The Hidden Figures

Parrotpaul

The Hidden Figures

Postby Parrotpaul » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:58 am

My wife and I just saw The Hidden Figures. I can't remember the last time we actually went to a theater, but if this film doesn't win a bunch of Oscars, Hollywood will have dropped the ball. Engaging, emotional, historical, and most of it takes place during the Spring of 1961...my HS graduation year. This is a must see film on several levels...the story, the events, and the wonderful women the film portrays combine to make a thoroughly enjoyable 2+ hours...see it...you won't be disappointed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wfrDhgUMGI

"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Fordama

Re: The Hidden Figures

Postby Fordama » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:46 am

I heard about their story several years ago after one of them passed away. They did amazing work!

The sheer amount of grind-it-out mathematics they had to do back in those days is staggering to me. Working out sophisticated equations by hand with numbers that would have 10 or 20 decimal places. They were so accurate that they used them to check the work of early computers.

Amazing people.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:29 am

What always blows my mind about the space programs is the fact that much of the math had to be developed after the fact...they didn't know how to get the astronauts home until they landed on the moon...then they could do the numbers. Amazing men and women in the entire program...especially the astronauts who took the rides not knowing if they would ever return.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:37 am

That's why they called it The Right Stuff, baby.

broman

Postby broman » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:55 pm

Right along with another classic October Sky.

Return to “Movies”