Spike Lee and Jada Smith call for Oscar Boycott

Brooke

Re: The Demand For Villains

Postby Brooke » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:14 pm

Eeew, after reading that drivel I am dangerously close to throwing up all over my keyboard.

Of course, Obama didn't even mention all those decades of affirmative action that put (and still does) less qualified minorities ahead of more qualified whites. Unfortunately, many minorities who were given access to attend elite universities were unqualified and eventually flunked out or graduated at the bottom of their class. We also know that included jobs they weren't qualified for as well.

It also cast a shadow of doubt over all recipients of affirmative action who did graduate or succeed because many would naturally wonder if they could have done it on their own. Or were they inferior and needed extraordinary help that ruined the dreams of the more qualified and those who deserved those places in our universities and the better jobs.

Dr. Sowell is also an expert on the failure of affirmative action.

So, what are minorities to do? If they don't have the interest and drive to be successful at whatever field they are interested in, I think they should just keep quiet. Do it on their own merit and stop the whining. It's unseemly. If they can't make it in the USA; they can't make it anywhere.

Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

broman

Postby broman » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:31 pm

Eeew, after reading that drivel I am dangerously close to throwing up all over my keyboard.

Make sure you get that hood off first!

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:39 pm

White men can't jump,
Scotsmen can't play tennis,
Black men can't kick.

It's just one of those things you'll have to learn to live with, Tom.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

afan95

Re: Spike Lee and Jada Smith call for Oscar Boycott

Postby afan95 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:25 am

So watching the trailer for the Coen brothers movie and see all white faces. But I do see George Clooney who spoke out about the diversity issue. If he's so upset about it, why would he star in a movie where the actors appear to be all caucasian?
Why don't all these Hollywood actors who are so upset about this issue refuse to star in a movie unless one of the major stars is non-caucasian?
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:37 am

Brooke wrote:Just in case anyone is interested the thread The Demand for Villains is related to this topic.

Thanks for pointing that out. Consider them merged.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:44 am

The more I hear and read about this “tempest in a teapot” (to use the currently popular aphorism), the more it begins to sound like a curious case study in leftthink.

First it was announced that for the second consecutive year, no “persons of color” were nominated for the academy’s 20 best/supporting actor/actress awards. Then it was revealed that not only is the academy membership 94% white, but it is also primarily composed of old men. The not so subtle implication is that something nefarious, like racism, is at work in the nomination process. That might have some merit….except for two facts.

1) It’s true that the academy’s almost 6,200 members are disproportionately white, old and male. However, it’s not the academy that selects the 20 actor nominees. It’s the roughly 1,140 members of the actors branch of the academy – a branch that is not only heavily represented by young, female and minority members, but that is also overwhelmingly liberal.

2) This is also the same old, white, male academy that in the past several years has honored Morgan Freeman, Denzel Washington, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Gabourney Sidibe, Viola Davis, Quvenzhane Wallis, Barkhad Abdi, Mo’Nique, Octavia Spencer, Lupita Nyong’o, Lee Daniels, Steve McQueen, Precious, Django Unchained, 12 Years A Slave and Selma as nominees and/or Oscar winners. This is an industry that perhaps more than any other, bends over backwards to convince people how enlightened it is when it comes to race, diversity and inclusion. It’s a little far-fetched to believe they suddenly all turned into hooded Klansmen who refuse to recognize black achievement.

The knee-jerk outrage from the left and the industry has been predictable. Spike Lee is boycotting the ceremony. Lee is a black man who has been nominated twice, and just last year was given an honorary Oscar for his career achievements. Jada Pinkett-Smith is also boycotting the ceremony. Jada isn’t good enough to ever have been nominated, but her husband is Will Smith. Will is a black man who’s been nominated twice for best actor. Coincidentally, both times he was nominated, he lost….to black men.

The call for changes in the membership process has been swift. The most popular changes are (a) to no longer require those old, white men to sponsor new members, thereby reducing their influence, and (b) to remove from membership any member who has been inactive in the industry for ten years, thereby eliminating some more of those old, white men. The result will be an academy membership that looks more like the actors branch….the group that hasn’t nominated a person of color in their last 40 nominations. I suppose the concern is that all those old, white men do the racist thing and vote their skin color when choosing nominees, even though the history of the academy’s nominations suggest otherwise. The hope must be that this new, diverse membership will do the racist thing and vote their skin color, thereby increasing the likelihood of more people of color being nominated.

