history other nations never sent their “best” to America. My people and my friend’s, the Irish, were not Ireland’s elite when they came in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. They had nothing back home; that’s why they left. The landed gentry, the high-born, the educated and established—they didn’t come here. They didn’t have to! The wretched refuse did. And the Irish transition to America was not so smooth. There was plenty of poverty, overcrowding, addiction, criminality. We should always remember—and Mr. Trump, as a native New Yorker, should remember—that our city’s arrest vehicles weren’t known as paddy wagons for nothing.

There may even have been some fairly fractious Trumps way back then . . .

http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trum ... 1436479851
Wabash

Re: Interesting comment about Trump by Peggy Noonan

Post by Wabash »

Why would the well to do leave any nation? They have it good at home.

That is the story of immigration.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Сделай Америку великой снова
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Testament to what Noonan said, Ye Olde William McPublic I came to these shores because he was thrown out of Scotland. And, along with most of the other lowlifes and ne'er-do-wells like him, he took the brood through Tennessee, Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas and Oklahoma and helped populate all those places where they actually think that Donald isn't freaking nuts.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

My great grandfather, and Irish immigrant, John Casey, was an anthracite coal miner and Civil War vet (I have his discharge)from a small coal mining town in Pennsylvania...his son became an MD. I have his 1894 medical degree from Drexel University in Philadelphia... it is actual sheepskin, and it was all hand engraved and lettered. His daughter, my mother, became an RN.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

Trump's appearance in Phoenix...he's entertaining....but nothing like Sarah Palin entertaining, :mrgreen:

<snip>

The speech was rife with Trump’s signature over-the-top flourishes and free-associations. “I went to the Wharton School of Business,” he said at one point.”I’m, like, a really smart person.”

“The press are liars. They’re terrible people. Terrible,” he said, pointing at the assembled cameras and scribes. “Not all of them, but many of them.”

“ISIS right now is building a hotel in Iraq,” he said. “They’re competing with me.”

<snip>

http://time.com/3954739/donald-trump-phoenix/
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

25 bonus points for any picture where he doesn't look like he's pissed off about something.

Nah, on second thought, just describe the picture. I don't even like to look at the guy.
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

If you had cotton candy for hair, you'd be pissed off too.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Letterman having regrets about retiring when he did.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

Wabash: Why would the well to do leave any nation? They have it good at home.
So they could be part of something new and make money off the folks who immigrate.
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

That wasn't even the reason the Pilgrims came to America.

Funny though.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Brooke

Post by Brooke »

I am sure there were lots of reasons why immigrants came to this country Wabash.
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

Rarely is it someone who was very wealthy or very powerful in their home country. Unless they were forced out.

Again, why would anyone leave when they have it good at home?

Brooke

Post by Brooke »

Wabash: Again, why would anyone leave when they have it good at home?
I already told you why. Wealthy people move to other countries all the time.
Wabash

Post by Wabash »

I said "rarely." I didn't say"never."

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

It's a heck of a lot easier for the wealthy They don't need to work, and renewing tourist visas isn't much of a problem. They can hire agencies or lawyers to deal with all the headaches of immigration authorities at ports of entry and who will expedite the process of their entry into the US. It is pretty much a painless process for the rich, and in the past US, Canada, and other countries have even accepted flat fees from wealthy immigrants for citizenship.

Bush pushed up the application fees substantially significantly impacting the poor but not the rich as discussed in this article.

Citizenship application costs rose so drastically during the George W. Bush administration that naturalizations dropped dramatically, particularly for legal permanent residents who were poorer, less educated and of Mexican origin, according to advocates pushing the Obama administration to reduce the fees.

"Right now, cost has become such a barrier for the working poor that citizenship is becoming a privilege that is limited to wealthy immigrants, and the working poor, especially Mexican immigrants, are being excluded from the benefits of citizenship," said Joshua Hoyt, co-chair of the National Partnership for New Americans.

While some 11 million people in the U.S. have waited for Congress to pass laws that would move them toward American citizenship or legal status, another 8.8 million people in the U.S. already eligible to apply for citizenship haven't applied for it.

In 2000, the start of the George W. Bush administration, the cost of applying for citizenship was $225. That increased rapidly, so that by 2008, the final year of his administration, the cost was $675.

The naturalization fees have remained unchanged under President Barack Obama. Fee waivers exist for applicants who can meet a means test and have household incomes of 150 percent of poverty.
<snip>

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/high ... ns-n283061
Hanna

Post by Hanna »

What does David Letterman retiring have to do with Trump?

or immigration?
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

:mrgreen: JQP...busted!!!!! It's those pesky lead ins that provide zip info.
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

David Letterman comes out of retirement to bust Donald's nads.

It hasn’t been two months since David Letterman retired, but he emerged from playing dominos over the weekend in order to lampoon Donald Trump.

“I was satisfied, I was content,” Letterman told the San Antonio crowd at Steve Martin and Martin Short’s A Very Stupid Conversation. “And then a couple of days ago Donald Trump said he was running for president.”

“I have made the biggest mistake of my life.”

And then he gave us the best “Top 10” in a long time: “He wants to build a wall? How about building a wall around that thing on his head?”

Take a look

http://bluenationreview.com/david-lette ... z3fn5MjnLT
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Oops. :oops:

Shaking my head at the GOP saying he doesn't represent them when he's polling second. Sorry guys, but 7 years of whoring to the lunatic fringe created the monster. Live with it.
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

Does anyone know if Letterman has a fence around his property or properties? I'll bet he does. Ask him why if he does. These loons and their objections to a fence aren't rational.