Greatest Debut Albums of All Time

Post by Datsun 510 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:57 pm

I'll start off with...

My Aim Is True - Elvis Costello - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Aim_Is_True

What a freakin' masterpiece!

Datsun 510

Post by Datsun 510 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:56 pm

Are You Experienced?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Are_You_Ex ... ed_(album)

I like the bluesy, foggy, depressing quality of it. It didn't much matter if he was a genius guitar player or not... it had great ambience!

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:30 am

You got me thinking but I'm drawing a complete blank on 1st albums that I personally love. Or maybe it's that there are too many to single out. I can think of a few people whose first albums were much better than their current ones, though - Jonny Lang for one.

And then there are the people whose first albums had huge impacts, whether we liked them or not, like Dylan, Simon and Garfunkle, The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Cream, King Crimson, Genesis, Yes, The Ramones (the anti-Yes), The Germs (yes, the Germs), Led Zeppelin, Kiss, Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five, Britney Spears #-o and whoever it was who redirected R&B from James Brown and the Temptations into its current sorry state.

And then there were these guys, whose first album didn't really go over very well.

Datsun 510

Post by Datsun 510 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:51 pm

John Q. Public wrote:You got me thinking but I'm drawing a complete blank on 1st albums that I personally love. Or maybe it's that there are too many to single out. I can think of a few people whose first albums were much better than their current ones, though - Jonny Lang for one.

And then there are the people whose first albums had huge impacts, whether we liked them or not, like Dylan, Simon and Garfunkle, The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Cream, King Crimson, Genesis, Yes, The Ramones (the anti-Yes), The Germs (yes, the Germs), Led Zeppelin, Kiss, Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five, Britney Spears #-o and whoever it was who redirected R&B from James Brown and the Temptations into its current sorry state.

And then there were these guys, whose first album didn't really go over very well.
Haven't heard of Jonny Lang. Do you think his debut album is something you'll be raving about 25 years from now?

The Germs still get good press! :P

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:43 pm

Datsun 510 wrote:Haven't heard of Jonny Lang. Do you think his debut album is something you'll be raving about 25 years from now?
Probably. And lamenting that his fourth and fifth albums sucked so badly. You reeeeealy missed it. At the age of 17 he was considered to be the next great bluesman. Then, somewhere in his early twenties, he got married, found God, and now his music pretty much sucks. Shame. But then I also think that Fleetwood Mac's music went to hell when Peter Green left. Here's a YouTube search for him:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jonny+lang
Datsun 510 wrote:The Germs still get good press! :P
Except for that little incident when the NBPD said Don's shampoo (???) tested positive for drugs. And how could they do a revival tour without Darby? It's like the Beatles doing a revival tour with, "And playing the part of John...."

Oh. And I'd like to retract that thing about Genesis' first album. It wasn't really all that good. They got better after that, though.

Datsun 510

Post by Datsun 510 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:38 pm

John Q. Public wrote: Probably. And lamenting that his fourth and fifth albums sucked so badly. You reeeeealy missed it. At the age of 17 he was considered to be the next great bluesman. Then, somewhere in his early twenties, he got married, found God, and now his music pretty much sucks. Shame. But then I also think that Fleetwood Mac's music went to hell when Peter Green left. Here's a YouTube search for him:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jonny+lang

Except for that little incident when the NBPD said Don's shampoo (???) tested positive for drugs. And how could they do a revival tour without Darby? It's like the Beatles doing a revival tour with, "And playing the part of John...."

Oh. And I'd like to retract that thing about Genesis' first album. It wasn't really all that good. They got better after that, though.
There was a lot I didn't know (or appreciate) about the Germs until I read We Got the Neutron Bomb -- it was enlightening to read what other musicians had to say with respect to the Germs presence in L.A.

Peter Green, Danny Kirwin, Jeremy Spencer... that was the primo FM line up =D>

ThomasDad

Post by ThomasDad » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:38 am

The Pretenders' eponymous debut album (they were albums back then).

