Postby RPW » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:36 pm

Credo is gone? Damn it.

Okay... i will just call him at work.

Just kidding.

I am The Voice of Reason

Professor Fate

Re: Illegal immigration: wrong then, wrong now

Postby Professor Fate » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:50 pm

Well I sure don't think that's called for. I hope you'll reconsider.
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:12 pm

RPW wrote:Credo is gone? Damn it.

Don't sweat it, he'll be back. He always is.
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:27 pm

Bick wrote:You've already got a great function that handles the issue for those not interested in the opinions, gifs, and memes of certain posters.

I'm interested in the opinions on the topic of all posters...it's the large swaths of cut & pastes of outside content and giant pictures of stupid stuff that masquerade as opinion that I'd like to see reduced or at least modified...

John Q. Public wrote:Works great for email and it wouldn't be hard to do, but...it would create posts with no content

You're referring to "posts" that consist only of an image? I think people would stop doing that if the image was just a link. I'm talking about posts of text interspersed with huuuge pictures...that's like 90% of the problem I think.

Oh, and one more thing while we're on it, is there any way to edit the size of images? Sometimes I want to post an image but it takes up the whole damn page when just a small 3x3 would do...any way to address that?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:30 pm

Okay, watch out for whiplash, something on the topic coming up...

Another loss in the courts for the King...

Supreme Court Unlikely To Hear Trump DACA Appeal

The U.S. Supreme Court took no action on Friday on the future of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program. It now appears likely that the court will not take up the issue during its current term, which would require the government to keep the program going for at least ten more months.

=D>

Here's hoping this might spur some Senate Republicans who might have been hoping for court relief to make a deal...

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/suprem ... al-n960321

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:27 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:Source of the post Oh, and one more thing while we're on it, is there any way to edit the size of images? Sometimes I want to post an image but it takes up the whole damn page when just a small 3x3 would do...any way to address that?

The board's software reduces the size of images to fit the width of the column but that's only a little help with especially tall pictures or when somebody posts a whole string of them. I can limit the width of thumbnails for attachments but not for images linked from somewhere else, which is what most images seem to be.

If you have an image on your computer, you can reduce the size with most any image editor or viewer. Android phones require an app but it seems like iPhones let you choose big, medium or small but it's been a while since I used one so don't take my word on it. That might only be for email. And something to consider if you're uploading from a phone is the screen is much smaller, so what looks like a reasonable size to you might look really tiny on a widescreen monitor.

I think, generally, discretion is the best option. Same with overly long quotes and multi-part quotes. Both take up more screen space than they should and I've been known to delete posts where somebody quoted an entire diatribe only to reply to one sentence of it. Yes, I know it's a pain to try to cut a quote down on a phone, but we really should try to avoid that.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:58 pm

Professor Fate wrote:Source of the post Well I sure don't think that's called for. I hope you'll reconsider.

I reconsidered before I pushed the button. My patience had already been wearing thin with him because of his overly aggressive nature and the reasons I listed before, and then he replied to my post of a historical fact with "And still, this a typical juvenile response when you are scrambling to oppose common sense." That isn't discussion; it's somebody with an anger issue trying to start a bar fight - with the owner of the bar. And it's guaranteed to get your *** bounced from just about anywhere.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:13 am

Just seemed a little sudden. No warning first? Reminds me of my mom, who used to say to us, "stop it or I'll smack you!"
Only problem was, that as she was threatening to "smack us," she was already smacking us with whatever she had in her hand! --:--

How about a sentence reduction for Credo?
Make Them Cry Again In 2020

Bick

Postby Bick » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:19 am

Omar Bongo wrote:Source of the post I'm interested in the opinions on the topic of all posters...it's the large swaths of cut & pastes of outside content and giant pictures of stupid stuff that masquerade as opinion...

Omar Bongo wrote:Source of the post by Omar Bongo » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:08 pm

I hear you.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:22 am

That's the best you could come up with?
George Will

Donald Trump

Bick

Postby Bick » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:52 am

John Q. Public wrote:Source of the post My patience had already been wearing thin with him because of his overly aggressive nature and the reasons I listed before, and then he replied to my post of a historical fact with "And still, this a typical juvenile response when you are scrambling to oppose common sense." That isn't discussion; it's somebody with an anger issue trying to start a bar fight - with the owner of the bar. And it's guaranteed to get your *** bounced from just about anywhere.

You mean like this?
John Q. Public wrote:Source of the post Frum didn't say anything, Red. Someone with reading skills would have caught that.

John Q. Public wrote:Source of the post I'm sorry, I don't do stupid arguments about 12 year old videos or irrelevant memes. Bring some facts, maybe we can talk.

The owner of a bar generally won't take sides in a discussion between patrons unless he wants his bar to be filled with a certain clientele, like say a gay bar. I'm guessing he'd try to discourage non-gays from being there, and then ultimately just 86 the guy that doesn't get the hint.

If you find this overly aggressive, feel free to banh mi as well.

Bick

Postby Bick » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:31 am

Omar Bongo wrote:Source of the post That's the best you could come up with?

Nope. But it was all I was willing to spend time on with a person who can't see the hypocrisy of his own posts.

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:56 am

Bick wrote:Source of the post The owner of a bar generally won't take sides in a discussion between patrons unless he wants his bar to be filled with a certain clientele, like say a gay bar. I'm guessing he'd try to discourage non-gays from being there, and then ultimately just 86 the guy that doesn't get the hint.

Never been in a gay bar I see.
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:53 pm

Bick wrote:Source of the post You mean like this?

Except touting a 20 year-old story about illegal immigration really is about as stupid as posting old stories about the threat posed by "Japs" and "Krauts" and pretending they're current. The size of the Border Patrol has tripled and illegal crossings are something like a tenth of what they were when Democrats and Republicans were both calling for more enforcement. The solutions they were calling for have already been implemented and they seem to be working. The stories have no relevance in 2019.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:21 pm

Media sources say Dems wnat to make a deal with Trump over border security, wall, etc.
This could get interesting.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:44 pm

The L.A.Times is reporting that Trump wants to make a deal.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:11 pm

He didn't offer anything. The Dems were wise to dismiss it.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:20 pm

Bick wrote:If you find this overly aggressive, feel free to banh mi as well.

Bánh mì or banh mi refers to a kind of sandwich that consists of a Vietnamese single-serving baguette, also called bánh mì in Vietnamese, which is split lengthwise and filled with various savory ingredients.

Love me a good banh mi along with a French press w/condensed milk...one of my best memories of Saigon :thumbsup:
George Will

Donald Trump

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:59 am

I know many Trump supporters may not know this. There is no wall around San Antonio. San Antonio is not a border town. Not even close. This would shock a lot of white folk. But there are entire neighborhoods where English is a second language populated by middle and upper class AMERICANS of Latin American descent.
Last edited by Wabash on Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:08 am

Roll Call is reporting that Trump is raising the possibility of amnesty. Trump is also saying that he won’t insist on a reform bill that would include funds to deport millions here illegally.

Hmmm...interesting.

Return to “Immigration”