The Great Park. Ha!

The No Bull Board
Tommy Tar

The Great Park. Ha!

Postby Tommy Tar » Thu May 02, 2013 9:01 am

http://www.dailypilot.com/la-fi-great-p ... 0551.story

Construction is set to begin on the first phase of a massive housing development that is part of the city of Irvine's long-awaited Great Park project.

A total of 726 single-family homes and detached condominium units are planned for Pavilion Park, which will be the first part of the Great Park Neighborhoods development. This week, eight major home builders bought land in this first offering from master developer FivePoint Communities Inc. Construction of the new homes, priced from the high $600,000 range to $1.2 million, is expected to begin this month.

"Look, this is for real. Anybody who was wondering whether this was going to happen or not, hopefully this answers that," FivePoint Chief Executive Emile Haddad said. "When you have eight builders investing, this should tell everybody that this project is moving, and the next phase is going to happen very quickly."

The first phase of Great Park Neighborhoods was approved by the Irvine City Council in 2011 and will include about 5,000 new homes and, when complete, 1.2 million square feet of commercial space. Construction on Pavilion Park and the model homes is set to begin this month. <snip>

And people wondered why Orange Counties biggest home builders put up so much money to stop the El Toro airport for a park. :giggle:

‘I Haven’t Seen Democrats This Mad Since We Freed the Slaves!’..... Rob Schneider.

seeinred

Re: The Great Park. Ha!

Postby seeinred » Thu May 02, 2013 9:07 am

Yeah, what BS!!!! I understand that the people who live around there didn't want the planes flying over their heads. But, you gotta wonder if they really believed that they were going to get a park out of the no airport vote like they were led to believe...
Last edited by John Q. Public on Thu May 02, 2013 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed the pointless quote

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Thu May 02, 2013 9:15 am

There were many El Toro airport fighters who really didn't care much what happened to that land as long as airplanes weren't flying in and out...so far ten years...no planes. As to no park....lots of money has passed through lots of hands for all this nothing to happen. I'm still of the idea this area is a water impacted area...there isn't much more to spread around...cheaply. Is there some reason other than the profit motive to negatively impact necessary natural resources with all the home-building...or is that all a ruse and not much to worry about? Inquiring minds want to know.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu May 02, 2013 9:17 am

A total of 726 single-family homes and detached condominium units are planned for Pavilion Park, which will be the first part of the Great Park Neighborhoods development. This week, eight major home builders bought land in this first offering from master developer FivePoint Communities Inc. Construction of the new homes, priced from the high $600,000 range to $1.2 million, is expected to begin this month.

$600K+ for a condo?
Don't look at me, I just work here.

seeinred

Postby seeinred » Thu May 02, 2013 9:24 am

John Q. Public wrote:$600K+ for a condo?

Well they will be right next to the Great Balloon! Location, Location, Location...

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu May 02, 2013 9:29 am

And why isn't the balloon beige? Who authorized that?

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Thu May 02, 2013 9:30 am

There is still a huge market for upscale homes and townhouses for those with great incomes and other resources. The $6-700,00 stand alone townhouse is a fav starting point for the up-scale builders...think Silicon Valley, San Fran area, Colorado, So Cal. Tri-Point Homes
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Thu May 02, 2013 11:07 am

I'm okay with them building homes on the land. The risk is passed to the developers.

I"m sure they've done the market studies to know what type of homes can built there and what price they can get.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Hanna

Postby Hanna » Thu May 02, 2013 11:25 am

Had the Navy gave the land away, the way it was going to do for an airport, the whole area could have been open space. However the Navy chose to sell the land, and the only people with that kind of money were developers. Therefore Irvine reached into agreement where some of the land was going to be developed and some not. This is not new. The only difference is that all plans were dormant during the Great Recession.

http://www.ocgp.org/learn/design/

seeinred

Postby seeinred » Thu May 02, 2013 11:28 am

Wabash wrote:I'm okay with them building homes on the land. The risk is passed to the developers.

I"m sure they've done the market studies to know what type of homes can built there and what price they can get.

There must have been some very fine print on the "No Airport, Great Park" election ballots during the 90's... It must have read something like, "The passage of this referendum in no way gaurantees that any park will be built."

SoMelo

Postby SoMelo » Thu May 02, 2013 11:32 am

Yay!!! Just what OC needs are more homes! Then they can add lanes to the 5 and the 405. They can make them both 15 lane freeways and traffic will still suck! Yay...

Hanna

Postby Hanna » Thu May 02, 2013 11:57 am

seeinred wrote:There must have been some very fine print on the "No Airport, Great Park" election ballots during the 90's... It must have read something like, "The passage of this referendum in no way gaurantees that any park will be built."

Please read my comments just ahead of yours.

seeinred

Postby seeinred » Thu May 02, 2013 1:16 pm

more info on Measure F and Measure W
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/airp ... asure.html

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu May 02, 2013 3:14 pm

Probably even more here, somewhere. ::need "spinning head" smilie::

Or here. ::ditto::

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Thu May 02, 2013 3:23 pm

I had completely forgotten about the Sam Adams meetings. Good times.

Return to “The El Toro Chronicles”