Oscars

Red

Oscars

Postby Red » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:15 am

No, I didn't watch and haven't watched them in years, however I have seen Argo and Silver Lining. The wrong movie won! Argo sucked compared to Silver Lining. Argo was a political choice! Sucks when they mix politics with hollyweird, but that is the way of this culture. BTW, there is no way in hell will hollyweird get one dime out of me for zero dark dirty lies! Chock full of Bull Ship!

Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

Wabash

Re: Oscars

Postby Wabash » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:17 am

I disagree, I thought Argo was a better movie. IMO, the wrong actress won for both Actress and Supporting Actress categories.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

SoMelo

Postby SoMelo » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:11 pm

Argo was a great movie, it was an incredible story and it needed to be told.
Gotta chuckle, political movies have been around since the begining of movies:
Absolute Power
Advise and Consent
All the King's Men
All the President's Men
The American President
Being There
The Best Man
Blaze
Bob Roberts
Boogie Man: The Lee Atwater Story
Bulworth
The Candidate
Charlie Wilson's War
The Contender
Dave
The Distinguished Gentleman
Dr. Strangelove
Duck Soup
Election
Frost/Nixon
In the Loop
Journeys with George
The Man who Shot Liberty Valance
The Manchurian Candidate
Mr. Smith Goes To Washington
My Fellow Americans
Nashville
Nixon
O Brother, Where Art Thou
Our Brand Is Crisis
A Perfect Candidate
Power
Primary Colors
Recount
Seven Days in May
State of the Union
Street Fight
Taking on the Kennedys
Thirteen Days
Thank you for Smoking
True Colors
Truman
Vote for Me
Wag the Dog
The War Room

Just some... there are oodles more.

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Postby crayegg » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:36 pm

Nate Silver predicted Argo would win Best Picture.

The guy's pretty good.

SoMelo

Postby SoMelo » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:49 pm

whoa.. I predicted it too

afan95

Postby afan95 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:07 pm

I wish the members of the Press would have put their cameras and microphones down when the Best Actress Winner flipped them off and done for her what she wanted them to do...not write or say a word about her. But if that would have happened, we wouldn't have had to see what a low class little girl she really is. Bigger stars than you, oh like Meryl Streep, have walked into that room and put up with those people, who are just doing their jobs, with class and dignity.
Hollywood is filled with actresses like you who used to be the next great thing. Time will only tell if you'll be another one of them.

Felt bad for her when she fell...after finding out about that, it seems like karma in reverse.
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP

Red

Postby Red » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:26 pm

Chuckle all you want. Most of the movies you listed sucked.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:53 pm

Red wrote:Chuckle all you want. Most of the movies you listed sucked.

You've seen all of them? Which ones didn't suck?
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

pattywannamack

Postby pattywannamack » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:09 pm

SoMelo forgot Airforce One and Independence Day.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.

SoMelo

Postby SoMelo » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:14 pm

What part of
SoMelo wrote:Just some... there are oodles more.

was confusing to you?

pattywannamack

Postby pattywannamack » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:35 pm

SoMelo wrote:What part of

was confusing to you?

SoMelo, it's irresponsible to ignore a film were the President personally joins the air-force to combat aliens.

I for one think that Air Force One forecasts a telling prophecy by pitting Han Solo against the Al Qaeda insurgency that boards his presidential aircraft.

Both films are rife with imagery that is relevant for our times.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:43 pm

pattywannamack wrote:SoMelo forgot Airforce One and Independence Day.

I think the fact that a movie contains the President as one of the characters doesn't necessarily make it a "political" movie. Air Force One and Indepenedence Day are about as political as The Simpsons or The Three Stooges.

Also, I don't know from where Melo cut and pasted her list, but any list of "political" movies that contains Nashville and O Brother, Where Art Thou, while omitting Reds, Milk, Malcolm X, JFK, The Ides Of March, Syriana, Coming Home and Born On The Fourth Of July, is hard to take seriously.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:57 pm

afan95 wrote:I wish the members of the Press would have put their cameras and microphones down when the Best Actress Winner flipped them off and done for her what she wanted them to do...not write or say a word about her. But if that would have happened, we wouldn't have had to see what a low class little girl she really is. Bigger stars than you, oh like Meryl Streep, have walked into that room and put up with those people, who are just doing their jobs, with class and dignity.
Hollywood is filled with actresses like you who used to be the next great thing. Time will only tell if you'll be another one of them.

Felt bad for her when she fell...after finding out about that, it seems like karma in reverse.

Who flipped the bird? Anne Hathaway or Jennifer Lawrence? Lawrence is the one that fell on her to the podium.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:07 pm

Of course there are tons of political movies, but I think Red's complaint is that Argo was chosen for political reasons. If that is true, I wonder what he thinks those reasons are. One could argue that conservative members voted for it because it made Carter look bad (insert your gratuitous Carter dig here).

SoMelo's list is interesting because only one of those films won Best Picture. Can anyone name it without googling?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

afan95

Postby afan95 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:20 pm

Wabash wrote:Who flipped the bird? Anne Hathaway or Jennifer Lawrence? Lawrence is the one that fell on her to the podium.

Wabash, Hathaway won for Supporting Actress...
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:30 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:. . . I think Red's complaint is that Argo was chosen for political reasons.

If Argo was chosen best picture for political reasons, one would think Ben Afleck would at least have been nominated (and probably won) for best director for the same reasons. Unless all those liberal Democratic Hollywood types are also Buddhist or Hindu and voted for Pi's Ang Lee for religious reasons. I think in this case the political conspiracy theory takes a dump.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:40 pm

One minor point - the voting pools for categories are different. Only directors vote for Best Director, but all Academy members get to vote for Best Picture.

But I agree, as far as Red's vast Hollywood Conspiracy Theory goes, there is no there there.
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:31 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:Of course there are tons of political movies, but I think Red's complaint is that Argo was chosen for political reasons. If that is true, I wonder what he thinks those reasons are. One could argue that conservative members voted for it because it made Carter look bad (insert your gratuitous Carter dig here).

I doubt conservatives appreciated the voice over by Carter while the credits were rolling. He states that while he knew about the Argo operation he couldn't say anything because there were still hostages. So he remained mum. Who knows, it might have made the difference in his election given how much blame conservatives heaped on him for the disaster that occurred at Desert One.

Red

Postby Red » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:21 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:One minor point - the voting pools for categories are different. Only directors vote for Best Director, but all Academy members get to vote for Best Picture.

But I agree, as far as Red's vast Hollywood Conspiracy Theory goes, there is no there there.

Hey Bongo, go pound sand. It was a joke. Must be fun trying to read my mind. Argo SUCKED. 99% of the thanks for getting those people out of carter's favorite leader goes to the Canadian. Leave to the hollyweirds idiots to re-write history!

Notorious

Postby Notorious » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:24 pm

pattywannamack wrote:
SoMelo, it's irresponsible to ignore a film were the President personally joins the air-force to combat aliens.

I for one think that Air Force One forecasts a telling prophecy by pitting Han Solo against the Al Qaeda insurgency that boards his presidential aircraft.

Both films are rife with imagery that is relevant for our times.

One of the meanest things I've ever done is convince an autistic kid the Independence Day was a historically accurate movies.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

Return to “Movies”