Chinese now top U.S. immigrant arrivals

Parrotpaul

Chinese now top U.S. immigrant arrivals

Post by Parrotpaul »

Interesting but not surprising.

From 1960 to 1990, the Chinese population in the U.S. nearly doubled every decade. In 1960, there were just under 100,000 Chinese-born immigrants in the United States. In 2010, the Census reported more than 3.3 million adult Chinese Americans. Making up the largest group of Asian Americans and the largest ethnic Chinese population (including Taiwanese) outside of Asia, Chinese Americans represent 24 percent of the nation’s adult Asian population.

Chinese Americans are represented at both ends of the economic spectrum. But when people think of Chinese immigrants they tend to think of the highly skilled and educated who arrive – the entrepreneurs, professionals, scientists and students.

Indeed, in 2010 Chinese Americans had higher median annual personal earnings than the general U.S. population.

Chinese immigrants may not be scrutinized and debated in the same way that undocumented low-skilled Mexican immigrants crossing the border are these days, especially in Washington, but it would be a mistake to assume that America has fully embraced Chinese and other Asian immigrants.

Their growing numbers, economic power, and presence have already raised concerns and anxiety. Some Americans resent having to go to a doctor who has a foreign accent, for example, or having their kids compete with talented foreign-born (and even second-generation Asian American) students for spots in college or in the workplace.

There could be even more resentment if China’s national wealth and strength becomes more pronounced globally, and more explicitly opposed to American interests.

<snip>

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/chin ... ation.html
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
afan95

Re: Chinese now top U.S. immigrant arrivals

Post by afan95 »

Americans should thank God every day that there are cultures that still revere doctors as being the most honorable profession. American kids don't want to be doctors anymore...too much work, too much studying, etc. Easier to be a rapper or play a sport with the hopes of getting a college scholarship and then being a pro.
Americans should put in the time towards their children that Asians do as it relates to education. I have a theory that Asians and Indians are not any smarter than Americans...they just have parents who enforce education as being the source of success and honor. If American parents even gave their kids one extra hour each day related to school, their children would likely have the ability to compete for those coveted spots in college.
I also have a theory that when Asians start really yielding their power in politics, it's not going to be a great day for Americans who choose to sit on their butts and let others take care of them. Asians who came here without any money and without being able to speak a word of English will eventually look around at the lazy ass Americans taking their tax dollars and question why these Americans didn't take advantage of the all this country offers. When that happens, it's not going to be a great time for Americans who don't want to work as hard as those Asian immigrants did.

Americans have no one to blame but themselves when it comes to other cultures' children outshining their own.
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Really! Why, you coulda knocked me over with a feather!

I was surprised to see that Irvine's Asian population was 39%. There would be an "only" before that around here. There are 9 cities in the San Gabriel Valley that are majority Asian, almost all of them Chinese. And it's kinda nice.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

afan95...have you checked out the expense to put one child through college and medical school? Wealthy American families are more likely to fund MBA candidates.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

Parrotpaul wrote:afan95...have you checked out the expense to put one child through college and medical school?
Yes, it's terribly expensive, yet somehow thousands of "poor" Asian families are able to accomplish it within one generation. It would be hard to overestimate the importance of priorities.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Poor. Asian. Families. ROFL

C'mon up sometime. I'll give you the cook's tour of lovely 909ville. Or you could do a quick Google Earth scan of Arcadia, San Marino or Walnut. Whole lot of houses that will fill up your browser window.

TheFarEastSide.jpg
TheFarEastSide.jpg (88.83 KiB) Viewed 616 times
MDDad

Post by MDDad »

I'm sure that area is just lovely.

