Cosmos

Vilepagan

Cosmos

Postby Vilepagan » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:16 am

I've been watching the series for three weeks now, and I think it's quite good. People who believe in "creationism" feel differently and have demanded "equal time" to air their dissenting views.

http://www.ajc.com/news/entertainment/c ... mos/nfKG4/

Last week's episode was unflinching in its support for evolution and specifically targeted ideas put forward by "creationists" and showed why those ideas are wrong.

There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

Parrotpaul

Re: Cosmos

Postby Parrotpaul » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:36 am

We watch the series as well, and now that it has become the target of creationists, I'm certain Tyson will again soon be one of Bill Maher's guests. He has appeared several times, and it's always a terrific show when he sits on the panel. Cosmos is well done and most informative.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

18echo
Oversight Committee

Postby 18echo » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:47 am

I only caught the first episode, but am recording the rest to catch up.
I am hooked.

It is a shame that the fundies draw such a disproportionate share of news coverage, considering that Tyson as well as most religious people feel that religion and science need not contradict each other.

I think the first episode would have been better served if it spent less time on the Giordano Bruno narrative and a little time on Monseigneur Georges Henri Joseph Édouard Lemaître, who was actually responsible for the concepts of Hubble's Law, the Hubble Constant and the Big Bang Theory.

But I am glad that Cosmos is now getting done with a big budget.
"Hoc spatium adsuesco assuesco pro profunda rhetoricam."

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:08 am

Ironic how the fundies demand equal time for creationism in programming but never want to give evolution equal time in their programming.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:58 pm

They've done a great job with the show so far. Great use of special effects without making the effects themselves the stars.

As far as the creationists go, I'm not clamoring for the 700 Club to give evolution any significant time on their show.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Return to “TV”