Notable Death 2018...Roseanne

Omar Bongo

Re: Notable Death 2018...Roseanne

Postby Omar Bongo » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:48 pm

Professor Fate wrote:Source of the post How did Ted Nugent get into the conversation? Are you giving up on the issue at hand and wanting to turn this into a contest to see who can compile the longest list of idiots on the opposing side? Count me out.

Supreme irony from the guy who's ranting about Samantha Bee in this thread about Roseanne

"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:24 pm

Try again Omar. I'm not the one who introduced Samantha Bee into this thread. Now do you have anything of value to say, or are you just trolling?
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:00 am

A little perspective.

Michelle Wolf mentioned Sarah Sanders eye shadow and many conservatives went nuts.

That same group has said nothing after Barr called a woman an ape.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Bick

Postby Bick » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:53 am

John Q. Public wrote:Source of the post The word is relevant to the discussion, just like ****hole was a couple months ago. Quoting Samantha Bee calling Ivanka Trump one is very different from you or I calling her one.

Thanks for clearing that up. Can you believe Clint would say something like this?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:26 am

That one's been misattributed over the years, but I'm pretty sure that version is from a TED Talk given by Rene Descartes where he incorrectly paraphrased Oliver Wendell Holmes.

It's also not relevant to the discussion.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Bick

Postby Bick » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:09 am

John Q. Public wrote:Source of the post That one's been misattributed over the years, but I'm pretty sure that version is from a TED Talk given by Rene Descartes where he incorrectly paraphrased Oliver Wendell Holmes.

It's also not relevant to the discussion.

Or maybe those really were his words a couple years ago...

ESQ: Your characters have become touchstones in the culture, whether it's Reagan invoking "Make my day" or now Trump … I swear he's even practiced your scowl.

CE: Maybe. But he's onto something, because secretly everybody's getting tired of political correctness, kissing up. That's the kiss-ass generation we're in right now. We're really in a (term I like to refer to myself as) generation. Everybody's walking on eggshells. We see people accusing people of being racist and all kinds of stuff. When I grew up, those things weren't called racist.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/a ... -eastwood/

I thought the point PF was making was the use of certain female body part terms. I don't completely agree with him. I don't think it's at all acceptable to call a woman, including Hillary, what Bee and Fields did, nor Bill Maher to call Sarah Palin a dumb tw#t. But I do happen to strongly agree with Clint.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:26 am

I have to ask about those who complain about political correctness.

What has political correctness stopped them from doing?
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:15 pm

Here's one example:

The California law SB 219 that allows jail time for using wrong gender pronoun .
Last edited by Professor Fate on Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:20 pm

Wabash wrote:What has political correctness stopped them from doing?

Well, for one thing, speaking or writing without having to wonder about and second-guess the potential offensiveness of every word to those who are overly sensitive and perpetually offended.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:34 pm

Could you give an example?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:30 pm

Professor Fate wrote:Here's one example:

The California law SB 179 that allows jail time for using wrong gender pronoun .

I just read the entire bill and I didn't see anything about that.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/face ... 20180SB179

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:34 pm

We found groups such as Breitbart and Fox News crammed misleading information into short news headlines, greatly distorting the facts about the use of pronouns or leaving out key information that would have given a different impression.

But we also found an element of truth: Violations of the bill could, under limited circumstances, be treated as a misdemeanor with punishment of up to one year in jail and/or a $1,000 fine.

http://www.politifact.com/california/ar ... ng-jail-/#

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:04 pm

1. You had the wrong bill. SB 179 is about the procedures for legally changing your gender identity and doesn't mention any penalties.

2. Thanks for the link pointing out that your claim (about SB 219) is BS.

But the headlines, and some of the articles that follow, don’t fully explain the high bar necessary for criminal prosecution. Calling someone by the wrong pronoun would have to be repeated and willful, as some articles detail. But this action would also have to put a [nursing home] resident at risk of death or serious physical harm -- though at least one religious liberty group disputes that this would be necessary to bring criminal charges.

The bar's so high I couldn't imagine what that situation would be.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:41 pm

1. Thank You, JQP. I don't know where I got that other number. I edited it to show SB 219.

2. No matter how high the bar is...it is still a threat to prosecute free speech, if that so-called free speech is not PC enough.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:48 pm

No, if that free speech causes death or serious physical harm. Just like yelling "fire" in a crowded theater. Except near impossible to do.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:33 pm

MDDad wrote:Well, for one thing, speaking or writing without having to wonder about and second-guess the potential offensiveness of every word to those who are overly sensitive and perpetually offended.

It sounds like your issue is with people objecting to others being a**holes.

Bick

Postby Bick » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:04 pm

MDDad wrote:Source of the post those who are overly sensitive and perpetually offended

I can't imagine who you're talking about. Clint had it right. Pretty sure he was referring to the left leaning, pink hat wearing, anthem protesting sorts. Too bad he's nearly 90 - would like to get behind someone like that instead of the current metrosexual choices.

Trump can't get out of his own way, and actually acts like a p***y himself with some of his twitter hand-wringing.

Need a MAN to lead this country.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:03 pm

John Q. Public wrote:Source of the post The bar's so high I couldn't imagine what that situation would be.

Nursing home.

Nursing turnover.

Night nurse tells day nurse "He had a bad night last night."

Male patient, who thinks he's really a woman, overhears and throws a hissy fit, then has a seizure.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:00 pm

Like I said, near impossible.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:18 pm

Bick wrote:Source of the post Pretty sure he was referring to the left leaning, pink hat wearing, anthem protesting sorts.

Who is it that's protesting the anthem? Do they not care for ours, or do they just dislike anthems in general?
"Trump is what he is, a floundering, inarticulate jumble of gnawing insecurities and not-at-all compensating vanities, which is pathetic."
George Will

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Return to “TV”