Longmire cancellation

sbayhills

Longmire cancellation

Postby sbayhills » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:45 am

I don't know if anyone else had a chance to watch Longmire on A& E. A great show. Because of the show, I also read all of the books by Craig Johnson, the Walt Longmire Mystery Series. Although the book and the TV show differ slightly, I enjoy them both. It has become one of my favorites in both genres.

The network recently cancelled the TV show after 3 seasons. The show was their highest rated scripted series in the cable networks history. The "faithful" called the Longmire Posse, has not taken this well. This article is about the backlash the network is taking from the cancellation, and how it could affect their reality lineup of shows such as Duck Dynasty.

If anyone is looking for a good read. Please try the books. If you're looking for a great show, with a great cast, and unbelievable, on location scenery, please watch Longmire.

http://highlighthollywood.com/2014/09/l ... wood-news/

Parrotpaul

Re: Longmire cancellation

Postby Parrotpaul » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:30 am

It was actually filmed around Santa Fe. I liked the show...great cowboy hats, but the third season left me a little scrambled. As what happens with most long-running shows that begin to lose my interest, the writers get too much into the private lives of the participants, and those scenarios take over the shows. The writers tend to lose interest in what the showa are about...sheriffs doing what sheriffs do, lawyers doing what lawyers do, and so forth. JUSTIFIED has lost its focus on the Raylan Givens character...putting him in the background and concentrating more on developing scenarios and characters around him. Raylan now is not the Raylan we saw in the first couple seasons.

I'm waiting for the Fall shows to start again.....and the NFL season is underway. YEEEEHAWWWW!!!
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:42 am

One plus these days for shows with a strong fanbase is that moving to different networks is much easier.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:44 am

This next season will be the last for JUSTIFIED. Great show.

Same with Sons of Anarchy. Both shows are well done. Both are getting to the tipping point of being monotonous and predictable IMO. It is probably a good thing that the shows writers are sewing up the story lines.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

sbayhills

Postby sbayhills » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:54 am

The TV show is different than the books, as each book has a mystery involved, and the TV show does follow a story line, or theme. I didn't have a problem with that as I enjoyed the character development, and the story line.

Yes, I know that the area around Santa Fe substitutes for the mythical Absaroca County of Northern Wyoming. I love the scenery. Yes, I do also enjoy their Western Hats. I hope someone picks up this show, and gives the viewers more than the 10 episodes we got last year.

Brooke

Postby Brooke » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:19 pm

I am sorry to hear that Longmire has been cancelled. I really like that show.

I am going to contact A & E and complain.
Who in their right mind uses a welcome sign to mean people who would come into their home uninvited, paid by their neighbors who are using their illegal labor, overrun the neighborhood, and refuse to leave?

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:15 am

Here's an article from the WSJ that discusses the company reasoning for cancelling "Longmire," a very popular show.....the same reasoning why we no longer see "Harry's Law" or "Glades"....the viewing audience was too old.

Unfortunately for "Longmire," it has the wrong audience and the wrong owner. A&E said it pulled the plug on "Longmire" because it appeals primarily to older viewers—the median age of the show's viewers is 60 versus 48 for the network as a whole—and it doesn't have an ownership stake in the show. A&E is a unit of A+E Networks, a joint-venture between Walt Disney Co. DIS +0.38% and Hearst Corp.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/why-a-hi ... 1410451057
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

sbayhills

Postby sbayhills » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:37 pm

I've never understood that age demographic thing. I certainly have more disposable income now than I did when all the kids were at home and in school/college. We keep hearing that 60 is the new 40, but that doesn't apply to TV?

Whatever their reasons, the suits at A & E are in the middle of a PR problem.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:47 pm

I certainly have more disposable income now than I did when all the kids were at home
I think that's exactly the point. When you're over 60, that income is "disposable", but when you're under 50, it's "disposed of". Besides, there's lot more profit margin in iPods, video games and snowboards than there is in Dentu-Creme, Depends and Preparation H.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:05 pm

This was a popular Coke commercial and slogan campaign the year I graduated from college...1971. Remember, "It's the real thing....."? To whom were they selling stuff back than? Me. Now that I have more disposable cash then back then when $.50 would buy five bottles of Coke, a pack of cigs, a gallon of gas, two 12OZ beers, and a mixed drink...but not all at once....they aren't interested in my money. ***k 'em. Enjoy the good old days circa 1971. Kind of maudlin and dated. Too bad all those folks didn't exactly intermingle in perfect harmony. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2msbfN81Gm0

sbayhills

Postby sbayhills » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:05 pm

Besides, there's lot more profit margin in iPods, video games and snowboards than there is in Dentu-Creme, Depends and Preparation H.

:lol:

Not if 60 is the new 40. I know when I was growing up, 60 was old. Look at those who turn 60 now. They're buying iPods while they jog instead of walking with a cane. Heck, ParrotPaul could still run a marathon.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:02 pm

Half marathon...maybe. I'll be 71 in a couple weeks, and I still do everything I want to do...the fingers get sore from arthritis, but the rest of me is OK.

Return to “TV”