"Precious" 3:36
"The Phone Call" 2:29
"Up the Neck" 4:27
"Tattooed Love Boys" 2:59
"Space Invader" 3:26
"The Wait" 3:35
"Stop Your Sobbing" 2:38
"Kid" 3:06
"Private Life" 6:25

From the same era (a few years older), another self-titled debut, "Dire Straits"

"Down To The Waterline" – 3:55
"Water Of Love" – 5:23
"Setting Me Up" – 3:18
"Six Blade Knife" – 4:10
"Southbound Again" – 2:58
"Sultans of Swing" – 5:47
"In The Gallery" – 6:16
"Wild West End" – 4:42
"Lions" – 5:05

Coldplay's "Parachutes"

"Don't Panic" – 2:17
"Shiver" – 4:59
"Spies" – 5:18
"Sparks" – 3:47
"Yellow" – 4:29
"Trouble" – 4:30
"Parachutes" – 0:46
"High Speed" – 4:14
"We Never Change" – 4:09
"Everything's Not Lost" – 7:15

One more: Maroon 5's "Songs About Jane"

"Harder to Breathe" – 2:55
"This Love" – 4:26
"Shiver" – 3:00
"She Will Be Loved" – 4:17
"Tangled" – 3:19
"The Sun" – 4:09
"Must Get Out" – 3:58
"Sunday Morning" – 4:03
"Secret" – 4:57
"Through With You" – 3:02
"Not Coming Home" – 4:23
"Sweetest Goodbye" – 4:30

Datsun 510

Post by Datsun 510 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:13 pm

Hey! :shock: Nice to see you here!
ThomasDad wrote:The Pretenders' eponymous debut album (they were albums back then).

"Precious" 3:36
"The Phone Call" 2:29
"Up the Neck" 4:27
"Tattooed Love Boys" 2:59
"Space Invader" 3:26
"The Wait" 3:35
"Stop Your Sobbing" 2:38
"Kid" 3:06
"Private Life" 6:25
This one is a real gem. Amazing songwriting, production, vocals, JHS guitar... it's like discovering a Beatles or Kinks album. And if I remember correctly, the videos from then were pretty entertaining too.

ThomasDad wrote: From the same era (a few years older), another self-titled debut, "Dire Straits"

"Down To The Waterline" – 3:55
"Water Of Love" – 5:23
"Setting Me Up" – 3:18
"Six Blade Knife" – 4:10
"Southbound Again" – 2:58
"Sultans of Swing" – 5:47
"In The Gallery" – 6:16
"Wild West End" – 4:42
"Lions" – 5:05
This was one of my favorite albums from back then.

ThomasDad wrote:Coldplay's "Parachutes"

"Don't Panic" – 2:17
"Shiver" – 4:59
"Spies" – 5:18
"Sparks" – 3:47
"Yellow" – 4:29
"Trouble" – 4:30
"Parachutes" – 0:46
"High Speed" – 4:14
"We Never Change" – 4:09
"Everything's Not Lost" – 7:15

One more: Maroon 5's "Songs About Jane"

"Harder to Breathe" – 2:55
"This Love" – 4:26
"Shiver" – 3:00
"She Will Be Loved" – 4:17
"Tangled" – 3:19
"The Sun" – 4:09
"Must Get Out" – 3:58
"Sunday Morning" – 4:03
"Secret" – 4:57
"Through With You" – 3:02
"Not Coming Home" – 4:23
"Sweetest Goodbye" – 4:30
I've got to dig through my compilation CDs and see if I have any of these songs. (I know I don't have the albums) Probably more great stuff I've overlooked.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:16 pm

The bride says her fav debut albums..the ones she owns...Meet The Beatles..Blind Faith...Bat Out of Hell (Meatloaf)...Days Of Future Past (Moody Blues...not technically a debut album)....John Barleycorn Has Died (Not sure if this is Traffic's debut, but it's a great album)...Court of the Crimson King (King Crimson..their only album).....Circus Maximus...can't remember the title of the album, but because of the tune WIND, the album ranks right up there....Jethro Tull...This Was.

I go back to Elvis, The Kingston Trio, The Limelighters....nevermind.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

ThomasDad

Post by ThomasDad » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:39 pm

You can tell the Bride that Traffic's ouvre is more grand than "John Barleycorn". Try "Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys".

Also, King Crimson recorded about a dozen albums, with shifting personnel. Robert Fripp was perhaps the most constant member, but Adrian Belew was part as well. Most of what was recorded by the group was highly jazz-influenced and experimental (complex rhythms) and different from the first album. "Starless and Bible Black" might be interesting for her to listen to.

