Robert Plant tears up 500 million pound contract

Parrotpaul

Robert Plant tears up 500 million pound contract

Postby Parrotpaul » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:21 am

A couple questions....Who looks worse...Robert Plant or Keith Richards? Plant is 66 and Richards will be 71 in December. Second...they stole the title "Stairway to Heaven from Neil Sedaka's great "Stairway to Heaven" .....what will you do if your hear Led Zep's "Stairway to Heaven one more time?

Plant's reasoning is sound. What in hell is a presumably very wealthy aging rock star going to do with all those pounds anyway? I doubt I would schedule a 36 city tour and all that involves if I were in his Beatle boots.

Led Zeppelin’s Robert Plant has turned down a Whole Lotta Lolly – more than £500MILLION – to reform the band for the dearest tour in history.

The rock legend ripped up Sir Richard Branson’s contract for 35 dates in three cities in front of astonished promoters after the other members of the supergroup all signed up.

The tour would have earned singer Plant and fellow founders Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones £190million each before tax.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-n ... ns-4595788

Last edited by Parrotpaul on Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Robert Plant tears up 500 million pound contract

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:53 am

Parrotpaul wrote:Second...they stole the title "Stairway to Heaven from Neil Sedaka's great "Stairway to Heaven"

And Randy California's kids say they stole the riff from Spirit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xd8AVbwB_6E
Don't look at me, I just work here.

18echo
Oversight Committee

Postby 18echo » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:12 am

Keith Richards by far.
He already looked like a cross between heroin chic and three days post-mortem back in the 1980's.

I heard Stairway one more time, last night 100.3 The Sound's My Turn listener guest DJ, they wrapped up the hour with it. I can do with hearing once a year at this point.

I respect Robert Plant's decision, it's not often you see an artist who has made it over 40 years without compromising artistic integrity. Hell, you rarely see a contract where the artist retains artistic control.
If he only wants to move forward in writing and performing, I have no beef with that.

I still appreciate it when one of my favorites is still willing to tour and play their hits, like Pink Floyd and the Stones. But Waters, Gilmore and Mick Jagger never had high registers in their voice, Plant did.
And I really don't think Robert Plant could sing Whole Lotta Love in the original key.
"Hoc spatium adsuesco assuesco pro profunda rhetoricam."

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:14 am

They are both living proof of the Indiana Jones line (from the first movie), "it ain't the years it's the miles."

There are about a dozen Led Zep tunes I really like. Stairway to Heaven isn't one of them.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:22 am

He already looked like a cross between heroin chic and three days post-mortem back in the 1980's.

But ya know what? He's outlived half of his peers! What's wrong with this picture?

Plant has been active enough in other projects that it doesn't seem like he's all that interested in playing old music. He's said he's much more interested in his new projects than he is in the old ones. It keeps his mind active, he says.

18echo
Oversight Committee

Postby 18echo » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:44 am

Post-Zepplin, I was a big fan of Page's work with the Firm.

Not a big fan of Plant's work with the Honey Drippers. Just not my taste.
"Hoc spatium adsuesco assuesco pro profunda rhetoricam."

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:16 am

Who looks worse...Robert Plant or Keith Richards?
No contest. Plant looks like Brad Pitt next to Richards. Plant just looks aged, while Richards looks like a dessicated old scrotum.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:19 am

Funny he's gotten into bluegrass lately, considering Led Zeppelin was about the loudest band of its time.

I still think he should retire and get gigs playing pirates in movies. :mrgreen:

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:40 am

No contest. Plant looks like Brad Pitt next to Richards. Plant just looks aged, while Richards looks like a dessicated old scrotum.

I've never seen a dessicated old scrotum so I'll have to take your word for it.

I've heard it said that given Richards' history of self destructive behavior he is the human version of an auto test track.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Return to “Music”