Come to my housing development sometime and I'll show you 40 or 50 homes of Vietnamese families who immigrated here in the decade after the fall of Saigon. All the ones I know have children or grandchildren in college or graduate school now or already completed. It's not just the wealthy Asians like the ones in your neighborhood who somehow find ways to "make it".
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Oh, my neighborhood isn't rich. I live in a little pocket of straight middle-class people. Well, most of us. The guy next door drives a Maserati, the guy next to him drives a work truck. He leaves at 6:00 and gets home at 6:00 and he has a kid at UCLA and a kid at Stanford. Yup. Priorities.
afan95

Post by afan95 »

There's a difference between Chinese and Vietnamese immigrants.
The Vietnamese immigrants largely came here with the clothes on their backs. They worked day and night in liquor stores and dry cleaners with their kids doing homework behind the counters.
The Chinese immigrants largely came here with mom and dad back in China paying for much of their housing, schooling, etc.

At school's like USC, non-American citizens have to pay their full semester or year's tuition IN CASH before they can even register. Some of these families are wealthy in China and some have been saving since their kids were babies to afford college in the US.

And yes Paul, I know how expensive college is. Both of my kids have gone through private school since kindergarten through college. Don't even keep track of the money we've spent anymore; just write the check. But both of my children had job offers at the beginning of their senior year in college for positions paying close to $60K per year. They had multiple offers. With the education we've paid for and the opportunities afforded to them throughout their lives, they knew damn sure how blessed they were and didn't squander those opportunities either. They knew their parents didn't grow up rich, put themselves through college, and worked their butts off to provide them with the lifestyle they enjoyed growing up. They played sports...one in college...and had a great childhood and teen years in addition to doing their homework at nights and weekends. They give to the less fortunate through time and money and attend Mass each Sunday.

As MDDad said, it's called priorities.
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

And trust me, afan...every teacher your kids ever had would probably thank you for your efforts.

Subbing in Irvine, Laguna Hills, and Mission Viejo high schools underscores the wealth, drive, and stress many of those youngsters experience striving to be among the top 5%.
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

How is the wealth of the Chinese and Asians in the U.S. counted? Asian families are often several generations under one roof, not like white folks where the family unit is mom, dad and the kids.
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

How hard do Mexican and Central American kids work in school? The data proves that they don't do very well even after several generations. So why do the PC want them here to benefit the nation or to have a lower class to dictate to and manipulate especially when it comes to voting?
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

How is the wealth of the Chinese and Asians in the U.S. counted? Asian families are often several generations under one roof, not like white folks where the family unit is mom, dad and the kids.

Probably not all that prevalent in south OC. All one needs to do is watch the parade of Mercedes SUV's dropping kids off in the morning and picking them up after school... one gets to see some pretty nice iron delivering kids to University HS, Northwood HS, Mission Viejo HS, Laguna Hills HS, and Trabuco Hills HS.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Brooke wrote:Asian families are often several generations under one roof, not like white folks where the family unit is mom, dad and the kids.
Not in my neighborhood.
How hard do Mexican and Central American kids work in school? The data proves that they don't do very well even after several generations.
Probably because those big ol' sombreros they wear aren't as good for studying as the pointy hats the Chinese kids wear.

But Mexican and Central American kids aren't the topic, so let's move on, shall we?
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

Yep...its tough for many immigrants, and if the immigrant families are blessed with resources and support...financial, familial, and cultural, they will learn and progress at a much quicker pace. I'm an educator...I believe anyone who walks into a public school and is willing to put in some effort should be given a desk and a chair. I assume you've never been privy to an immigrant kid who can barely say, "hello" learning something... anything... and seeing a glow. Most satisfying.
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

Parrotpaul: Probably not all that prevalent in south OC. All one needs to do is watch the parade of Mercedes SUV's dropping kids off in the morning and picking them up after school... one gets to see some pretty nice iron delivering kids to University HS, Northwood HS, Mission Viejo HS, Laguna Hills HS, and Trabuco Hills HS.
What does that have to do with my question about several generations living under one roof?
Brooke

Post by Brooke »

JQP: Probably because those big ol' sombreros they wear aren't as good for studying as the pointy hats the Chinese kids wear.

But Mexican and Central American kids aren't the topic, so let's move on, shall we?
I haven't seen kids of any ethnicity wearing hats in Orange County.

Sure, let's move on. What else is there to say about Chinese immigrants?
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

Let's get all confrontational and pick a fight.... wanna, Bev? :mrgreen: