If one of your parents was cheating....

Items of a domestic nature
Charles

If one of your parents was cheating....

Postby Charles » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:47 pm

Would you inform the other parent?

grayghost

Re: If one of your parents was cheating....

Postby grayghost » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:36 pm

Charles wrote:Would you inform the other parent?

Interesting !! So lets expand on the question. Age when one would know a parent is cheating. I would think it would be a child of the age to have a knowledge of sex. If that is the point of this thread when you use the word cheating. Or do you mean cheating on your taxes, going over the speed limit when driving a car, cheating when playing a game or in sports ?? Please define what you are referring to when you say cheating.
SOME MEN SEE THINGS AS THEY ARE AND ASK WHY,I SEE THINGS AS THEY CAN BE AND ASK WHY NOT

Notorious

Postby Notorious » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:59 pm

Only an idiot would tell the other parent.

Getting that information is like getting a blank check, cash in and blackmail like a mofo.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:45 am

Pretty tough...if they were alive Dad would be 106 and mom would be 97...RIP.

If they were alive, yep...I'd tell the other and suggest he/she tell the perp to take a hike.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

afan95

Postby afan95 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:13 pm

OK Paul, how about this question.
You find out from a 3rd party that one of your parents cheated (verified) on your other parent 20 or 30 years ago. Parents are both still alive. Do you tell either of them that you know?
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP

Wiley

Postby Wiley » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:38 pm

afan95 wrote:OK Paul, how about this question.
You find out from a 3rd party that one of your parents cheated (verified) on your other parent 20 or 30 years ago. Parents are both still alive. Do you tell either of them that you know?
Gotta have video verification. :puke:
[center]"If you love me you've got to help me pass this bill." - Barak Obama[/center]

grayghost

Postby grayghost » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:39 pm

Would "Charles" please respond to My question ??
SOME MEN SEE THINGS AS THEY ARE AND ASK WHY,I SEE THINGS AS THEY CAN BE AND ASK WHY NOT

GOODave

Postby GOODave » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:39 am

I have to assume (as Grayghost has already said) a lot in order to answer:

1. Assuming you're asking about marital infidelity;
  2. Assuming I have actual evidence and not just some busy-body neighbor's word for it;
  3. Assuming I am an adult;
  4. Assuming both parents are alive;
  5. Assuming the "cheating" is still going on and not something 30 years in the past;
  6. Assuming I know the other parent is not aware,

I would go to the offending parent, first, and talk to them. If they are contrite (I mean really sorry and not just putting on an act for my benefit) and put an end to the offense, I will let them tell their spouse.

If they do not, then yes, I will.

Charles

Postby Charles » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:10 am

grayghost wrote:
Interesting !! So lets expand on the question. Age when one would know a parent is cheating. I would think it would be a child of the age to have a knowledge of sex. If that is the point of this thread when you use the word cheating. Or do you mean cheating on your taxes, going over the speed limit when driving a car, cheating when playing a game or in sports ?? Please define what you are referring to when you say cheating.

Yes you as a person old enough to know about one of your parents having an affair.

GOODave

Postby GOODave » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:19 am

Charles wrote:

Yes you as a person old enough to know about one of your parents having an affair.

Why won't you answer his other questions?

Charles

Postby Charles » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:21 am

GOODave wrote:Why won't you answer his other questions?

What other questions? He asked about age and definition of cheating....what else is he asking?

GOODave

Postby GOODave » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:11 am

Charles wrote:

What other questions? He asked about age and definition of cheating....what else is he asking?

SEE?

YOU CAN answer my questions.

Hanna

Postby Hanna » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:36 pm

Charles wrote:Would you inform the other parent?

Chances are - the other already knows. Each marriage is different and often partners choose to ignore the evidence, or to live with it.

You don't know how much the betrayed partner knows, whether there were discussions, counseling, etc.

Telling the betrayed partner will just embarrassed him/her. And this is true for any couple, not just parents.

fnuts

Postby fnuts » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:14 pm

The new king of Trolls. Bizarre topics/questions designed to get quick attention & responses.
Attachments
troll.jpeg
troll.jpeg (6.8 KiB) Viewed 1258 times

grayghost

Postby grayghost » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:28 pm

fnuts wrote:The new king of Trolls. Bizarre topics/questions designed to get quick attention & responses.

You are so right!!!!

GOODave

Postby GOODave » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:14 am

Hanna wrote:
Chances are - the other already knows. Each marriage is different and often partners choose to ignore the evidence, or to live with it.

You don't know how much the betrayed partner knows, whether there were discussions, counseling, etc.

Telling the betrayed partner will just embarrassed him/her. And this is true for any couple, not just parents.

I'm not so sure, Hanna. Whether or not the other partner knows, isn't there a duty to bring such infidelity out into the open. Your comments reminded me of what has been said of physical abuse of children: Many times, the spouse of the abuser knew what was going on but did nothing. The embarrassment already exists, whether others in the family surface it or not. And, if it's early enough in the infidelity, quite possible the offended spouse does NOT know.

Of course, there could well be family dynamics that would forbid or postpone telling: Don't want to discount those. But by and large, I believe the agrieved spouse has a right to know the character of the person to whom they're married.

Return to “At Home”