Captain Phillips

Wabash

Captain Phillips

Postby Wabash » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:44 am

Just saw this movie on video.

Great performances by Tom Hanks and Barkhad Abdi.

Barkhad is amazing considering he had zero acting experience.

Even though you know how it ends it is well done.

They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

not4u13

Re: Captain Phillips

Postby not4u13 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:12 am

Completely agree. Very well done. It was amazing how suspenseful and interesting it was even though the outcome was well established.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

Luca

Postby Luca » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:00 pm

I don't think I've ever seen a Tom Hanks movie that was not well done. It was an inadvertently funny moment when the pirates start high-fiving each other when they find out it's an American ship thinking they've hit a gold mine. They had no idea what they had started.

When you see what the pirates have to do to actually board one of the ships you wonder why they just don't station a single guy or two with an M-16 or SAW on them. It doesn't seem that it would be hard to prevent a boarding..................Luca

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:14 pm

Because most of nations that are ports of call in that region have very strict gun laws.

Though I would think maritime security would be a great market niche for a firm like Blackwater (or whatever they are called now).
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Bubba#35

Postby Bubba#35 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:05 pm

No, it's because the insurance companies won't allow it. They would much rather pay the money for the lost cargo than pending law suits if a crew member should get killed or injured defending the ship. There was even some scuttlebutt on informational emails I used to get before I retired that the ins companies worked deals with the pirates after the fact in which they would regain the cargo by paying off the pirates and it was cheaper then paying off the insurance policies.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:44 pm

After the Maersk Alabama hijacking I got an email telling me it was strict gun laws.

Your explanation sounds much more plausible.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:00 am

This is definitely a thread for Trog to chime in. Like to hear from a real live Cap'n!

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:49 am

An interesting development on the Maersk Alabama.

Link

The ship had onboard security via a private firm named Trident Security. Two of their employees were recently found dead while the ship was in port in the Seychelles. Both of them were ex-SEALS. Pirates have attacked the ship since the 2009 incident but were repelled by security.

A follow-up story states drugs and paraphernalia were found in the cabin of the victims.

joefutbol

Postby joefutbol » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:04 am

Drugs or murder. Or both......

Return to “Movies”