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:55 pm

ThomasDad wrote:You can tell the Bride that Traffic's ouvre is more grand than "John Barleycorn". Try "Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys".

Also, King Crimson recorded about a dozen albums, with shifting personnel. Robert Fripp was perhaps the most constant member, but Adrian Belew was part as well. Most of what was recorded by the group was highly jazz-influenced and experimental (complex rhythms) and different from the first album. "Starless and Bible Black" might be interesting for her to listen to.
She says she also has "Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys," but didn't realize it was their first.

I bought her this great digitized turntable, because she has been carping for years that she hasn't been able to listen to all her great old rock and roll albums. It was an anniversary present last May...still hasn't even opened the lid.

Bride says "Low Spark..." was like their fifth album..."John Barleycorn" was #4. Debut album was "Mr. Fantasy."
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Datsun 510

Post by Datsun 510 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:52 pm

Parrotpaul wrote: I bought her this great digitized turntable, because she has been carping for years that she hasn't been able to listen to all her great old rock and roll albums. It was an anniversary present last May...still hasn't even opened the lid.
Maybe she's been waiting for you to buy her a new LP.

I'm curious how well one of those products work. I've been digitizing disks the old fashioned way, running a line from the receiver to the sound card and hitting the "Record" button. Lots of going back and forth, and retakes! #-o

Datsun 510

Post by Datsun 510 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:55 pm

Parrotpaul wrote:I go back to Elvis, The Kingston Trio, The Limelighters....nevermind.
Maybe a "Favorite Cuts of Early R&R" thread would be good :mrgreen:

Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:02 pm

Datsun 510 wrote: Maybe she's been waiting for you to buy her a new LP.

I'm curious how well one of those products work. I've been digitizing disks the old fashioned way, running a line from the receiver to the sound card and hitting the "Record" button. Lots of going back and forth, and retakes! #-o
I'll let you know as soon as she decides to get the thing set up, and she unpacks cases and cases of her albums.

I sold all my albums and replaced what I wanted with CD's. She won't do that.

ThomasDad

Post by ThomasDad » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:21 pm

Parrotpaul wrote:She says she also has "Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys," but didn't realize it was their first.

I bought her this great digitized turntable, because she has been carping for years that she hasn't been able to listen to all her great old rock and roll albums. It was an anniversary present last May...still hasn't even opened the lid.
As you subsequently found out, neither was the first. I just thought it might be a good pickup.

If you hook the USB turntable up to the computer, you can record the albums into iTunes or whatever digital music software you use, and then she can listen to them anytime, anywhere. Burn her favorite songs onto a CD and take it in the car to listen to on long drives.

The recording software that comes with the turntable can often (depending upon the software) take out the ticks and pops from old LPs and clean the audio up tremendously.

nobody

Post by nobody » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:36 pm

Elvis C debut was pretty good. I'd throw Foreigner's & Boston's debut albums as some of the better ones as well.

Datsun 510

Post by Datsun 510 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:50 pm

nobody wrote:Elvis C debut was pretty good. I'd throw Foreigner's & Boston's debut albums as some of the better ones as well.
Tom Scholz is a mastermind, no doubt about it! Recorded maybe the best sounding recorded-at-home, made-in-the-basement album ever... pretty clever songwriter too.

Fordama

Post by Fordama » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:44 pm

Heck, if somebody is going to throw Foreigner in the mix, I'll throw the Go-Go's with Beauty and the Beat. Like it or not, it was big.

Datsun 510

Post by Datsun 510 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:46 pm

Fordama wrote:Heck, if somebody is going to throw Foreigner in the mix, I'll throw the Go-Go's with Beauty and the Beat. Like it or not, it was big.

It's a great example of DIY reaching the masses. They took their L.A. punk roots to a whole 'nother level... not a bad magic trick!

nobody

Post by nobody » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:29 pm

Fordama wrote:Heck, if somebody is going to throw Foreigner in the mix, I'll throw the Go-Go's with Beauty and the Beat. Like it or not, it was big.
Come on man, you know Nobody threw it out there.

The GoGos are no match for this list of songs.

"Feels Like the First Time"
"Cold As Ice"
"Starrider"
"Headknocker"
"The Damage Is Done"
"Long, Long Way from Home"
"Woman Oh Woman"
"At War With the World"
"Fool for You Anyway"
"I Need You"