Only a left-leaning industry like this one would take a problem that may not exist, and almost certainly isn’t racist, and fix it with a solution that hopefully is.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:55 am

Always blaming the left for everything echoes like a "tempest in a teapot."
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:22 am

Sounds to me like there are a few people on the left here who didn't get the memo.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:04 pm

Excellent counter-argument, guys. Very factual, detailed and well-reasoned.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:21 pm

Sorry. I already posted pretty much what you said. Less knowledgeable or less well researched, but about the same point. Old white guys aren't going to watch a movie about a rap group and not many people who saw Rocky I or II are going to be all that interested in spending two hours or so watching Rocky XXVIIIIIIIII. And I don't think even Wabash wanted to argue about it.

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:13 pm

Parrotpaul: Always blaming the left for everything echoes like a "tempest in a teapot."

Parrotpaul, the evidence is overwhelming that the left's ideology sucks. Where is your evidence that proves the contrary? I haven't seen any yet. :roll:
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:25 pm

JQP wrote:Old white guys aren't going to watch a movie about a rap group and not many people who saw Rocky I or II are going to be all that interested in spending two hours or so watching Rocky XXVIIIIIIIII.
I disagree, John. Straight Outta Compton made $161 million domestically, compared to $10 million for Room, $31 million for Brooklyn, and $35 million for Spotlight, all of which were nominated. I’d be willing to bet that a lot more academy members saw Compton than those other three flicks. Why can’t we entertain the possibility that after spending two hours listening to a bunch of guys dropping f-bombs every other word, not everybody will consider that great cinema?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:57 pm

I don't disagree. It might have been the greatest movie ever made but this old white guy had no interest.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:35 pm

MDDad wrote:It’s the roughly 1,140 members of the actors branch of the academy – a branch that is not only heavily represented by young, female and minority members, but that is also overwhelmingly liberal

Are you making this up? "Heavily represented" by minority members??? I did some poking around and found an LA TImes survey showing that the actor's branch is 88% Caucasian, pretty much the same as the overall membership. Explain your statment, please, and while you're at it show me a study that details the age, gender, and political beliefs of the actors branch as well, because somehow I don't believe those claims without proof, either.

Fun fact: As of 2012, of the 1,000 candidates offered overall Academy membership in the preceding ten years, 89% were white and 73% were men.

MDDad wrote:This is also the same old, white, male academy that in the past several years has honored Morgan Freeman, Denzel Washington, Chiwetel Ejiofor...

And the same Academy that has not nominated a person of color for an acting award in the last two years (40 nominations) and that in 2010, for example, held a celebration of diversity where not a single minority was among the 45 people nominated for actor, actress, supporting actor and actress, director and original and adapted screenplay. If you're going to trumpet a list of a dozen minority recent nominees as proof of diversity, let's also note that in the 87-year history of the Oscars less than 4% of the acting awards have been given to African Americans.

MDDad wrote:The knee-jerk outrage from the left and the industry has been predictable. Spike Lee is boycotting the ceremony. Lee is a black man...

Excuse me, but your rant about the "ungrateful" Spike Lee mirrors the amazement slave owners professed at the temerity of well-treated slaves who failed to exhibit absolute loyalty ... Lee is entitled to make a statement, and he did. And look at the results...I think a lot of your outrage is because he was so successful at calling attention to the problem and spurring action. As for Pinkett-Smith, you're coming off as more than a bit petty...
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:59 am

It took me seven months, but I finally got around to watching Concussion last night, with Will Smith as Dr. Bennet Omalu. I’ve also seen Trumbo, Steve Jobs, The Revenant, The Danish Girl and The Martian, which included all five actors nominated for best actor last year.

In my opinion, Will Smith did not deserve a nomination over any of the five actors in those films. He gave an excellent performance, but so did those others, and their roles were more challenging. If Jada Smith wants to play the easiest card in the deck, that’s up to her, but in this case she’s just plain wrong.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:34 pm

The only one of those roles I would consider even remotely "challenging" was Leo DiCaprio's for freezing his ass off for months of filming in bear skins in the Canadian winter, much of it while soaking wet. What exactly did you find challenging about Matt Damon growing potatoes in a tent and drivng around the desert in a dune buggy or Michael Fassbender playing a computer geek?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:01 pm

Watch the Frontline episode called: NFL League of Denial.

It describes the plight of the doctor portrayed by Smith.

I believe you will like it more than the movie.

League of Denial
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Return to “Movies”